ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

It doesn’t seem to be gouged as that would leave a stronger marking no? Looks to be cut or filed down for some weird reason?? Maybe missing this part which would also possibly explain where that chip came from..
1C579AEA-16C8-4097-9782-86C5CB8AF049.jpeg

Gouged or ground. That area is definitely worn off and almost completely wiped away the bullet shaped countersink for the screw.

As you stated, the groove or chip on the screw years probably came from the same process.

Just as the lower cradle mount ears are ground flat, there may have been a reason to grind that area off of to fit against something and make clearance at some point in its history.

Another possibility is that when the rings were being drilled for the screw hole, the chuck could have slipped and caused damage which then they simply dressed up with a file to save the part.

There is still a hint of the bullet shaped countersink. The very deepest area that you can just make out in the images.

In the top view of the blaster, you can clearly see the screw in place and a slight indent where the counter sink should be.

Also note the straight line gouges above the screw hole on the rings. This was likely caused by some mechanical means. Either gripping in a vice or other secondary operation. Simply tightening the screw with a screwdriver would not cause those kinds of scratches or gouges

On my model I may have left a bit more material then the hero shows but I was accounting for some bad lighting and reflection.

Last edited:
It doesn’t seem to be gouged as that would leave a stronger marking no? Looks to be cut or filed down for some weird reason?? Maybe missing this part which would also possibly explain where that chip came from..View attachment 990182
If you look at the image where you labeled front.

You can see in the center where the countersink should be, is darker and to the right is a highlight. This suggests that that area is deeper and in shadow compared to the surrounding on either side

It is very subtle but it is there

Yes. But not so high on the left side. More or less straight. Not quite to the height of the chamfer. Almost all removed. Soften edges.

Take a look at what I did above. If the photo was taken with a flash it would look more like the hero image. I think I have some pics. I’ll look and post.

Go slow. When you like the look. Stop! ; ).

Last edited:
Agree with kpax - but also, looking at the photo below, the red center line of the forward screw seems slightly more to the right of the adjacent yellow center line of the rear screw which seems to suggest that the screw has been drilled a little further out on the bracket lobe than the others which would then mean a smaller notch forming in the scope bracket body for the screw head. So less material needed to be shaved off to get the correct look (?)
Hope i'm not confusing things, its just that often there are multiple elements that can add to a discrepancy of details.
p7post323a copy.jpg

Agree with kpax - but also, looking at the photo below, the red center line of the forward screw seems slightly more to the right of the adjacent yellow center line of the rear screw which seems to suggest that the screw has been drilled a little further out on the bracket lobe than the others which would then mean a smaller notch forming in the scope bracket body for the screw head. So less material needed to be shaved off to get the correct look (?)
Hope i'm not confusing things, its just that often there are multiple elements that can add to a discrepancy of details.
View attachment 990328

Maybe, but there is also perspective distortion in the image that may exaggerate some dimensions.

These type parts are/ were set up in jigs to ensure reputable accuracy. As a possibile “one-off” maybe this mount may not have been produced as accurately... we just don’t know. ... yet! ; )

So I tried it first on one of my own parts as a test run. Unfortunately ya the photos are not really clear enough in the details so it’s hard to see just how to go about it. Either way I’m not really liking how this turned out. I just cut straight across and it does makes it look strange. But maybe that’s how it’s suppose to look??!
948F9A4D-6AC3-4E1E-8B53-1AF570E71993.jpeg
A96B3873-E8CB-4A78-B55C-543EB88A8C58.jpeg
AE57CA98-713A-4373-891B-6B0DAF9267FF.jpeg
7FAB3B74-C1C9-4CEF-AA3D-BCDC5BFD3DA6.jpeg
F608B3B5-2D8D-4FE7-A816-198151683991.jpeg

Last edited:
Its also curious that the front scope bracket is not sitting down flush onto its lower half, so you can see part of the screw in the gap.
Could the screw head be broken off ?

Looking urs kpax I realize that it’s not a cut revealing the screw but that’s were the gouges are. Ok that seems to make more sense. I thought it was a full on chip. Probably best to tackle with a file and a Dremel..
B7E1799D-AE0E-4CF7-9D7B-2716CFAFEF9A.jpeg
64D5989E-C961-405B-9DD8-78A9E4B797E4.jpeg

Its also curious that the front scope bracket is not sitting down flush onto its lower half, so you can see part of the screw in the gap.

You can see the screw head in the top view.

I don’t think there is much of a gap. The flattened lower rear makes a shadow. I don’t think that is the screw body showing in the gap. Just another chip IMO.

Nah, that just happens. It all depends on the order in which you tighten the screws. The top half of a ring is not always gonna sit perfectly flush with a bottom half.

I do see the screw in between the ring halves in that pic, though, and in other pics. I do believe there is a gap there, and we are seeing the body of the screw in that gap. I see it in every shot of that side, except the SUPER DARK pic, because it's super dark.

Edit: Sorry, I was quoting that post from earlier, was distracted and didn't realize there were like ten more posts after that. And after all these years, I STILL have no idea how to use the "Quote" feature!

Last edited:
Nah, that just happens. It all depends on the order in which you tighten the screws. The top half of a ring is not always gonna sit perfectly flush with a bottom half.

I do see the screw in between the ring halves in that pic, though, and in other pics. I do believe there is a gap there, and we are seeing the body of the screw in that gap. I see it in every shot of that side, except the SUPER DARK pic, because it's super dark.

Edit: Sorry, I was quoting that post from earlier, was distracted and didn't realize there were like ten more posts after that. And after all these years, I STILL have no idea how to use the "Quote" feature!

Ha. I know. The system is Not very intuitive.

I don’t think that is the screw you can see in the gap. This screw body is pretty deep in at that angle. the gap would have to be very wide IMO.

Here is a question; Why is the scope on the right side of the Blastech DL-44 when Han Solo grabs onto it with his right hand? Is it a relic of the past from when Tobias Beckett's gave him the gun? Would you suppose that Beckett was left handed? What do you think?

It has always been my opinion that the scope and mount was moved to the right side because they wanted Solo to have the Cowboy vibe. As above, the Blaster simply could not be holstered for a right hand draw with the scope on the left side.

The crossbar mount they made was VERY crude and all who have made replicas can attest... it is not that forgiving in the hand. I am sure Scott can attest that firing the live fire gun single handed accounts for a nice knuckle and web bite from the crossbar and mount. !

Also... this blaster is very heavy as we all know, and unwieldy and not a comfortable carry. ; )

I am sure this is why there were changes to the blasters in later films. Smaller mounts and scopes etc.

So pretty much the scope is a relic of past owner because it has little use actually no use. I was just asking your guys’s opinions on this little topic on the Blastech DL-44

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back