ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

So pretty much the scope is a relic of past owner because it has little use actually no use. I was just asking your guys’s opinions on this little topic on the Blastech DL-44
IMO, the scope as set up on the blaster is not very useful or easily useful since for a right handed shooter the scope is off eyeline.

Also, watching Ford/Solo fire the blaster, he barely points it in the right direction let alone “aim”. ; ).

Yeah, haha, Harrison Ford is left handed in real life too which would explain for why the holster is on the right side so he could shoot with his left hand use the scope because of it being on the right side.

Yeah, haha, Harrison Ford is left handed in real life too which would explain for why the holster is on the right side so he could shoot with his left hand use the scope because of it being on the right side.

Huh. ? I’m confused.

Doesn’t he shoot with his right hand. ?

han-solo.jpg

Even as Indy he shoots righty. He must be a great actor if he is Left handed! Really gets into character! ; ).

IndyGuns-hd.jpg

yes, I know but I read somewhere that he is left handed. I am left handed, but I write with my right hand, draw with my left, do wicked left hooked three pointers, ride goofy on skateboard, regular on snowboard so if you have ever seen Harrison Ford do things with his left hand better than his right; that is probably why. So the conclusion is that the scope is a relic of Tobias Beckett's favorite guns scope which means that he IS left handed in the movies. (Beckett)

Last edited:
I still feel like the whole scope and mount might have been flipped on the siderail. One of the main thing people who know real scopes point to with this and other blasters is the scope turned wrong way round. If the scope had been in its mount from one of the earlier productions, and they had the hardware mounted to the Mauser in that location, but the proper way round, the scope would run pretty much right down the centerline. So I feel the weird offset is an artifact of the (probable) scope-flip.

I still feel like the whole scope and mount might have been flipped on the siderail. One of the main thing people who know real scopes point to with this and other blasters is the scope turned wrong way round. If the scope had been in its mount from one of the earlier productions, and they had the hardware mounted to the Mauser in that location, but the proper way round, the scope would run pretty much right down the centerline. So I feel the weird offset is an artifact of the (probable) scope-flip.

The mount is not tall enough to clear the top of the gun in flipped orientation with the mount on the left side.

Slightly off-topic, but I used this thread for my Denix/DEC/Todds DL-44 build around a year and a half ago. I thought it then, and even more so now after reading latest replies, that this thread must surely be the widest, longest, deepest forensic investigation and research activity in prop replicating history!!

The scope and mount was used in Sitting Target on the LEFT side of the gun and was built as a right hand rifle. The scope offset allowed for reasonable viewing for a right handed shooter.

The scope mounted on the right side for a right handed shooter is just wrong... but then again it is a rifle scope with short eye relief on a handgun laser blaster in outer space and really not intended to be reasonably useful. ; ).

As I said earlier, no one in SW actually aims anyway. They just point and fire. ; )

If you watch closely during the battle at Maz Kanata's castle in TFA, you will see Solo become left handed briefly... looks like a flipped scene, as the holster and scope switch to the left as well...:p

I think there were promo images of Solo appearing lefty as well. But if you look close it is a flipped image.

Huh. ? I’m confused.

Doesn’t he shoot with his right hand. ?

View attachment 994253

Even as Indy he shoots righty. He must be a great actor if he is Left handed! Really gets into character! ; ).

View attachment 994254

Every video and image of him signing auto-graphs also show him using his right hand. I always thought he was a right-y, too. Although it's not uncommon for folks to be predominantly left-handed but do a majority of things with their right (both out of convenience and upbringing). My mother is one of these folks.

Every video and image of him signing auto-graphs also show him using his right hand. I always thought he was a right-y, too. Although it's not uncommon for folks to be predominantly left-handed but do a majority of things with their right (both out of convenience and upbringing). My mother is one of these folks.

If you write and shoot right handed what predominant things is he doing lefty? ; ).

It gets weird... I am ambidextrous with pistols (ironically, one reason I love shooting with a Mauser), left-handed with rifles, right-handed with bows, bat left, throw right, fence both -- but favor right, write and eat left-handed -- but can right-handed, golf and pool left, fish right... *shrug*

And thanks for the clarification on the scope mount. I felt like that offset/overhang was just tailor-made for positioning over the midline of the gun if it were the other way round. But mounted on the other side makes sense, too. I know Bapty did both, so I wasn't sure which receiver that scope mount had originally been made for.

It gets weird... I am ambidextrous with pistols (ironically, one reason I love shooting with a Mauser), left-handed with rifles, right-handed with bows, bat left, throw right, fence both -- but favor right, write and eat left-handed -- but can right-handed, golf and pool left, fish right... *shrug*

And thanks for the clarification on the scope mount. I felt like that offset/overhang was just tailor-made for positioning over the midline of the gun if it were the other way round. But mounted on the other side makes sense, too. I know Bapty did both, so I wasn't sure which receiver that scope mount had originally been made for.
Very interesting amb uses. !

The first use or knowledge of the scope and mount is in Sitting Target mounted on the left side. Still not quite center line since it was mounted on a short dovetail seemingly “welded” to the mag well but closer by the width of the crossbar and spacer nuts.

st2.jpg

I didn't pick up on this until now, but I noticed the scope cradle sits around the windage knob, which makes a lot of sense, bringing the scope further back and centering where you adjust it. At least back in sitting target

I didn't pick up on this until now, but I noticed the scope cradle sits around the windage knob, which makes a lot of sense, bringing the scope further back and centering where you adjust it. At least back in sitting target

Yeah I would agree with you but the Blastech DL-44 has no rifle stock and in that situation it is used as a sniper rifle (even though it is only a pistol) and in star wars it is used as a blaster or pistol whatever the terminology says. The weight is considerable though so perhaps it was modified to make the scope and Tobias Beckett actually got it from Chelli "Lona" Aphra and Chelli "Lona" Aphra was born on 24 BBY while Han Solo was born on 32 BBY and supposedly he got the Blastech DL-44 when he was 22. Han Solo was in the canon film ANH in 0 BBY when Luke Skywalker destroys the Death Star. Anyhow in Solo Beckett gives Solo the gun what had a rifle stock and Beckett was left handed so well we have the conclusion. The scope is on the right side obviously. Beckett takes off the rifle stock when he gives it to Solo. So Chilli "Lona" Aphra must have gave Beckett it sometime when she was fourteen or younger. Han Solo had it for a decade which is the stated fact in the Star Wars galaxy. The problem seeing the gun without the scope is that you can not find it so we do not know how the Blastech DL-44 looked like before the modification happened. At least we know why the scope is on that side.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back