ANH DL-44 Denix question

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by jheilman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

OK, am selling my resin Solo blaster kit and several other items because I want the $$ for a decent ANH blaster replica. I know there is more than enough reference on accurizing on the RPF, but which base gun best fits my budget?

Obviously an original Mauser is out of the question unless I have a few thousand to drop. I've seen reference made to an MGC Mauser. Is this a firing or non-firing replica? In searching, I have not found an online source to purchase and am curious of the price range. I'm guessing they are $400-$500? Finally, there are the Denix replicas. Is there only one model of Denix broomhandle Mauser available? I ask because the pics at various online sellers differ in color of the body and the grips. Of course, price also varies, but they are very affordable.

Haven't dived into a project like this since I built up a TOS phaser over many months about 10 years ago. Looking forward to absorbing all the info available here and hopefully finding all the necessary add-ons I'll eventually need.

Thanks.

2. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The MGC is a non-firing replica, just like the Denix, but is more accurate in terms of the model that the DL-44 was based on. As for an online vendor, I don't believe they are being produced anymore, but they are still in the same price range as the Denix is, just harder to come by

3. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Really, I thought they were considerably more expensive. Good news. Now, to find one. If I can't, are there different Denix Mausers available, or is the inconsistency in the various pix I've found just a fluke of the various vendors?

4. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They ARE not only harder to come by but also much more expensive!

Of course you can get lucky by finding one of ebay, a gunshow or fleamarket, but usually they fetch good money! While a Denix can be purchased from $40-60, a MGC runs from $150 - $350 depending on condition and demand from other interested parties.

Sorry to burst your bubble :unsure

Markus

5. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

it may not be the most accurate, but there are metal Airsoft Mausers out there...

6. Kevin Gossett

Well there I go, giving wrong information :lol I was sure that I had seen others get MGCs for much less than that... Perhaps that was a fluke

Yes there are metal airsofts out there, but I haven't been able to find one that is the right size for less than what you would pay for a Denix... Might as well get a Denkx :)

7. MrGzilla

MrGzilla Well-Known Member

im using this aisoft mauser for mine: HFC C96 Mauser Airsoft Pistol Review - YouTube
    not my review, but it shows it off a bit more than a pic would.
    its accurate size and is incredibly heavy and feels like it should. as far as i know its accurate detail wise too but im not an expert. the coolest thing for me is that it actually shoots! i plan on still using mine to play airsoft with it a bit once im done with it.

8. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

No, no, that's what I expected.

More research tells me the needed parts are sometimes difficult to come by. Blast Tech being one of the main sources. Another thread recommended saving the effort and finding an MR. They said they could be had in the $300-$400 range. Really?!? The ones I've seen for sale go for twice that and more.

I'm thinking the Denix is the route to go. Then spend the time scrounging for parts. In that sense, it's like my phaser build. There are occasional runs of parts and you just have to get in on them when you see them. Agreed?

9. Kevin Gossett

Which ANH version are you going for?

10. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Not the Greedo killer. If there are more than two versions, then I need to do more research. Not a surprise.

11. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

So, with regards to accuracy, how is Blast Tech's stuff? His pics are SO small on the site. Can someone show better pics of their blaster made with Blast Tech items? And also give an accuracy assessment?

$200 for the kit isn't bad, but are there more accurate alternatives currently available? How difficult is it to find the real scope? (and how much?)

12. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The problem with those metal airsofts are that they are modeled after a later version of the mauser that is different than the one used as the base of the prop. The big tell is that lever on the left side. There should be no lever there and instead, a square shaped cutout.

I do believe in the last few years, denix has offered a version with real wood grips. In the past, some people have just replaced the plastic with real mauser replacement wood grips. However, if you wanted to do that, be prepared to cut/trim away a section of the metal frame around the grip as the grip area is slightly oversized from that of a real mauser.

13. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

14. Mara Jade's Father

Looks like a denix. See that diamond shape in the middle of the left side. That is the Denix logo... most people grind/sand that away because it should not be there on a real mauser.

what's odd is the Denix they show here: http://www.amazon.com/Broomhandled-Mauser-1898-Black-12-5-inches/dp/B003CZGQX0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_2 does not have the logo. So either Denix has changed and no longer put the logo on the side or they are doing a bait and switch thing. I've not bought a Denix for close to 10 years now so I do not know of any changes if there has been any.

15. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

OK, so it's not like this is a different, more accurate replica? Amazon lists 2 Denix models and this one by International Military Antiques. If they are all the same gun, I'll take the least expensive.

16. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

17. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

'nuff said.

Thanks

18. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

OK, purchased a Denix. The vendor tells me it has wood grips. Will see in a week or so. Step one - done.

So, would still love to hear opinions on the accuracy of the Blast Tech parts.

Thanks.

19. MrGzilla

i tried to go the blast tech rout, but after contacting him he said he didn't have any of the anh parts in and only vary few esb parts :/

i got a great kit from a member here that came with an extra resin scope cast from an original, so if your interested in it just pm me. i got the flash hider from here: Evolution Props it hasn't arrived yet, but its been shipped.
    if you want to see pics of the scope there's one on my build thread.

hope that helps!

20. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Yes, I've seen your build thread. I'm thinking I'll take my time and try to acquire the best individual parts I can afford. I'd really love a genuine scope. I found one that is very close for $100.

Anyone have a spare scope they'd like to sell?

21. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

That flash "hidder" from Evolution Props looks pretty good. Would like to hear what you think of it when it arrives.

22. MrGzilla

no problem, i understand.
    and yeah, when i get the flash hider ill post up some pics in my thread.

23. Mara Jade's Father

Corellian Exports, from time to time has offered different components for various DL-44 models. You might want to check and see what he has.

24. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Thanks.

25. weno

weno Member

i have about 8 sets of the piston parts that go on the side.. i am going to post them forsale in the junkyard when i get the permission.. i got them out of the model engine that the real ones come from.. so if you are in the market for true parts i have a set i can sell you pm me... i can send you pics..

26. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

If you're talking the Visible V-8 piston halves, I believe those were introduced on the ESB blaster, correct? But thanks for the offer.

27. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Well, my Denix with wood grips arrived. I like it, but will make a few mods to it. The extra-extended firing pin needs to be dremeled down. I agree with a previous post (by kpax?) that the screw at the front attaching the body to receiver looks wrong. Not sure how to make it look better? Also, the receiver doesn't seem completely level with the body front to back. Not sure if I want to get accurate sized wood grips and resize the grip frame? Probably not.

Any other little mods that would make the Denix better resemble the real thing?

28. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I thought they were gonna machine the entire gun at some point?

29. Mara Jade's Father

Be careful with that screw because it effects the functionality. If you make it too tight, it does not allow the slide to move freely. But if you do not care about that aspect, then no big deal.

The first thing, as you may already know but i will say it anyway, is to remove the diamond shaped denix logo on the side. And of course as you said, that nub under the hammer.

If you look at the bottom at the magazine well, you can see some grooves on the side, it indicates a separate plate but if you look at the bottom, it lacks any detail. It should look like this: http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6206110137/8059236/eba13617ca143837283a571167ff8d79.jpg

You can add this with a dremel.

IMHO, I always recommend removing as much of the a paint as possible (nothing major, just go over it with some steel wool. You are going to need to repaint it anyhow once you make mods but in my experience the paint that is on there right now is pretty bad, it can scratch off with your fingernail (they might have changed this since the 10 years I have worked on one). So I figure that before you apply a new paint job, you should have a decent base.

30. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Oh yeah, I intend to grind down that logo. Also planned to hit the gun with a dremel wire wheel to remove paint. Adding the magazine parting line on the bottom is a great tip. You know, I could probably even drill a hole for the magazine release button and the glue a BB to it from the inside.

That screw seems tight in front, but there's still a gap between receiver and body in that area. Will experiment more. Anyone disassembled a Denix? Looks like 3 pins and one screw holding everything together. Might make it easier to strip and repaint.

Three main reasons I would have loved an MGC over this would be removable magazine, working safety lever and the ability to field strip it. But even if I found one available (tried) I doubt I could afford it. Still holding a small hope for a real scope in the future. Again, probably not in the cards.

31. Mara Jade's Father

Okay, I'm not a gun guy so forgive my stupidity but isn't the Han blasters based off a 1896 Mauser? And if so, isn't it an internal magazine that is loaded by stripper clip and can be unloaded by opening the panel on the bottom. I do not think a removable magazine was introduced till the Spanish made M1932. That is like the Mauser the airsoft is replicated (the one with the wedge shaped lever on the side)

32. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Well, for not being a gun guy, you knew more than me. :confused

I thought I saw a youtube clip of the stripper clip being loaded from the bottom. I guess that's what I meant. Not like a magazine off a modern automatic.

EDIT - just watched again. It was basically the floor plate and attached spring that pop out the bottom.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  33. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've done that, and it's a bit of work but well worth it. Shrinking that fat grip really helps "de-Denix" the look of the blaster:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for paint, I don't bother removing the original. It gives character to the weathering when scuffs to your new paint reveal the slightly different shade of the original.

34. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Nice.

So, do replacement grips come with the brass hardware or is that a separate purchase from the hardware store? Is the brass grip screw correct for the original?

35. Mara Jade's Father

Here is a tutorial for replacing the grips just so you know what you are getting into.

New Page 1

sketcherdan likes this.
  36. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Thanks. Saw that one a couple weeks back, but always valuable to reread. I think I'll do this. I'm no stranger to reshaping metal and wood, so might be fun.

Am I correct in thinking the new grips have a brass screw on one side and an embedded brass nut in the other? I like that look, but is it correct to the original prop? The Denix has a central plate and each side has it's own, shorter screw.

37. Mara Jade's Father

38. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Those look pretty good at a good price, but I think the lines are off. Reference pics show 30-31 lines that I can see. 20 just looks wrong. My Denix has 30 lines (or 31 - I got both on separate tries :)).

These look more accurate for an extra $20, but the color is too dark.

Grips, 1896, Walnut Military - w/o Red 9, Includes Escutcheons & Screw

So, will look for another source of lighter wood grips with 30 lines. Anyone have a source for that??

39. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

40. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've always bought my grips at gun shows, and they always came with hardware. Mind you, the hardware will keep the grips attached to each other but not to the grip frame, as there will be nothing for the screw to pass through once you have modded the grip. The pressure keeps them on well enough for display, but if you'll be handling the gun much, the new grips will need to be epoxied.

41. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Yes, i've considered that. Will know for sure what to do once the grips are here. That will be the first mod to make while I'm waiting for Deadbolt and Kpax's parts run to begin.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  42. Mara Jade's Father

This subject has re-interested me in my blaster. I have the wrong wooden grips on mine so I am going to get a set of those $50 ones listed above. However, I am waiting till working hours on Monday. If you do the research, you will find that if you call their order number, they have an automated message for a coupon code you can use on line to save some money.

Like Treadwell said, the grips fit on by pressure using the bolt. However, I checked the ones I currently have on there now and they are not epoxied and they don't shift. Still, epoxy is not a bad idea. I think I may use some silicone cement on the new set. Not as good a hold as epoxy but should have just enough to do the job. I like it because if you need to remove it, you can.

43. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Missed the coupon code. Oh well.

I'll need to see the grips first, but I thought I could attach wood strips to the inside of the grips that would fit snug against the frame and keep them stable.

44. Mara Jade's Father

I got my grips today. I immediately went and fitted them to my blaster. Since my blaster was already modified for real grips, I only had to modify the grips themselves.

I originally tried to use a file as the tutorial showed however that would is pretty tough so I opted to use a Dremil with a grinding will to do the job. It probably took about 10 minutes.

Good luck on your build jheilman.

45. Dewka

Dewka New Member

Glad I found this thread. Im going to be buying most likely a Denix to create my DL44 with. have a nytecraft holster i was given and it wont fit my Merr Sonn Power 5.

46. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Worked on my new grips and frame mods this weekend. I was very nervous about using a dremel on the grips. Afraid I'd accidentally cut too deep. But filing alone was looking painfully slow. So, I used my razor saw to hack out the sections needed then filed for a final fit.

Will get some pics up. Not that the process is anything new to the gang here. :lol

47. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

OK, a few pics. Here is a comparison of the standard Denix wood grips (right) next to my new walnut Mauser grips from Numrich. Grips, 1896, Walnut Military - w/o Red 9, Includes Escutcheons & Screw

[​IMG]

Fortunately, they are much lighter in color than the picture on their website. No need to bleach and restain. Not only are the correct grips narrower than the Denix grips, they are rounder and taller in profile as seen here.

[​IMG]

As I said, I was too nervous to take a dremel to my new grips. So, I traced a rough outline where I needed to remove material and used a razor saw to cut most of it out. Then filed the rest of the way.

[​IMG]

It's tough to see in a photo where the cut lines are. So, I highlighted with a red tint. The original, unaltered grip is on the left and the grip on the right shows what needs to be removed to fit the Denix frame.

[​IMG]

And here is the first pic of the modified grips on the partially stripped gun. The bare metal really shows how much of the frame needs to be removed.

[​IMG]

Anyone with a genuine Mauser, I'd love to see pics of the frame minus grips to compare the thickness. I'm guessing the Denix frame is also thicker than the original. The new screw and escutcheon barely meet. I get a solid half turn once they connect before everything's tight. Makes me want to thin out my frame a bit, but I'd like dimensions off the real thing first.

I spent a lot of Saturday filing and grinding down the frame to match the new grips. About 95% done. Will finish that up Monday.

Next question. Who has disassembled a Denix? Not sure if I need to, but I've always believed that if you're going to repaint something it's best to strip it down to the component parts first. I'm concerned about removing the attaching pins, but more concerned about putting them back. Since the metal is so soft, I'm afraid I'd damage it. Who has done this? Please advise about how difficult it is and if it's worth the effort.

Thanks.

48. deadbolt

deadbolt Sr Member

Nice new grips! I don't have access to my camera at the moment, but on a real C96 the thinner front portion of the grip frame is right around 6mm, and the thicker rear portion of the grip frame is right around 9mm.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup

-Carson

49. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Yes, it does. The denix is about 7mm at the thin portion of the grip frame and almost 12mm at the thick. Not the same ratio as the original. Since I've already modified the grips for a specific ratio of thick to thin, I'll leave them as is and possibly thin down the frame a millimeter or so. It would probably be OK as is, but I'd like it to feel a bit more secure when tightened. And more accurate is always a good thing.

50. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

Just read through a very detailed build thread from FakeBritishAccent and am not sure I need to post anything here until the project is complete. His thread covered all the same territory and he did much more scratch-building than I intend to do.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/han-solo-anh-hero-dl-44-heavy-137661/