AND yet ANOTHER BTTF question...

LOL! Yeah and I hope he realizes that nerdy kids with glasses and a scar on their foreheads can't really conjur up spells or fly on broomsticks. :behave

Seriously? I intended to organize a Quidditch game with my friends. And now you tell me that flying on a broomstick isn't possible. :eek:eek:eek

Seriously? I intended to organize a Quidditch game with my friends. And now you tell me that flying on a broomstick isn't possible. :eek:eek:eek

Don't worry, It still works to let a high industrial laser scanner dissolve you and put you into the Computer as a User. There we can play frees-bee and bike games. :thumbsup

Marty McFly: This is heavy-duty, Doc. This is great. Uh, does it run, like, on artistic license?
Dr. Emmett Brown: Unfortunately, no. It requires something with a little more kick. . Jehudah Design
Marty McFly: Um, Jehudah Design. Wait a minute. Are...
[lowers the camcorder]
Marty McFly: Are you telling me that this sucker is Logical?
Dr. Emmett Brown: Hey, hey, hey! Keep rolling. Keep rolling there.
[Marty raises the camcorder]
Dr. Emmett Brown: No, no, no, no, no, this sucker's a plot device, but I need an Internet forum member's reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of nerdrage I need.
Marty McFly: Doc, you don't just log into the internet and-and download Jehudah Design. Did you **** him off?
Dr. Emmett Brown: Of course. With a group of internet prop makers. They wanted me to build them an entertaining movie, so I took the nerdrage and, in turn, gave them a shoddy deus ex machina full of hackneyed plot holes. Come on! Let's get you a nerdrage suit.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/quotes?qt0416303

Only joking around Jehudah Design:):thumbsup

Last edited:
Jehudah, take care never to read about quantum physics. The logic centres of your brain would jump out of your ears and strangle you in protest. It is very very weird but things really CAN happen two different ways at the same time. :eek

You are confusing logic with expectation. Our experience of normal everyday situations makes us expect certain outcomes but this is not logic. Extreme situations as found in quantum effects and relativity are ENTIRELY logical but make no sense to our normal view of life. Time travel is very far from normal everyday life so some strangeness should not be a surprise.

You take my theory, try to disprove it by saying "haven't you heard of..." and stupidly tell me not to read quantum physics in case my head explodes when I'm most likely smarter than those who said that.

Judging from your posts and PM, I can guarantee that you aren't. :lol

Alright guys, let's calm down. No reason to get so worked up over fiction.

Long story short the canon explanation is put forth in Part II as parallel timelines, further refined by Gale's discussion of the ripple effect.

That's canon and it explains 99% of everything in those 3 movies. And for the remaining 1% of stuff: a wizard did it.

Any discussion of any real world time travel theories (frame dragging, wormholes, quantum theory, etc) is basically irrelevant in light of that.

-Nick

Alright guys, let's calm down. No reason to get so worked up over fiction.

Long story short the canon explanation is put forth in Part II as parallel timelines, further refined by Gale's discussion of the ripple effect.

That's canon and it explains 99% of everything in those 3 movies. And for the remaining 1% of stuff: a wizard did it.

Any discussion of any real world time travel theories (frame dragging, wormholes, quantum theory, etc) is basically irrelevant in light of that.

-Nick
LOL well said Nick! I just joined this forum and was suprised at the level of seriousness people put into BTTF, I don't think it was intended to be a "realistic" portrayal of time travel, it's just a fun film. I just got the DVD set a week ago for my 10 yr old to see, and I started "punching holes" in the time plots as well, (I had not seen them since they 1st came out) before I finally decided to just be entertained. There are no "realistic" time travel movies, because time travel is not "real" (in my opinion it never will be). So either enjoy the fun of the adventure or watch something else. discussions of "real" time travel should probably be held with other "sheldons" at the CERN labs. :lol Have a great day all

JD, you are missing the point entirely with these movies. Within the movie set rules, the time travel shown in those movies makes sense. Also, it was never meant to be an accurate portrayal of time travel and many of the things happening in conjunction with said time travel elements in the movie are there for dramatic story purposes. For heaven's sake... Doc Brown made a time machine out of a Delorean!

Is anyone else slightly disturbed that Maggie McFly bears an uncanny resemblance to Lorraine?

I think Seamus forgot his "hat" a few times himself.

You say that discussing time travel is ludicrous while at the same time sticking up to that fictional flawed time travel concept just because you love this movie series so much that by the love of donuts it would be such a shame if you actually realized that I was right about your favorite childhood movies even though you just want me to be wrong.

You ENTIRELY miss the point. We're discussing the MOVIE based on the MOVIE's portrayal of time travel and finding reasons for things based on the MOVIE's model.

Your take on the movies is wrong because they weren't written that way.

There are many different theories about time travel but none of them are worth anything because it doesn't exist. Compare yourself to Einstein all you want, you're on a movie forum not a physics forum.

Dude. I completely agree with your opinion on time travel. It brings forward the fact that people despair over, which is that everything has already happened.

However, alternate realities are a scientific plausibility, so you CAN have option 2. You just not only time traveled, but jumped reality as well. You do not go back to your own past, but you jump to the alternate reality where in '95 your younger self was kicked in the nuts, even when the time traveler himself wasn't kicked in the nuts in his '95.

Both are plausible in the sense that they can logically be explained. However... many movies still add strange aspects to the "rules", such as the jumper then being affected by what's happening with the younger self in the alternate reality. Since he is NOT from that timeline, he should really have no connection with that younger self at all, so anything happening to the younger self, will not affect the time and reality jumper, like is seen in many movies. They are disconnected. Whether the time jumper will be able to get back to his own reality timeline is another debate.

And no one actually needs to handle your opinion. Only you do. .P

I'm talking outside the movies,

Which is why you're finding it extremely difficult to get anyone to take you seriously in this discussion. That, and you're coming off as conceited. Nobody cares if you took a test once when you were sleepy. It's irrelevant to the discussion at hand - the BTTF films.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back