Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

Here is the main story, from a YouTuber who normally covers speedrunning and retro gaming. It's been picked up by quite a few major news outlets, as well. The video is long, but fascinating. There is a lot of moving parts, and it can get a bit confusing at times. It's not clear, as yet, how accurate all the reporting is, but it doesn't look good.

Ho… ly… CRAP. I wish I had seen this video and learned more about the subject matter last year, when it mattered more. Quite an eye-opener, especially regarding the auction house in question, its principals, and the secrecy surrounding this auction. Very, very disturbing information, if true.

I'm totally with you, I buy Mexican Coke in the glass bottle at Costco 24 bottles at a time. It's clearly a different and superior taste.

The facts of the formula change are known, what is unknown is if it was deliberate misdirection by Coke or if they just got super lucky with the way things worked out.
Really? Man, how the world has changed. In my day, we all bought Bolivian coke… wait did I just say that out loud?

I checked out that Azarian Collection on FB. There’s a certain piece on there that looks… familiar, though the photo is far too fuzzy to be conclusive. Anyone have any thoughts? It certainly makes me wonder about the rifle…

27D9BFA7-DA4C-4F3D-894E-0F7389ACF0F2.jpeg

My joke wasn't as good as I originally thought. ;)

I said overqualified as far as HA is concerned, meaning all they required is someone that is breathing.

Well, I understood. I got it

Please dont let anything stop you from posting more

If you like my post, I sooo totally got it.

If you dislike my post, ARGH! You Again!

I must have missed a few classes (and/or) posts in the phaser forum on the TPZ. (I was not aware of Hero.com or TOSGraphics.) And unfortunately I missed the P2 Forgery thread (!) when I joined this year. I just read through the forgery thread yesterday and my head is spinning! So please bare with me and let me state what I know and then ask my questions - thanks in advance.

It was my understanding that 4 working hero aka "practical" P2s were built during/for Season 1 episodes by the Desilu Prop Department.

However I thought only the first 3 were B&Ws - the first two made for episode 5 "The Enemy Within" and the third for episode 6 "The Man Trap".

And the fourth working Hero (the GJ) was made for episode 17, "Shore Leave". Which if I am understanding the timeline correctly - would have been after Wah Chang "refurbished" the first three B&W Hero Phasers.

I have carefully studied episode 5, "The Enemy Within" and episode 6, "The Man Trap". I see 3 different B&W Hero P2s in these two episodes.

Here are my statements (of my understanding) for this post:

(I) The P2 Sulu holds, changes the P1 in the P2 and then fires on the planet's surface in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" was a working P2 with a working P1.
(a) The P1 on the P2 that Sulu used had Velcro on the left side.
(b) This P1 and P2 does not look like the GJ P2 to me.
(c) I do not see the P2 that Sulu used in episode 5 again until episode 8, "Charlie X".
(d) This P2 was the "Red Alert" P2 in episode 13, "Conscience Of The King" after wah Chang
(e) I never see this P2 again.

(II) The P2 that Spock carries and first reveals the rising sight on the P1, on the first combat scene on the planet's surface in episode 6, "The Man Trap", is the same P2 that Kirk later carries into Dr. McCoy's cabin to kill the salt monster. And this famous close up of the P2 that Spock first carries is also used in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" (The good Kirk is wearing the first pattern wrap around captain's leisure shirt without braid on the sleeves when he confronts his evil twin in engineering. - - which I took to mean episode 5 used this first P2 close up scene from episode 6.) This P2 (that Spock first carries and uses) is a working P2 with a working P1 - - you can see the P1 grain of wheat bulb is lit and the sight is up when Kirk walks in and the P2 emitter lights before the animated beam appears when Dr. McCoy fires the P2 at the monster.
(a) The P1 on the P2 that Spock carries on the planet surface has Velcro on the left side. Spock pulled this P2 off his gold pistol belt and you can hear the Velcro break sound when he first sees the body of the dead crewman?
(b) This is the same P2 that Spock wore and used in episode 5, "The Enemy Within".
(c) This P2 has a conical emitter.
(d) This P2 became the "Court" P2 - that Finney jabs in Kirk's back in engineering - after Wah Chang.

(III) The P2 that Kirk carries on the planet surface in episode 6, "The Man Trap" has the cylindrical emitter - - you can clearly see the shadow on the nozzle is not conical when his P2 and Spock's P2 are side by side - front views in the same scene.
(a) Kirk's P2 is a working P2 - - you can clearly see the emitter lamp light before the animated beam appears when he shoots Dr. Crater.
(b) The P1 on Kirk's P2 is a working P1 - - you can see the sight is up and the grain of wheat bulb is lit.
(c) The P1 on Kirk's P2 has Velcro on the left side. - - you can see the actor keeps his hand on his P2 when he runs and he pull it off his gold pistol belt several
times in this episode.
(d) This P2 is the same P2 that Kirk used in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" in engineering.
(e) This P2 became the P2 that Kirk is holding when Finney jabs him in the back with the "Court" P2 in episode 15, "Court Martial".

(IV) Herb solo referred to "non-working practical phasers"... (Note: I am trying to track down the source of this statement - and I may be mixing props.)

(V) Episode 10, "What Are Little Girls Made Of" was the last episode to film B&W P2s and P1s.

(VI) The Wah Chang refurbished P2s and P1s were first filmed in episode 11, "Dagger Of The Mind".

(VII) The "inventory list" reflects that each hero P2 had a hero P1 - which implies there were only 4 hero P1s made. At least one of the B&W Hero P1s is not identified as a stand alone hero P1.

And here are my questions for this post:

1. If my observations of episodes: 5 and 6 are correct and I have identified 3 different working Hero P2s - and none of these 3 are the GJ - then what is the apparent Hero P2 that Dr. Van Gelder held briefly on the bridge (pointing it in Kirk's direction) in episode 11, "Dagger Of The Mind"?
2. Is the P2 that Dr. Van Gelder holds in episode 11 a working P2?
3. Is this not the same P2 that Riley later holds in episode 13, "Conscience Of The King"?
4. And this is the same P2 that Lenore also holds and shoots in episode 13, "Conscience Of The King"?
(i) I do not see a horseshoe in the sight window of the P2 that Lenore holds
(ii) I do not see the emitter lamp light before the beam animation when she fires it.
- - The sight window on the Lenore P2 looks like the later sight windows on the "Midgrade" P2s that Kirk and Spock hold and use in episode 26, "The Devil In
The Dark". There is depth in the forehead space and the white substance behind the sight window glass, where the P1 nozzle would be, is lumpy.
(iii) The Riley/ Lenore has a real "ten Turn" knob and other Hero parts.

5. Was the "Riley/Lenore" P2 one of the "non-working" hero/practical phasers that Solow mentions?

6. Did the Desilu Prop Department make the Van Gelder/Riley/Lenore P2 before they got the "refurbished" P2s back from Wah Chang?
(i) The different screw placements
(ii) The different P2 body color
(iii) The different P3 (power pack grip) color

7. Did the Desilu Prop Department build hero P1s that were not part of a hero P2 build?

Thanks again

I must have missed a few classes (and/or) posts in the phaser forum on the TPZ. (I was not aware of Hero.com or TOSGraphics.) And unfortunately I missed the P2 Forgery thread (!) when I joined this year. I just read through the forgery thread yesterday and my head is spinning! So please bare with me and let me state what I know and then ask my questions - thanks in advance.

It was my understanding that 4 working hero aka "practical" P2s were built during/for Season 1 episodes by the Desilu Prop Department.

However I thought only the first 3 were B&Ws - the first two made for episode 5 "The Enemy Within" and the third for episode 6 "The Man Trap".

And the fourth working Hero (the GJ) was made for episode 17, "Shore Leave". Which if I am understanding the timeline correctly - would have been after Wah Chang "refurbished" the first three B&W Hero Phasers.

I have carefully studied episode 5, "The Enemy Within" and episode 6, "The Man Trap". I see 3 different B&W Hero P2s in these two episodes.

Here are my statements (of my understanding) for this post:

(I) The P2 Sulu holds, changes the P1 in the P2 and then fires on the planet's surface in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" was a working P2 with a working P1.
(a) The P1 on the P2 that Sulu used had Velcro on the left side.
(b) This P1 and P2 does not look like the GJ P2 to me.
(c) I do not see the P2 that Sulu used in episode 5 again until episode 8, "Charlie X".
(d) This P2 was the "Red Alert" P2 in episode 13, "Conscience Of The King" after wah Chang
(e) I never see this P2 again.

(II) The P2 that Spock carries and first reveals the rising sight on the P1, on the first combat scene on the planet's surface in episode 6, "The Man Trap", is the same P2 that Kirk later carries into Dr. McCoy's cabin to kill the salt monster. And this famous close up of the P2 that Spock first carries is also used in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" (The good Kirk is wearing the first pattern wrap around captain's leisure shirt without braid on the sleeves when he confronts his evil twin in engineering. - - which I took to mean episode 5 used this first P2 close up scene from episode 6.) This P2 (that Spock first carries and uses) is a working P2 with a working P1 - - you can see the P1 grain of wheat bulb is lit and the sight is up when Kirk walks in and the P2 emitter lights before the animated beam appears when Dr. McCoy fires the P2 at the monster.
(a) The P1 on the P2 that Spock carries on the planet surface has Velcro on the left side. Spock pulled this P2 off his gold pistol belt and you can hear the Velcro break sound when he first sees the body of the dead crewman?
(b) This is the same P2 that Spock wore and used in episode 5, "The Enemy Within".
(c) This P2 has a conical emitter.
(d) This P2 became the "Court" P2 - that Finney jabs in Kirk's back in engineering - after Wah Chang.

(III) The P2 that Kirk carries on the planet surface in episode 6, "The Man Trap" has the cylindrical emitter - - you can clearly see the shadow on the nozzle is not conical when his P2 and Spock's P2 are side by side - front views in the same scene.
(a) Kirk's P2 is a working P2 - - you can clearly see the emitter lamp light before the animated beam appears when he shoots Dr. Crater.
(b) The P1 on Kirk's P2 is a working P1 - - you can see the sight is up and the grain of wheat bulb is lit.
(c) The P1 on Kirk's P2 has Velcro on the left side. - - you can see the actor keeps his hand on his P2 when he runs and he pull it off his gold pistol belt several
times in this episode.
(d) This P2 is the same P2 that Kirk used in episode 5, "The Enemy Within" in engineering.
(e) This P2 became the P2 that Kirk is holding when Finney jabs him in the back with the "Court" P2 in episode 15, "Court Martial".

(IV) Herb solo referred to "non-working practical phasers"... (Note: I am trying to track down the source of this statement - and I may be mixing props.)

(V) Episode 10, "What Are Little Girls Made Of" was the last episode to film B&W P2s and P1s.

(VI) The Wah Chang refurbished P2s and P1s were first filmed in episode 11, "Dagger Of The Mind".

(VII) The "inventory list" reflects that each hero P2 had a hero P1 - which implies there were only 4 hero P1s made. At least one of the B&W Hero P1s is not identified as a stand alone hero P1.

And here are my questions for this post:

1. If my observations of episodes: 5 and 6 are correct and I have identified 3 different working Hero P2s - and none of these 3 are the GJ - then what is the apparent Hero P2 that Dr. Van Gelder held briefly on the bridge (pointing it in Kirk's direction) in episode 11, "Dagger Of The Mind"?
2. Is the P2 that Dr. Van Gelder holds in episode 11 a working P2?
3. Is this not the same P2 that Riley later holds in episode 13, "Conscience Of The King"?
4. And this is the same P2 that Lenore also holds and shoots in episode 13, "Conscience Of The King"?
(i) I do not see a horseshoe in the sight window of the P2 that Lenore holds
(ii) I do not see the emitter lamp light before the beam animation when she fires it.
- - The sight window on the Lenore P2 looks like the later sight windows on the "Midgrade" P2s that Kirk and Spock hold and use in episode 26, "The Devil In
The Dark". There is depth in the forehead space and the white substance behind the sight window glass, where the P1 nozzle would be, is lumpy.
(iii) The Riley/ Lenore has a real "ten Turn" knob and other Hero parts.

5. Was the "Riley/Lenore" P2 one of the "non-working" hero/practical phasers that Solow mentions?

6. Did the Desilu Prop Department make the Van Gelder/Riley/Lenore P2 before they got the "refurbished" P2s back from Wah Chang?
(i) The different screw placements
(ii) The different P2 body color
(iii) The different P3 (power pack grip) color

7. Did the Desilu Prop Department build hero P1s that were not part of a hero P2 build?

Thanks again
You do realize that the episodes were not broadcast in production order, right? None of the episodes you cite to were shot in the order you have them. The first production episode shot was Corbomite Maneuver. Man Trap was fifth or sixth. The last broadcast episode with B & W phasers is What Are Little Girls Made Of? And the first broadcast episode featuring the reworked phasers is Dagger of the Mind.

The phasers would have all been built during series preproduction. By the time they were delivered to the production, GR rejected them as “unacceptable,” but it was too late to do anything about it before shooting began. They had to find a hole in the shooting schedule for Wah to do the work, which is why they didn’t show up with the new look till later.

And the midgrades showed up even later, in The Devil in the Dark.

Do a web search for “Star Trek original series production order” and you can find a full list. Then the phaser story will start to make more sense to you.

You do realize that the episodes were not broadcast in production order, right? None of the episodes you cite to were shot in the order you have them. The first production episode shot was Corbomite Maneuver. Man Trap was fifth or sixth. The last broadcast episode with B & W phasers is What Are Little Girls Made Of? And the first broadcast episode featuring the reworked phasers is Dagger of the Mind.

The phasers would have all been built during series preproduction. By the time they were delivered to the production, GR rejected them as “unacceptable,” but it was too late to do anything about it before shooting began. They had to find a hole in the shooting schedule for Wah to do the work, which is why they didn’t show up with the new look till later.

And the midgrades showed up even later, in The Devil in the Dark.

Do a web search for “Star Trek original series production order” and you can find a full list. Then the phaser story will start to make more sense to you.
Thanks for the reply (I did not realize I posted my questions in this thread).
Yes - I do realize the episode production order did not match the broadcast order. Hence the reason I posted episode numbers.
Yes - I knew the last episode the B&Ws appeared in was "What are Little Girls Made Of".

I always thought the crack in your picture occurred after GJ got it. I seem to remember John Long mentioning that when GJ was showing it to someone they dropped it. Was it there when the autopsy video was shot?
Yes—the crack is there in the autopsy video.

In the video, you can hear President Geroge H.W. Bush speaking. I would estimate the video dates from the 1989 / 1990 timeframe…close to the time when some guy peed on the The Dude’s rug that “really tied the room together”.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back