ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Roughly put, the "flattop" is the prewar/early war small-ring hammer. The "camel hump" got added about when it was chambered for the 9mm parabellum round (the "Red 9") and stayed on with the wartime commercial and M712 versions. I can't remember offhand which is on the gun used for Han's blaster and I don't feel like looking at the moment. *lol*

Roughly put, the "flattop" is the prewar/early war small-ring hammer. The "camel hump" got added about when it was chambered for the 9mm parabellum round (the "Red 9") and stayed on with the wartime commercial and M712 versions. I can't remember offhand which is on the gun used for Han's blaster and I don't feel like looking at the moment. *lol*

Don't forget the extremely early (and extremely rare) "conehammer" variant, my personal favorite of the variations:

10 Mauser Broomhandle Conehammer pistol.jpeg

Mauser Broomhandle Conehammer Pistol 5.jpg

14 C96 Conehammer Mauser copy.jpg

Btw, is anyone here intimately familiar with the different hammer variations of the Mauser C96? I recently purchased a vintage hammer online that supposedly should match the style of the Hero's (with the intention of cramming it into one of Chris' steel C96s), but in person the cut of the hammer is noticeably different.

Both the top "hump" of the hammer and the circular grooves are noticeably larger than on Chris' reproduction, and while the seller has agreed to try and help me find the accurate hammer via a return/swap I'd just like to hear everyone else's 2 cents.
(Left real, right repro)
Chris' replica is the correct style so you're looking to hunt one of those down. I would also try and find one that has the "NS" New Safety logo if you can.

Cheers,

Dave C

Sorry. I just spent a lot of time staring at hammers two years ago. :lol:
Fair. I did a deep delve ages ago to nail down my 1922 Bolo (including that probable manufacture date). Lately, I've been feeling educated enough to feel ready to tackle my Franken-Mauser project, once I can source the parts. I need a shot-out Bolo upper and any pre-Versailles dual-lug lower. Bad or no bluing preferred, but also minimal/no rust or pitting. Don't need grip scales, don't need matching serial numbers. I want to take some non-collector-quality remnants and make something special for me out of them.

When it comes to hammers, I'm tempted to see if I can replicate one of the prototype-style blade hammers, or that odd late Export-model hammer and blade safety...

Which I suppose loops back around to some of the subject matter of the thread. I am not averse to using replica components if they are accurate to the originals, in hardness as well as shape. Would the stuff Chris makes work swapped into an actual firing Mauser?

Would the stuff Chris makes work swapped into an actual firing Mauser?

Likely not as his stuff isn't case-hardened like actual gun steel is (and I think altered to fit mechanics of his replica). Although, it is possible, from what I've read, to case harden steel at home. Case hardening doesn't require much more than a good consistent high-temp heat source, oil, and a toaster oven. From what I've read, you get the steel to a glowing red color, then dunk it in the oil, and after it's cooled, popped into a small oven to bake in ~300F for a few hours until the surface reaches a yellow color, which is then left to cool on its own.

Btw, is anyone here intimately familiar with the different hammer variations of the Mauser C96? I recently purchased a vintage hammer online that supposedly should match the style of the Hero's (with the intention of cramming it into one of Chris' steel C96s), but in person the cut of the hammer is noticeably different.

Both the top "hump" of the hammer and the circular grooves are noticeably larger than on Chris' reproduction, and while the seller has agreed to try and help me find the accurate hammer via a return/swap I'd just like to hear everyone else's 2 cents.

View attachment 1667522
(Left real, right repro)

I’d go with the real one you bought simply because it’s.. well real. For what it’s worth I think it’s always best to look at the actual film prop itself and head in what ever direction you think to be more accurate..
30DCB82B-6F95-46E0-84C4-712E6D84936F.jpeg

Likely not as his stuff isn't case-hardened like actual gun steel is (and I think altered to fit mechanics of his replica). Although, it is possible, from what I've read, to case harden steel at home. Case hardening doesn't require much more than a good consistent high-temp heat source, oil, and a toaster oven. From what I've read, you get the steel to a glowing red color, then dunk it in the oil, and after it's cooled, popped into a small oven to bake in ~300F for a few hours until the surface reaches a yellow color, which is then left to cool on its own.

I have actually softened and quenched several parts of Chris' steel C96 myself, as I wanted to get the steel.of the upper soft enough for me to hack off the sleeve barrel and tap the upper to receive one of Todd's threaded bull barrels. So tempering them back isn't too difficult at all.

I’d go with the real one you bought simply because it’s.. well real. For what it’s worth I think it’s always best to look at the actual film prop itself and head in what ever direction you think to be more accurate..View attachment 1667806

And I probably will go with a real hammer, just likely not this one. The seller I picked it up from has a few more in stock and has agreed to look to see if he has any of the flat top variants in his inventory, which I am hopeful of. I'd just rather not have to grind off the "camel hump" of the real hammer unless necessary, as permanently modifying real parts is a bit more daunting to me lol

Whelp, so much for an easy exchange :(

20230216_190013.jpg
I'm not sure if the seller was mistaken (even though I was VERY clear with the model I wanted), but the flat-top variation I thought I would be sent after returning that first hammer turned out to be an unmarked type 3 variant instead. At this point I'll probably just ask for my money back outright.

s-l1600-1.jpg
(What I thought he was sending me)

This is my first post on this thread and I must say that this is a real gold mine of information.

You guys did an amazing job.

I am currently building my own replica of the DL-44 with FieldMarshall's kit.
I bought all the stamps except the acceptance proof mark. This one :

Do you have a link where I can find it ?
I have this one which is close but not exact :

Thank you !

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the past (this thread has become 'extremely' deep in many ways, haha), but as it turns out, there is an actual link between the Merr Sonn and Han Solo's character.

In some of the post-production photos from the Alt. DL-44/GK photo-shoot, there are some showing Harrison holding an E-11 blaster as well. Note that there is a Merr Sonn blaster in his holster in these photos: (photos courtesy of the Anonymous Hero ;))

46500FD9-8C6D-4EA1-BBFD-10BD095382F8.jpeg

E3EE343F-6B70-4417-9E94-C509D77C3413.jpeg

-Carson

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you for posting!!

I knew there had to have been some more features that the NR & Sweeney Mausers ended up in before SW.. This one appears to be the same variation of the Mauser that was used in the Sweeney, and Randal & Hopkirk basing on the machine marks. It's likely the 2813 Upper!

Makes me wonder how many more shows they popped in over the years..:unsure:

-Carson

It's not clear on paper or anything, but it's presumed that there were 2 sets of these made for NR. But in the close-ups for NR, it doesn't match the Sweeney/R&H/ANH Mauser, other than the same modifications and the exact same case setup. So it seems likely that they were both made for the same purpose/film, and it's still possible the 2813 lumped version may have been used in NR, just at a distance in another scene maybe..

Oddly, the 'Hero' NR Mauser in the closeups hasn't been spotted in anything else as of yet, just this reoccurring one that became Han's ANH Hero. Aside from the missing latch on the bull-barrel, slightly different barrel placement and chamfers vs. the NR Hero, the Mauser model is also different, pre-war (NR Hero) and wartime (Sweeney, R&H & ANH Hero, ANH Hero so far being the only to have the swapped lower).

-Carson

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back