Alliance Pistol from Serenity - A challenge to Model and 3D print

propmaster2000

Sr Member
I was wondering if this Alliance Prop weapon could be modeled and 3D printed?
Since the Psycho Ballistics Silver Bullet LCD Paintball Gun with the rubber grips that it was created from is no longer available and getting harder to find, it occurred to me that maybe it could be printed already modified.

I made several of these back when Serenity came out. I bought a few of them, replicated the prop and sold them.
All aluminum with machined parts.

Serenity-Alliance-Hero-pistol-w-lights-replica-1.jpg

Last edited:
It could be easily modelled (I reckon even I could do it with my limited experience), but why not just cast a real one? Cast a complete build in rubber and you have accurate stunt version!

Thanks for the response.
In all the years I have been making props, I have never learned the technique to cast or even have the means.
3D printing seems to have more advantages to me since the grip could be printed hollow for electronics in the future.
Maybe even add a small LED in the tip.
My background has been mostly in adding "life" to props.
Electronics, Mechanical motion (servos - Motors), Lights, etc. to bodies that already existed.
I enhanced and modified items that where made previously.
The 3D printer and modeling (rendering) is a new experience for me.

I too have very limited experience in 3D modeling. Getting the scale correct is a big learning curve.

Serenity_render.jpg

Serenity_render 3.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of the excellent propmaster2000 Alliance pistols.
I would think the biggest obstacle to creating an acceptable 3D printed replica would be chrome plating it.
All the prints I've seen or owned require some degree of filling to smooth over the print layers,
and I'm not sure it is possible to chrome plate over any gap filling surfacers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's a start.
They have a kickstarter for the machine that does the plating, and they are using the plating to act as filler on the 3D print,
so it obviously is being done.
3D printing definitely has its place, but other than as an exercise in recreating this prop,
I'm not sure this is the most practical approach for the average builder, even as a kit.
The falling demand for Firefly/ Serenity props may also impact the practicality of making this,
but that is the advantage of 3D printing.
No need for "economy of scale" to offset molding costs.
As a learning experience; yup, definitely a challenge!

I guess it is more of an exercise in the attempt to model it.
Even though Serenity and Firefly are long gone, I am still a fan. Much like Star Trek.
I am not much of a fan of weapons, however, since this particular one has a place in my past
(as well as the HOB Disruptor), I thought I would see if I could maybe print this one as well for my collection.
Instead of a rubber stunt, this would be a printed one.
I think if I were to complete a print, it would be as a disassembled kit so the individual parts could be cleaned and painted
with a chrome finish. I know it wouldn't be able to be handled, but it would be a nice display.

I worked a little on the modeling program to render the Serenity Alliance Pistol in 3D and I still have a ways to go.
Here it is so far:
It is to scale based on the real deal (replica).

serenity 3d print 2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I worked again some on the render and I still have the grip left to complete.
I think for my lack of experience in modeling, it turned out pretty well.
At least it is recognizable as the Alliance Pistol from Serenity.

serenity 3d print 3.jpg

serenity 3d print 4.jpg

serenity 3d print 6 exploded view.jpg

serenity 5a.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I started this thread, I was going to see if I could actually print all the pieces of the prop to see if my printer could do
it justice, but then I got side tracked and started doing research on a different project and printed this:

attachment.php

My intentions are to get back on this Serenity Alliance Pistol soon. :)

Last edited:
I loved firefly and thought the film was great too... But that looks like a cheap plastic chrome toy ray gun you could get from the newsagents... :( sorry

I was finally able to put a little more time in to the work on the Serenity Alliance pistol
and get most of the current 12 parts printed and test fitted.
I still have to render the grip and get that printed before I call this challenge done and maybe sell it in kit form.

serenity print 1.JPG

Last edited:
So far the major portions of the prop have been printed and I am now working on completing the grip.
There are three more pieces to print to get that portion completed and I will then print the trigger guard.

On both sides of the main pistol body there is also a couple detail pieces left to print and the Alliance emblem on the grip.......

serenity alliance 2.JPG

Last edited:
That's some great work you've done there. What are you printing with because I'm using an Anycubic i3 Mega and all I get from it is utter ****!

Due to the various issues when printing ABS on my CR-10S, I have to stick with PLA.
(I have it pretty well dialed in)

I think if the print is sanded fairly smooth, painted gloss black and then the body Chrome painted, this would be nice mounted to a Serenity Movie
wall plaque (with an Alliance Flare).
(I still have to add the finger/trigger guard and logos).

serenity alliance 3.JPG

Last edited:
I did a bit of rework on the 3D render of the pistol grip and added the three holes on the back side.
The trigger guard is done and attached.
The parts are only tacked together so I can pull it apart and do the finish work on it before I paint.

serenity alliance pistol sm.jpg

serenity alliance pistol 2 sm.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back