ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

I added some more details to help improve a denix Hero build. Some new mods I did were recreating the grips for a denix frame as well as adding a sliding sight and new removable pin. Definitely helps with the aesthetics.. View attachment 1714270View attachment 1714271View attachment 1714272View attachment 1714273View attachment 1714278View attachment 1714279View attachment 1714274View attachment 1714275View attachment 1714276View attachment 1714277
wow, those grips are spectacular. Are the insides designed to fit a denix frame and the outside the right shape? Man I wish someone made these years ago

wow, those grips are spectacular. Are the insides designed to fit a denix frame and the outside the right shape? Man I wish someone made these years ago

Thanks man! Yes the inside is designed to fit the denix perfectly without doing anything to the denix itself. Outside of drilling a bigger hole for the screw to go throw.

Now is the outside perfect a c96? Well it’s designed to fit the denix frame so obviously it’s not perfect because of that. c96 and denix’s grip frames are different BUT it is modeled in its shape after a c96 so I would say it’s very close I believe.

I also designed up some MGC style replacement grips for the Denix as well. Those are even closer inline as the MGC and denix line up better.

Here’s the c96 unpainted and up against the denix grips for comparison..
IMG_9607.jpeg

And here is the MGC grips..
IMG_9948.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, what I'm a big fan of is how you designed the.... "ball" end here, if I'm using the right term? Both MGCs and real C96 grips are round at the bottom, filling the palm of your hand. The Denix grips are very flat and I can feel the weight of the gun tip sideways when I grip it lol

So I don't know if anybody else here has pointed this out in any other threads yet, but it seems that a new, fairly accurate Mauser C96 replica pistol has emerged on the market that seems like it might make a halfway decent base. I've found a few places selling it online for a couple hundred dollars, though prices definitely vary.

The replica Mauser seems to be made by a company called "A!CTION", and here are some images of the flat black version (they seem to have a blued model too):

ACT-4580750660199-2L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-3L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-4L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-6L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-7L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-8L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-9L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-10L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-11L.jpg
ACT-4580750660199-12L.jpg

Happy blasting!

EDIT: Apparently the pistol won't be officially released until November, although some seem to be available elsewhere online.

Here's an English Translation of the actual maker's listing of it:

Last edited:
MGC has been acquired! I'm a bit surprised by how new it actually seems; none of the pieces have that pot metal rotting that I've seen on other old zamak objects. Will definitely be holding unto this one for a while! :)

Edit: Oddly enough I'm only just now noticing that this MGC doesn't even have a single Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndork stamp on it; both the upper and lower are totally free of any markings. I'm assuming this was perhaps just another variant of MGC/produced at a certain time?

20230914_195437.jpg
20230914_195448.jpg

Last edited:
Vanitas that’s such a nice score! Congrats V!! Are you going to keep it pristine and hold onto it like a museum piece of build one of the MGC blasters? Myself I have Hoth MGC which I treasure. I also have another MGC which I started to turn into a Hero years ago but it’s still just sitting there. It breaks my heart every time I look at it now.. wish I would have used it for a GK instead. Oh well.

Beautiful score!!! If I remember some of the props were missing these stamps.. not sure if this was RMI distributing mgc or just an earlier version

It’s in great shape.. use it well

The screen used ones don't have the Waffen stamps that I've seen. But yeah, it's a variant. Hard to say which is more common, as they're just so many out there.

Huh, neat to know! I never noticed that the screen used MGCs didn't have the stampings, though that's whatI get for obsessing over the Hero prop so much :lol:

Vanitas that’s such a nice score! Congrats V!! Are you going to keep it pristine and hold onto it like a museum piece of build one of the MGC blasters? Myself I have Hoth MGC which I treasure. I also have another MGC which I started to turn into a Hero years ago but it’s still just sitting there. It breaks my heart every time I look at it now.. wish I would have used it for a GK instead. Oh well.

Also I'm not too sure, though a part of me is thinking about going for a GK since I have a spare Compac Super scope lying around. It's definitely an ugly duckling to me though, so we'll see!

I had fun doing the GK. I don’t think you’d regret it.

My next MGC build is going to be a Han ROTJ. I just haven’t gotten around to buying all the other parts yet.

Also I'm not too sure, though a part of me is thinking about going for a GK since I have a spare Compac Super scope lying around. It's definitely an ugly duckling to me though, so we'll see!

Ya I’ve felt the same about a few of these dl-44’s.. that is until I gotten them built to be honest. They all are so unique and the GK especially has shelf presence. It’s huge! The ROTJ MGC blaster is truly another great option. Obviously build what u want. You’re not going to make a bad choice no matter which way go. This was the ROTJ auction blaster I built on an MGC way back in 2018. Still one of my favorites and honestly wasn’t really a fan of it until I got it finished. I don’t have it anymore so thank you for trip down memory lane :)
EA577960-25A1-424A-83AA-C7308C963978.jpeg

Real C96 hammer has been added!

View attachment 1741130

There's still a good bit of careful filing left to get the action smooth, but for what it is I'm fairly happy with the results!

View attachment 1741132

Looking good, bud! Is that the blaster factory replica Mauser?
I noticed now that they seemed to have copied the MGC Sight grooves/notches, rather than the scalloped/radius cuts as per an original Mauser..

It looks much better with a real hammer for sure though! I wish we could get a good view of the Hero's rear/lower numbers, sadly there aren't any photos showing them whatsoever, even in the Merr Sonn and ESB stunt castings..The Hero's lock mech 'should' likely have the full 2813 (mystery) number as far as photos have shown thus far, but the bottom-most number, on the backside of the lower frame itself would likely have an entirely different number altogether being a swapped lower and all..of which, sadly none of us can see in any of the available photos..

So much realized, yet still so many mysteries left to solve..;)

-Carson

Looking good, bud! Is that the blaster factory replica Mauser?
I noticed now that they seemed to have copied the MGC Sight grooves/notches, rather than the scalloped/radius cuts as per an original Mauser..

It looks much better with a real hammer for sure though! I wish we could get a good view of the Hero's rear/lower numbers, sadly there aren't any photos showing them whatsoever, even in the Merr Sonn and ESB stunt castings..The Hero's lock mech 'should' likely have the full 2813 (mystery) number as far as photos have shown thus far, but the bottom-most number, on the backside of the lower frame itself would likely have an entirely different number altogether being a swapped lower and all..of which, sadly none of us can see in any of the available photos..

So much realized, yet still so many mysteries left to solve..;)

-Carson

Thank you! And yes, it is a heavily modified steel C96 replica from Chris' first run. Most of the Mauser is still original to Blaster Factory, though I did chop off the barrel to drill and tapped the slide to accept a Todd's Costumes bull barrel. At some point I might see about getting a real C96 sight ramp into it as well, though for now I'm still tinkering with all the individual components. Eventually I'll have the whole thing sent off to Scott for stamping and final bluing/painting, though I think I'll probably rust and re-polish some of the bright steel parts so they don't look quite so factory new (like the slide and lock frame).

One thing I was thinking would be that it might be neat to have it stamped with mismatching serial numbers, as we all have a pretty good clue that the real hero prop likely had a non-original frame to the entire upper assembly. At least to me I find that to be more accurate than having the whole thing stamped with matching 2813 numbers, even if it might trigger some people's OCD (and in-universe I could easily imagine Han replacing several parts of his blaster anyways, what with all the illegal mods he surely made).

But those are all still distant plans, for now...

20230923_021349.jpg

20230923_021405.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back