ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

I still believe that if Tony and/or Carl wished to fabricate a convincing replica of Solo's Hero prop, then it would have been a simple matter of purchasing better replica furniture (like Chris' steel scope mount assembly) instead of making this weird mount, get a matching Mauser and re-stamping the serial numbers, and adding some of the unique features like Carson's lump, etc. The fact that none of this was done leaves me to feel that they were not genuinely trying to pass off a counterfeit, but perhaps I am simply being optimistic..

EDIT: Here is a strange image I ripped from the HTML code of Bapty's website. What on earth?

006.jpg

Last edited:
I still believe that if Tony and/or Carl wished to fabricate a convincing replica of Solo's Hero prop, then it would have been a simple matter of purchasing better replica furniture (like Chris' steel scope mount assembly) instead of making this weird mount, get a matching Mauser and re-stamping the serial numbers, and adding some of the unique features like Carson's lump, etc. The fact that none of this was done leaves me to feel that they were not genuinely trying to pass off a counterfeit, but perhaps I am simply being optimistic..

EDIT: Here is a strange image I ripped from the HTML code of Bapty's website. What on earth?
Strange blaster! Cool.

I agree with your conclusions. Not sure what the end game would be. They din't try hard to make a fake. Tony had to know it wouldn't pass muster as the "original" so maybe he thought a recreation coming from Bapty with the original scope would be good enough and get some interest.?

.. but he did say it was the original... for TV or not. doesn't look good or elicit trust...

One thing to note, the R&H/Sweeney Mauser has the factual Upper undoubtedly, as does the Hero, Merr Sonn & Stunts. But a notably different Lower to the Hero, Merr Sonn & Stunts basing on the machine marks on the lower, primarily.

R&H/Sweeney is pre-ANH and the Lower doesn't match the Hero, Merr Sonns or Stunts and it also appears to possibly have the same lock-frame as the Hero as well, as noticed by scottjua, but oddly possibly on the Merr Sonn castings too as kpax noticed.

Though, I'm a bit on the fence as to why they would change the Lower from the R&H/Sweeney to a different one for the Hero & Merr Sonn if they were gonna still remove the Spacers on the Left-side and switch them to the Right-side instead, and change Lower to another with the Spacers also on the Left-side? They could have saved trouble and just kept the original R&H Lower and done the same.
I think 'The Protectors' lower is still a possibility basing on this since it's still the only publicly known Bapty Lower to already have spacers pre-ANH on the Right-side already.

Just something I think we should consider finding more info about..?

-Carson

I agree with carson.

Also just hit me that there were ESB mausers with a welded nut on the right side that are missing as well.

ESBs are MgCs and not real Mausers as far as I know.
There were two live-firing guns on set for that movie. They were able to fire a few blanks (at least) and were stupidly carried on costume for close-ups too. one MGC was used for Hoth shoots

We all used metal donut spacers for our replicas and it occured to me the spacers are probably identical to the ANH ones, since they needed them to fire

One thing to note, the R&H/Sweeney Mauser has the factual Upper undoubtedly, as does the Hero, Merr Sonn & Stunts. But a notably different Lower to the Hero, Merr Sonn & Stunts basing on the machine marks on the lower, primarily.

R&H/Sweeney is pre-ANH and the Lower doesn't match the Hero, Merr Sonns or Stunts and it also appears to possibly have the same lock-frame as the Hero as well, as noticed by scottjua, but oddly possibly on the Merr Sonn castings too as kpax noticed.

Though, I'm a bit on the fence as to why they would change the Lower from the R&H/Sweeney to a different one for the Hero & Merr Sonn if they were gonna still remove the Spacers on the Left-side and switch them to the Right-side instead, and change Lower to another with the Spacers also on the Left-side? They could have saved trouble and just kept the original R&H Lower and done the same.
I think 'The Protectors' lower is still a possibility basing on this since it's still the only publicly known Bapty Lower to already have spacers pre-ANH on the Right-side already.

Just something I think we should consider finding more info about..?

-Carson
I agree but the MerrSonn castings are from the hero Mauser. The details and markers show this definitively. They do not show right side mounts.
Can’t be the Protectors Mauser IMO.

Last edited:
There were two live-firing guns on set for that movie. They were able to fire a few blanks (at least) and were stupidly carried on costume for close-ups too. one MGC was used for Hoth shoots

We all used metal donut spacers for our replicas and it occured to me the spacers are probably identical to the ANH ones, since they needed them to fire
I don’t think the ESB guns were “blank fire”

If I remember correctly they fired “caps” as far as I know. There were some MGC guns that fired caps and ejected shells. If you watch the BTS videos you can see and hear the difference.

What do you mean donut spacers needed to fire?

Last edited:
I think these are from Scottjua - I've never heard the Han/Luke ones were MGCs (click for larger)
BespinBlasterRightSide.jpgBespinLeftSide Detail.jpg

I was comparing the mounting technique, welding on a threaded nut to the side of the pistol

I think these are from Scottjua - I've never heard the Han/Luke ones were MGCs (click for larger)
View attachment 1536775View attachment 1536776

I was comparing the mounting technique, welding on a threaded nut to the side of
View attachment 1536775View attachment 1536776

I was comparing the mounting technique, welding on a threaded nut to the side of the pistol
After ANH I don’t think they used blank fire or real/deactivated Mausers again.
I think they were all MGC or cast.

I think they were all MGC or cast.
Bespin hero (UK) was a real Mauser, Hoth hero (Norway) was an MGC, Dagobah (UK) was a cast.
Bespin Duel stunt (UK) was a cast, Bespin stunt “we’d be honored if you’d join us”(UK) was a cast.

In ROTJ a real Mauser was utilized for a portion of the Endor bunker battle.
The prop is known as the “Stembridge” in reference to the armourer.

I’ve been working on a sort of DL44 primer that goes into some further detail
here.

Last edited:
Bespin hero (UK) was a real Mauser, Hoth hero (Norway) was an MGC, Dagobah (UK) was a cast.
Bespin Duel stunt (UK) was a cast, Bespin stunt “we’d be honored if you’d join us”(UK) was a cast.

In ROTJ a real Mauser was utilized for a portion of the Endor bunker battle.
The prop is known as the “Stembridge” in reference to the armourer.

I’ve been working on a sort of DL44 primer that goes into some further detail
here.
Good info! Thanks!

Was the Bespin Mauser a blank fire or deactivated?

I also thought there was a possibility that the bunker Frankenstein DL44 Solo has in the deleted scene was maybe the PS base gun.

I was thinking that maybe it was a backup Mauser with bull barrel and left side mount studs.
The ANH Mauser must have been damaged or destroyed by time ROTJ was filming because the bunker gun had the Hero scope snd mount. (reversed) but no mystery disc or grill.

Todd said Tony told him there was a backup. But that was lost too but this is at least 3rd hand info and could be confused or misunderstood.
With Carl telling the story it could be all discombobulated!

Thank you.
The Bespin Mauser defiantly fired blanks, as demonstrated by Harrison closing his eyes while firing.
View attachment 1536847

In this scene, I remember a "making of" behind the scenes video showing the way they filmed Vader pulling the gun out of Han's hand.

I "think" this was a cap fire MCG because of the popping noise and shell ejection as I recall.

After Ford fires the gun, he freezes and a prop guy exchanges the cap fire with a stunt gun with a string attached which they yank out of Ford's hand.

Then they reverse the shot and "throw" stunt guns to Vader over and over until he catches one cleanly and convincingly.

I am trying to find it. Someone in this thread years ago posted it.

This is when they yanked the gun out of his hand.

dinner with vader.jpg

It’s the same Mauser that Luke is holding in the pics posted by thd9791 a few posts up. Defiantly not an MGC. You’re correct that a resin blaster was used for the throw/catch.

found it.
Starts at 1:03

I think these are cap fire. Blanks are usually MUCH louder and more smoke/flash.

I'll try to find the ANH vid and pics that show the difference.

It’s the same Mauser that Luke is holding in the pics posted by thd9791 a few posts up. Defiantly not an MGC. You’re correct that a resin blaster was used for the throw/catch.
Could well be.
Seem very mild tho compared to the ANH.
I don't doubt there is a real hero Mauser Bespin blaster. Just wondering if the one in this vid is or not.

It’s more logically likely that if there was a Mauser used as a prop, that blanks would be fired from that weapon than a hitherto unidentified pfc MGC.
The greeblie details match each other as well, aluminum flash hider, scope, bracket, etc.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back