ANH DL-44 Denix question

Yes, i've considered that. Will know for sure what to do once the grips are here. That will be the first mod to make while I'm waiting for Deadbolt and Kpax's parts run to begin.

Last edited:
This subject has re-interested me in my blaster. I have the wrong wooden grips on mine so I am going to get a set of those $50 ones listed above. However, I am waiting till working hours on Monday. If you do the research, you will find that if you call their order number, they have an automated message for a coupon code you can use on line to save some money.

Like Treadwell said, the grips fit on by pressure using the bolt. However, I checked the ones I currently have on there now and they are not epoxied and they don't shift. Still, epoxy is not a bad idea. I think I may use some silicone cement on the new set. Not as good a hold as epoxy but should have just enough to do the job. I like it because if you need to remove it, you can.

Missed the coupon code. Oh well.

I'll need to see the grips first, but I thought I could attach wood strips to the inside of the grips that would fit snug against the frame and keep them stable.

I got my grips today. I immediately went and fitted them to my blaster. Since my blaster was already modified for real grips, I only had to modify the grips themselves.

I originally tried to use a file as the tutorial showed however that would is pretty tough so I opted to use a Dremil with a grinding will to do the job. It probably took about 10 minutes.

Good luck on your build jheilman.

Glad I found this thread. Im going to be buying most likely a Denix to create my DL44 with. have a nytecraft holster i was given and it wont fit my Merr Sonn Power 5.

Worked on my new grips and frame mods this weekend. I was very nervous about using a dremel on the grips. Afraid I'd accidentally cut too deep. But filing alone was looking painfully slow. So, I used my razor saw to hack out the sections needed then filed for a final fit.

Will get some pics up. Not that the process is anything new to the gang here. :lol

OK, a few pics. Here is a comparison of the standard Denix wood grips (right) next to my new walnut Mauser grips from Numrich. Grips, 1896, Walnut Military - w/o Red 9, Includes Escutcheons & Screw

ANH01.jpg

Fortunately, they are much lighter in color than the picture on their website. No need to bleach and restain. Not only are the correct grips narrower than the Denix grips, they are rounder and taller in profile as seen here.

ANH02.jpg

As I said, I was too nervous to take a dremel to my new grips. So, I traced a rough outline where I needed to remove material and used a razor saw to cut most of it out. Then filed the rest of the way.

ANH03.jpg

It's tough to see in a photo where the cut lines are. So, I highlighted with a red tint. The original, unaltered grip is on the left and the grip on the right shows what needs to be removed to fit the Denix frame.

ANH04.jpg

And here is the first pic of the modified grips on the partially stripped gun. The bare metal really shows how much of the frame needs to be removed.

ANH05.jpg

Anyone with a genuine Mauser, I'd love to see pics of the frame minus grips to compare the thickness. I'm guessing the Denix frame is also thicker than the original. The new screw and escutcheon barely meet. I get a solid half turn once they connect before everything's tight. Makes me want to thin out my frame a bit, but I'd like dimensions off the real thing first.

I spent a lot of Saturday filing and grinding down the frame to match the new grips. About 95% done. Will finish that up Monday.

Next question. Who has disassembled a Denix? Not sure if I need to, but I've always believed that if you're going to repaint something it's best to strip it down to the component parts first. I'm concerned about removing the attaching pins, but more concerned about putting them back. Since the metal is so soft, I'm afraid I'd damage it. Who has done this? Please advise about how difficult it is and if it's worth the effort.

Thanks.

Nice new grips! I don't have access to my camera at the moment, but on a real C96 the thinner front portion of the grip frame is right around 6mm, and the thicker rear portion of the grip frame is right around 9mm.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup

-Carson

Yes, it does. The denix is about 7mm at the thin portion of the grip frame and almost 12mm at the thick. Not the same ratio as the original. Since I've already modified the grips for a specific ratio of thick to thin, I'll leave them as is and possibly thin down the frame a millimeter or so. It would probably be OK as is, but I'd like it to feel a bit more secure when tightened. And more accurate is always a good thing.

Yes, you're right. The Hero blaster was based off a c1896 (1912) Mauser.
The Mauser itself was NOT in pristine condition and today would only be worth around $250. Mausers of the same type in pristine condition can be worth $800 or more. The lowest price replica would be the Denix and then the MGC. MR probably made the best looking replica with their last Hero blaster.

Here's a photo of a Hero I built using the Denix replica with wood grips:

Hero_amp_Chronicles.jpg

Okay, I'm not a gun guy so forgive my stupidity but isn't the Han blasters based off a 1896 Mauser? And if so, isn't it an internal magazine that is loaded by stripper clip and can be unloaded by opening the panel on the bottom. I do not think a removable magazine was introduced till the Spanish made M1932. That is like the Mauser the airsoft is replicated (the one with the wedge shaped lever on the side)

OK, did solve a problem with the Denix alignment between the upper and lower half. The gap at the front (where the attachment screw is located) really bugged me. So I finally pulled the pins and separated the pieces. I filed down the area completely hoping they would mesh together better.

ANH06.jpg

It helped some. If I tightened the screw, the gap went away. But there was still some pivot point where the pieces joined. If the front was tight, the back wouldn't go together and vice versa. So, I had minimized the gap, but it was still there.

ANH07.jpg

What to do?

Hmm...

ANH08.jpg

YES!!

ANH09.jpg

Scrap aluminum sheet with beveled inside edges to replicate the trench on the real mauser. Dremel and file and sand and...

ANH10.jpg

Gap's gone.

ANH11.jpg

A little primer and a few tweaks and the seams will also be gone.

ANH12.jpg

It's certainly not an exact replica of the mauser trench, but it goes a long way in making it look less like a Denix and now my upper and lower half align perfectly. I like it!

No, didn't miss it. I purchased an MGC and this Denix has been sitting idle ever since. And real life has kept me from getting to work on the MGC. So, nothing post worthy.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back