Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Well, it's been almost two years of slooooowly picking at it, but this weekend I finally "finished" Anakin Starkiller's V2. "Finished" because nothing makes you see what you missed like taking a picture of it. Just wanted say thank you, Halliwax for the untold hours you put in researching, iterating, documenting, and sharing the process. Your hard work (and generosity with it) greatly lowered the bar of entry for all of us that are new to the craft. (This is probably my third 'thank you' message in this thread, but this time I get to add a picture!)

Johanson_ASV2.jpg

-andrew

Well, it's been almost two years of slooooowly picking at it, but this weekend I finally "finished" Anakin Starkiller's V2. "Finished" because nothing makes you see what you missed like taking a picture of it. Just wanted say thank you, Halliwax for the untold hours you put in researching, iterating, documenting, and sharing the process. Your hard work (and generosity with it) greatly lowered the bar of entry for all of us that are new to the craft. (This is probably my third 'thank you' message in this thread, but this time I get to add a picture!)

View attachment 1271786

-andrew
That is stunning! :love:

View attachment 1271786

-andrew

Wicked job buddy!!

Hey guys! I keep using aluminum black on my booster but I keep coming away with a dark very grooved damascus steel like look. There are vertical grooves, I guess from machining, that are prevalent and are noticeably darker. This most recent time I tried just an hour ago, I left it in the AB for about 20 minutes and these grooves seemed to be even deeper this time. What gives? I don't want to have to keep sanding and going again because I'm gonna be losing OD pretty soon. Any suggestions? I am wary about trying aluminum black again because it's so finicky. Maybe I'll try bleach again or some modeling paint mixture of clear & black?

In my instructions I say you should sand the booster, 220 and step it up to 600

220, 320, 400 then 600

Then clean and do the chemical age

The FX boosters missed the last finish pass from the factory

In my instructions I say you should sand the booster, 220 and step it up to 600

220, 320, 400 then 600

Then clean and do the chemical age

The FX boosters missed the last finish pass from the factory

Okay, so from 220. I did from 400. Gotcha. I'll pick some up and try one more time! Thanks man.

You know, I could have sworn I got rid of all the machining marks on the booster back in 2018 when I got it, but chemicals make fools of us all lmao

Okay, so from 220. I did from 400. Gotcha. I'll pick some up and try one more time! Thanks man.

You know, I could have sworn I got rid of all the machining marks on the booster back in 2018 when I got it, but chemicals make fools of us all lmao

No problem buddy, I would wear gloves, aluminum dust is no good for your skin

I wouldn’t go above 600, you need something for the a14 to bite into ;)

View attachment 1271786

-andrew
Beautiful work! I love seeing these finished off so well. I especially love the job you did on the grip recesses and the way the copper on the neck pops just so. Looks just like the pictures that Brandon posted!

I weathered up my V2 today! I've been holding off for a while because I keep forgetting to buy aluminium black, but somebody said they used bleach. I gave that a shot. It's a little uneven but some of it sorta matches up with the paint wear patterns. Next I'll start on the paint, but man, before I sanded some of the darker parts to be a bit lighter, it REALLY looked like the patterns the chipped paint has anyway only greyish instead of black. It was almost a shame to smooth it out. I think I got the colors just the way I want em though! Let me know what you guys think!
View attachment 1251964View attachment 1251965View attachment 1251966View attachment 1251967View attachment 1251968
Spectacular! It is amazing how an acid like bleach interacts with organs material, like residual oils. chemistry was a great class

After a year of parts collecting and studying through this forum... I have FINISHED my V2. Thank you to all who helped me in any way and Halliwax for all your help and patience. Thank you Anakin Starkiller for your amazing model, and Trooper Trent for your attention to detail and perseverance on the stencils. I present to you...My Luke Skywalker V2...
What beautiful work. so jelly, what kit did you use

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back