ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

I never had one of the old ones, though I drooled over it a lot (his was the first good one!). I'm wasn't aware of the round knurl at the time, so not certain, but I'm pretty sure that the engraving looked like the one pictured on his site. This is a bit of a bummer, his flash hider, bull barrel, and scope mount are my favorites. I'd guess that maybe they've switched manufacturers? The crooked knurl is a major bummer, you should write to them about it, I'll bet they'll replace it (unless they're all like that), they've done similarly for me in the past.

I never had one of the old ones, though I drooled over it a lot (his was the first good one!). I'm wasn't aware of the round knurl at the time, so not certain, but I'm pretty sure that the engraving looked like the one pictured on his site. This is a bit of a bummer, his flash hider, bull barrel, and scope mount are my favorites. I'd guess that maybe they've switched manufacturers? The crooked knurl is a major bummer, you should write to them about it, I'll bet they'll replace it (unless they're all like that), they've done similarly for me in the past.

The one on Todd's site has the correct engraving; it is clearly MUCH larger (correctly sized), and also has the correct × symbol (most replicas merely used x for a long time). You can tell the website photo (correctly) uses the × symbol because it is roughly centered to the 3 itself, wheras the x letter sits lower and is much larger. There is also the knurling issue still; which again, shows the correct knurl pattern on his listing image.

scope_front__22200.1587750062.jpg

Last edited:
Again, just to compare.

Todd's (tiny lettering, wrong × symbol, wrong knurling):

20220120_171528.jpg

Compared to Field Marshal (correct knurl and engraving, also properly sized):

20220120_171555.jpg

I'm not trying to stir up a huge fuss or anything, it's just that these are things that are not only not present on Todd's stock images on his own website, but are also inaccuracies I would have expected to have been corrected a long time ago. That's just why I am wondering if this is somehow an older model scope I might have been sent for one reason or another?

EDIT: One of Scott's videos from a few years back even shows a Todd's kit blaster, and the scope there had the correct windage knob knurling and Hensoldt engraving. But this 'modern' scope doesn't?

Last edited:
Maybe Todds suppliers are going the same rout as the real Mausers and HW... various suppliers-various tooling-various details... ; )

Sorry Van. Maybe he will exchange?

I guess? I know their scope is popular and often sells out quickly, so I entirely understand necessary restocking times as well as shipment delays. Those are things I all but expect and wouldn't ever begrudge, frankly. But entirely reverting on details that are not just known, but that you have done correctly in the past? That just makes no sense to me.

I sent Todd an email once I saw these issues, so I'll report back on what he has to say. I mostly just wanted reassurance that I'm not going crazy or acting like a picky Bantha fodder; he last thing I want is to be some kind of Star Wars Karen.

The product is not what you expected. I see no problem with you returning it.

That does not however prevent you from being sent to the Sarlacc pit !

…once…

Vanitas your attention to detail and desire to create the best replica you possibly can allows you the full right to return it given all you have stated. It would be one thing if this scope was the one actually pictured. What’s sad is word of mouth and people just going off reputation.. people will continue to spend lots of money thinking they are getting the best and most accurate replicas around. This hobby definitely does have a dark side which includes people profiting off the addiction that is fully Star Wars. That comes on many levels as well and not just the narrative most try to shame others with.

You are no Karen by doinig so. In fact quite the opposite. I'm a SW addict myself so by you speaking out it helps the rest of this community 100% :)

Vanitas if you end up going with the Field Marshall replica, you can add your own lenses to give it a magnifying "effect" that, at first glance, is pretty convincing. I even had a plan to add crosshairs to mine, but never followed through with that. The Field Marshall "Elite" edition scope is a real beauty ... 10/10 would recommend. My only (tiny) gripes are that there are a few small holes that were left off of it (can be added easily enough) and no serial number at the base of the windage saddle (could also be rectified if you really wanted to add it).

That's what I was more or less considering already, actually; I know Scott's done that before.

I heard back from Todd, anyways. The gyst is that the lettering is something he didn't know was wrong and is looking into it, and he knew the knurling pattern was off but proceeded anyways because most people wanted a new batch of scopes sooner instead of waiting for it to be perfect. Apparently the factory lost his die tool with the right pattern.

So I have a decision to make, and it's a tough one. Todd seems very polite and willing to accept a return, which I am grateful for. I do think he should update his listing to reflect these known issues though.

Speaking of addiction I recently redid my Heat Sink Grille. First I modeled up an authentic Reade models cylinder as accurately as I could. Inside and out. Then cut it up according within CAD obviously. All done with just calipers and I’m proud to say it’s pretty much spot on IMHO. This HSG the inside is male/female fit to a denix so it will just slide right into place.

I’ll do another pass without the male/female..
887CA029-E342-45A4-8B8F-FB13672AED72.png
CC700180-78CE-46AF-BEFC-A5F99F986FA7.png

Last edited:
Threaded front and back and added details “writting” on the left probably.. problem with that IMHO is you can’t get the front and back Lens caps to stop where it should so each line up accurately with the film prop one is trying to duplicate. Same with Todds. Best to get the regular one IMHO but to each their own obviously..

ToddsCostumes is sharing some huge news about this blaster over on the following thread, for those interested!

Yes, unfortunately. When they finally found the scope mount at the bottom of a box of spare parts, the bottom portion was mangled beyond repair. Carl saved the upper portion (cradle and rings) and replaced the lower portion.

Tony says he explained all of this to the Pawn Stars guys, but none of it made it into the show. And the price of $1,000,000 was suggested by the Pawn Stars people before they started filming.

"Everything matches up perfect" sounds to me like it was dubbed in in post production, especially because the camera isn't on Rick when he says that. TV fluff for sure.

"Really?" lol

No chance any part of the scope mount (lower) cradle is original IMO. I have compared very closely.

The Scope and upper rings are the only things from the original HERO IMO.

IF Tony's story is true and accurate then the original screen used c96 and lower mount and plastic bits and mystery disk are gone.

Sounds like from Todd that Tony suggested there was a "back-up" Mauser possibly and both were disassembled after production and lost.

Also suggested that the "back-up" was just a c96 with "cut" barrel (maybe bull barrel) and welded mount points. Possibly the PS c96 ?

I "assume" that since they have been looking through the Bapty boxes since 2000 for the original and if the PS version is the best they could come up with, is that Bapty does not have the HERO. Maybe it will be found one day.

Tony asked Carl to fabricate a replica around the scope to match the left side pre production continuity photo which is why it has no plastic parts or mystery disc.

This makes most sense to me from the information we have to date.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back