Aliens APC 1:18 scale with interior

Thanks Joberg. I thought a simple grid design like this would fit well.

Just a quick update while I take a break. I've finally got round to creating the last 2 pieces of roof-line (the white panels). I worked out how I can use them to help attach the front cabin to the chassis. Dremel sanding drum to the rescue. :)

APC_21080301.jpg

APC_21080302.jpg

I may add another update today - I've finished up the other 2 floor grates and made a decision on the interior colour - Tamiya Field Grey. I started to paint some elements and the uniform colour is tying them all together very well.

Nice clean lines & craftsmanship. Sure it is a challenge to achieve when working with an interior at the same time. Bet you love your Dremel Tool.

Searun - thanks for the kind words and yup I definitely do. :)

APC_210803a.jpg

APC_210803a.jpg

The interior looks a lot more cohesive now and I'm glad to be rid of that 'pea green' colour. I'll be adding more detail throughout all of this later on. I'll add some satin and gloss varnishes where appropriate too.

You and me both, Joberg. I'll make do with my temp crew for now but I will be re-creating them all - god help me. :)

I had an issue with how I was trying to attach the front cabin. The method I was constructing just wasn't strong enough mechanically. So, I worked on an alternative using brass rod which, seems to be holding up really well.

APC_21080401.jpg

Those two little brass pins sticking out of the side just ahead of the wheel are the key.

APC_21080402.jpg

APC_21080403.jpg

They extend inside and hook onto...

APC_21080404.jpg

These hooks which will be glued into the chassis tomorrow.

APC_21080405.jpg

The earlier method I tried relied on strips of styrene and interlocking tabs to hold the front on which just wasn't going to work.

I'll snip the pins flush on the outside and re-do those last (white) bits of roof.

Hi Skiffy, back to the RPF after a hiatus, thought I'd check in on my favourite watch projects...boy you've been busy and it's really looking good...

Got myself some of the micro leds to check them out...thought the pack was empty! Boy there are teeny!

Keep crackin on mate, loving it (y)

I had some time, no, let me re-phrase that, I MADE some time to work on this over last weekend. I needed some therapy after the first days back at college. I bought some Tamiya semi-gloss clear to add some specular notes to the inside and outside of the APC where needed - since the acrylics I'm using are all flat finishes. I tried it on the seat cushions on the driver's chair and added some wear/dirt too.

Excuse the crappy lighting - it looks a lot better in person.

APC_21090401.jpg

I've put off routing the wiring for the lights. Don't really know why, it's just not something I've ever done before. I made a start today and worked out where to route the wires.

APC_21090403.jpg

I'll add in-scale cable retention clips and such, route them cleanly and paint them up properly.

APC_21090402.jpg

There'll be two battery boxes, one on each side - you can see one just resting in the top of it's housing. One for the exterior lights, and one for the interior cabin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support Joberg - keeps me at it. :)

Searun - yes, I found reference for the exact seat. It's from an aircraft (I forget which) and it was also used, dressed differently, in the Keaton Batman's batcave. I did spice it up a little since it was dressed for the set of Aliens too. I'll be adding in the flight harnesses later.

I did a little more today - I broke out the airbrush and gave some of the interior walls (the sections that will be visible) a coat of Tamiya Field Grey. As I've said previously, that's what I've decided to use for the general interior. It's lighter than many of the alternatives I found without being too different from what appears on screen.

APC_21091101.jpg

Oh - I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me if there's a Tamiya bottle colour to match the TS-28 Olive Drab 2 spray-can. If I'm just touching up the exterior I'd rather be using a brush / the airbrush. Those rattle cans are expensive!

Last edited:
Nice little video. Excellent job creating a full interior and still keeping construction of details so clean and neat. No small amount of thinking went into the build regarding how to do things. Really surprised that your structure permitted space for the interior without being cramped based on the scale selected.

Nice little video. Excellent job creating a full interior and still keeping construction of details so clean and neat. No small amount of thinking went into the build regarding how to do things. Really surprised that your structure permitted space for the interior without being cramped based on the scale selected.
Thank you Searun. Mine is a little taller in proportion - about 10% if I remember, and of course, it's a little over-scaled too. I wanted there to be room inside for a character to stand (just about) as in the interior set. Eventually I'll buy the Hiya Toys version and see how mine relates to that.

Thanks Joberg!

The console that Gorman sits at has some complex lighting going on. In order to give an impression of that, I built a foil-backed lighting trough under the desk with 2 large LEDs.

APC_21092501.jpg

I 3d printed keyboards in a mix of regular grey resin and clear resin. The clear ones rest on drilled out desk sections and will get light-blocking paint in some areas. There are also some clear parts added from the bits box. I'll drill some small holes to drop fibre into as well.

I printed out scale versions of the console screens and glued them into their frames. They could be better but will do until I get around to the revisiting / snagging stage later.

APC_21092502.jpg

APC_21092503.jpg

I know that the driver's position is often seen lit in red so I added a shaved LED to that, wrapped in foil to (hopefully) direct the beam forward onto the driver's face.

APC_21092504.jpg

I want to shoot another video featuring all the lighting as it stands presently but ran out of time today.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back