ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

It's been a while and a busy, difficult time for all of us I'm sure. My absence here on the RPF in recent years hasn't been intentional in the least.

But, I saw this...a different quality version! Note, this is one of the earlier photos we already have of the prop (note less gouges and scrapes, etc.), yet still no evidence of T-Track..

..there's still so much out there to be seen, this project isn't over yet..;)

-Carson
861006.png

Last edited:
After an hour or so a day for the last week or two I’ve finally read through a vast majority of this incredible thread. I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone to who contributed to this epic compendium of information. It’s been genuinely fascinating to read, and I think I’ve become addicted to learning the details. I’ve been doing my first hero build on a field marshal kit, and I can’t overstate the value of the information found in this thread. I’ve come to appreciate the details of this prop in a way I never expected.
Welcome to the club! (y)

Welcome back Carson! Also it's pretty neat to see such an old photo in decent resolution! Sadly the illusive T-track shot still alludes us, but likewise I'm convinced this obsession is far from dead!

And not to keep shamelessly flooding this thread with pictures, but after going back I decided I wasn't happy with how the trigger sat in my steel DL-44 (even after my first attempt at changing it). So after a lot of fiddling and many hours of sore fingers later, I think I'm finally happy with how the trigger sits!

20211213_151751.jpg

It's not perfect, of course, but I'm much more satisfied with its gestalt now! For a laugh I decided to compare it to the post production images and see how close I got (FOV is way off, but it's a quick comparison anyways).

post production.jpg

Overlay.jpg

Not too shabby, I'd say!

I'm also doing a lot of work on the steel scope mount; mostly sanding out all the cast roughness. Once it's all nice and smoothed out I think I'll be ready to quit messing around with this thing and get it sent out to Scott for stamping! Really excited to get this thing finally done, and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) upgrading some of the parts too!

It's been a while and a busy, difficult time for all of us I'm sure. My absence here on the RPF in recent years hasn't been intentional in the least.

But, I saw this...a different quality version! Note, this is one of the earlier photos we already have of the prop (note less gouges and scrapes, etc.), yet still no evidence of T-Track..

-CarsonView attachment 1520505
That’s a great pic! Can I post that one in the DL44 identification thread?

Welcome back Carson! Also it's pretty neat to see such an old photo in decent resolution! Sadly the illusive T-track shot still alludes us, but likewise I'm convinced this obsession is far from dead!

And not to keep shamelessly flooding this thread with pictures, but after going back I decided I wasn't happy with how the trigger sat in my steel DL-44 (even after my first attempt at changing it). So after a lot of fiddling and many hours of sore fingers later, I think I'm finally happy with how the trigger sits!

View attachment 1520654

It's not perfect, of course, but I'm much more satisfied with its gestalt now! For a laugh I decided to compare it to the post production images and see how close I got (FOV is way off, but it's a quick comparison anyways).

View attachment 1520655

View attachment 1520656

Not too shabby, I'd say!

I'm also doing a lot of work on the steel scope mount; mostly sanding out all the cast roughness. Once it's all nice and smoothed out I think I'll be ready to quit messing around with this thing and get it sent out to Scott for stamping! Really excited to get this thing finally done, and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) upgrading some of the parts too!

Nice work, man!

Hand working things is one of the most enjoyable attributes to this hobby..I've always loved that part, it makes it so much more personal and sentimental when you've tweaked and built it with your own hands. =D

-Carson

That’s a great pic! Can I post that one in the DL44 identification thread?

Feel free, bud!

I mentioned at one point earlier in this thread (although very difficult to find likely, haha), that any photos that are willingly posted in here should only be posted if they're free for anyone to use how they like.
But it should only be for the profit of understanding and/or research for the masses, not for financial gain, photo wise. ;)

-Carson

Nice work, man!

Hand working things is one of the most enjoyable attributes to this hobby..I've always loved that part, it makes it so much more personal and sentimental when you've tweaked and built it with your own hands. =D

-Carson
Definitely with you on that! If I ever picked up an MR DL44 I don't think I'd ever be as attached to it as I am my steel replica that I finished myself.

Feel free, bud!

I mentioned at one point earlier in this thread (although very difficult to find likely, haha), that any photos that are willingly posted in here should only be posted if they're free for anyone to use how they like.
But it should only be for the profit of understanding and/or research for the masses, not for financial gain, photo wise. ;)

-Carson
Thanks, I’d welcome your input on the thread if you get a chance to take a look at it.

Last edited:

-Carson

Nice!! The best copy of this one I had found was the cover of a Marvel comic. Where'd you find it? Somehow the thing is never at an angle to show the damn t-track...o_O

Oh man are those what I think they are?? I could kiss you Carson! I was going to post some of these posed shots which I found on various media lately, but clearly no need! Thank you from close to the bottom of my heart!

I was just about to say the same. I've always been in the camp of the lower not being painted and these pictures only lead me further in that direction. Why do people think the lower was ever painted to begin with anyhow? Because of the mystery disk? There's some good color pictures already that support the whole blaster just being its natural color so its always confused me.

Speaking of color... all these pictures have to be available in color AND hi res somewhere. The plot thickens!

Last edited:
I was just about to say the same. I've always been in the camp of the lower not being painted and these pictures only lead me further in that direction. Why do people think the lower was ever painted to begin with anyhow? Because of the mystery disk? There's some good color pictures already that support the whole blaster just being its natural color so its always confused me.

Speaking of color... all these pictures have to be available in color AND hi res somewhere. The plot thickens!
The only parts that ever really looked painted (regarding the Mauser itself) to my eye was the mag plate, but that seems like an odd choice.

The chronicle photos (and comic covers/prints in the Solo book) made me think the lower was blued due to the wear around the rear near the lock frame. It seems more faded than the rest. Presumably due to disassembling/handling over the years.

I did try painting my lower a few times and the values just never looked quite right.

I was just about to say the same. I've always been in the camp of the lower not being painted and these pictures only lead me further in that direction. Why do people think the lower was ever painted to begin with anyhow? Because of the mystery disk? There's some good color pictures already that support the whole blaster just being its natural color.

I know there are a few RPF members on this thread that have reference photos that they’ve gone to great lengths to acquire, and haven’t shared with us. I’m sure they have their reasons for that, which is fair. I think access to that reference has influenced the belief the lower is painted. These are the best reference photos I’ve seen personally, and it definitely is changing my opinion. I would love to hear others take on it! I’ve got another build to finish first by I may revisit mine after some discussion!

I think for me, like you said the mystery disc and the scratches in the lower are part of the reason my opinion is that it was painted, they jump out as really bright, more of a contrast then I feel like you would see from a scratch on blued steel.

My understanding is that certain weathering indicators on the screen-used prop would be highly difficult to replicate in anything other than paint.

A this point I think we can all agree that the mystery disc was not milled, and I personally can't imagine it was just a circle of aluminum tape. Whether or not the lower was painted almost doesn't matter to me; I'm resolutely convinced it's a remnant of some kind of greeblie. That is why the grill is cut the way it is; because there used to be a physical, circular object on the side of the magwell.

If the lower wasn't painted though; then I have to imagine the disc was accidental? I don't know enough about bluing to know if certain kinds of glue will strip it or not, but if so then perhaps this may explain the lower's hypothetical lack of paint?

Either way the gun WAS painted at some point; you can see at various points that many of the upper receiver's bright parts are rather dark (like the bolt, sight ramp, etc), but most of that likely wore off quickly after the gun was cycled with some blank rounds.

Bright bolt:

bapty.jpg

Dark bolt:

han.jpg

Bolt seems dark on the sides, but bright on the top (paint scraped off due to bolt cycling?):

Han.jpg

Many possibilities...

EDIT: I think that both the upper AND the lower were painted, but that most of the paint on the upper simply wore off due to the upper receiver's many pieces cycling. You can also see in the post production photos what seems to be paint flaking on the lower around the trigger guard/grip area, which is where Ford would have been constantly handling the prop the most. (Last photo courtesy of Scott, colour source unknown)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back