Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

FWIW I don't recall having any trouble with thicker paper back in the pre-Cambrian era when I used typewriters.
I do, then again growing up I used lots of different typewriters so were built like tanks and could type on anything yet the more modern ones (70's & early 80's would give you problems if you weren't using good paper

Found the 2019 thread discussing the Nichols phasers:

And it looks to me that the West Coast Midgrade (as presented by HeroComm) is the one my source said is also a forgery.

It may well be that the Zolar-X and Jein hero are the only actual known surviving phasers from the show. Which frankly makes more sense to me than everyone and their kid brother being gifted one.

And here are shots of what I believe is the Zolar-X. Unlike the JPL jobs, the overall look of this one feels more like the Jein hero to me, in terms of paint and details.

And here are shots of what I believe is the Zolar-X. Unlike the JPL jobs, the overall look of this one feels more like the Jein hero to me, in terms of paint and details.

You are correct it's the Zolar-X. JPL didn't start doing his until he got his hands on one of the S&W "super mids" and that was around 2013-ish.....

He ended up buying all the mid's "W" from S&W had available so all of JPL's recent builds are based on it.

According to a few conversations I've had he's redone one of the mids for new molds that is decidedly different but still based on the S&W mids

You are correct it's the Zolar-X. JPL didn't start doing his until he got his hands on one of the S&W "super mids" and that was around 2013-ish.....

He ended up buying all the mid's "W" from S&W had available so all of JPL's recent builds are based on it.

According to a few conversations I've had he's redone one of the mids for new molds that is decidedly different but still based on the S&W mids

Sounds about right.

I think we need to go top-to-bottom and reevaluate all of the known surviving props for looks for tells and commonalities. And not presume that ANY of them are real. Maybe not even the Jein hero, although I think its chances of also being a fake are remote.

But almost everything else might well be.

Sounds about right.

I think we need to go top-to-bottom and reevaluate all of the known surviving props for looks for tells and commonalities. And not presume that ANY of them are real. Maybe not even the Jein hero, although I think its chances of also being a fake are remote.

But almost everything else might well be.
I'll be honest the Jein Hero & Mids, Tricorders and comms from his estate are the gold standard.

I have examined the West Coast Midgrade TWICE in person both times I was allowed to hold it. There was an almost identical copy made that was put on display in various venues. I'd say most people who saw it when it was on display for the public to see saw the copy.

I'm the furthest thing from an expert on the phasers.

I got my R.Shanko mid and that's the closest I'll ever get to having a screen used phaser.

(Yeah, I know the games Ron used to play yet he has amazing skills as a builder)

Last edited:
A bit tangential, but I’ll post this here:

I’ve been given permission to share these recent images of the Greg Jein hero phaser in its current state, as Heritage prepares to auction it off.

I’m sad to report that it’s in bad shape. The acrylic P2 emitter is missing entirely, and the rear shell is cracked, with the fins not currently attached.

IMG_5943.jpeg
IMG_5944.jpeg
IMG_5945.jpeg
IMG_5946.jpeg

This is in stark contrast to the photos Heritage put up on its site, which featured the prop in a much more intact state. Someone obviously dropped or otherwise damaged the prop between then and now, but Heritage apparently claims that its current state is the condition they received it in.

So now we have *two* completely fubared phaser auctions going on simultaneously. One with a fake midgrade, and the other with a priceless hero being tossed around and damaged, which theoretically should devalue its final sale price, right?

Scammers and incompetents and phasers, oh, my!

I'm no expert but it looks like the acrylic tip is there- but retracted back inside the nozzle. Possibly that little tab the P1 pushes the tip out isn't engaged?

That is... tragic. The fins on the back just being tossed on top is fortunate... they could have attempted to JB weld them into place. Was this photo taken at a preview?

So now we have *two* completely fubared phaser auctions going on simultaneously. One with a fake midgrade, and the other with a priceless hero being tossed around and damaged, which theoretically should devalue its final sale price, right?

You forgot to mention the inaccurately reassembled communicator... Assuming the emitter is broken off, and not just shoved in like KitSmasher theorizes, that's a considerable amount of damage. Let's see if they update the images.

I'm no expert but it looks like the acrylic tip is there- but retracted back inside the nozzle. Possibly that little tab the P1 pushes the tip out isn't engaged?

It can’t retract that far in when the hand phaser is inserted into the pistol body. There are many photos and documentation of how far the tip extends and retracts with and without the P1 installed.

Unless the brass tab which the P1 faceplate engages with is broken off. That might allow the emitter tip to sit inside the aluminum nozzle.

Yikes—that does look like the acrylic emitter is cracked off, leaving the grain o’ wheat bulb hanging out.

IMG_1469.jpeg

One of the acrylic spacers between the rear fins appears to be gone as well.

IMG_1470.jpeg

It appeared to be undamaged in a recently posted video filmed at Heritage (from 3 weeks ago).

IMG_1471.jpeg
IMG_1472.jpeg

If I recall correctly, the twist-lock mechanism wore out, long ago, and no longer securely holds the handle to the Phaser II body…if someone tried to pick it up by the handle, the phaser II could easily flop off…

Last edited:
From the famous video of the Jein Hero…

This is how far back the Phaser II emitter normally retracts when the Phaser I is removed…

IMG_1473.jpeg
IMG_1475.jpeg

IMG_1474.jpeg

Compared to the current photos…

IMG_1477.jpeg
IMG_1473.jpeg
IMG_1475.jpeg
IMG_1476.jpeg

I hope this isn’t what it appears that it may be…

Last edited:
A bit tangential, but I’ll post this here:

I’ve been given permission to share these recent images of the Greg Jein hero phaser in its current state, as Heritage prepares to auction it off.

I’m sad to report that it’s in bad shape. The acrylic P2 emitter is missing entirely, and the rear shell is cracked, with the fins not currently attached.

View attachment 1748379View attachment 1748380View attachment 1748381View attachment 1748382

This is in stark contrast to the photos Heritage put up on its site, which featured the prop in a much more intact state. Someone obviously dropped or otherwise damaged the prop between then and now, but Heritage apparently claims that its current state is the condition they received it in.

Scammers and incompetents and phasers, oh, my!
This is very useful to know, and avoid bidding on. Thanks.

So, I haven’t been following this much, so I am confused… shouldn’t the consignor, who owns the piece, be raising hell with the auction house? They know that condition they dropped it off in, and the now can see the current state of it. Shouldn’t the auction house be responsible for damaging it. They can publicly try to claim this is how they received it all they want, but they can’t lie to the consignor’s face, especially if the consignor has photo proof of it. If the auction house, in the least, appraises this at the staring bid of $80,000, then shouldn’t their insurance cover that much for damages? It just makes no sense how Heritage has been getting away with selling fakes, falsely inflating market values, and now damaging consignments and not owning up to it. This company is run by crooks. :unsure:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back