Ad Astra - Space Pistol Prop Gun

Harada357

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone Have any references for the AD ASTRA Pistol prop used in the film? There are some bad screen caps - It looks like a pressure gauge on the back - Just thought it was interesting.

AD ASTRA - Brad Pitt - Tommy Lee Jones - Movie

Capture.JPG

This is NOT accurate - just a general idea. Looking for details. Thanks.

UPDATE !!!! - Here is picture of the movie prop
IMG_1089.JPG

Last edited:
I looked around for good shots from the film a month or so ago - very hard to find. Middling screen caps from trailers are all I have:

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 1,618
  • ss1a.jpg
    ss1a.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 1,350
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 821
I don't think that the gun has a trigger guard...not easy to slip one finger in, with these thick gloveso_O

I looked around for good shots from the film a month or so ago - very hard to find. Middling screen caps from trailers are all I have:

Thanks man - these are better than the others i could find. As for the trigger guard - When a female astronaut takes a shot at our hero on buard their ship - it had a trigger guard. Most likely removable.

I plan to do a 3D model for printing when enough accurate sources are available. The quick sketch at the top is only a scaling test in "Pimp my Gun" - I won't start the 3D model until I have it right. I liked the movie.

THANKS for the input ALL : )

Check out the link below. From what little I see from the screen caps of the pistol, it looks like the prop design may have been influenced and possible kit-bashed with similar high end pneumatic rifles.

Good luck with your project. I look forward to seeing this one done. I am not an expert on the actual science of it, but I thought the idea of a pneumo weapon was an interesting idea.

Check out the link below. From what little I see from the screen caps of the pistol, it looks like the prop design may have been influenced and possible kit-bashed with similar high end pneumatic rifles.

Good luck with your project. I look forward to seeing this one done. I am not an expert on the actual science of it, but I thought the idea of a pneumo weapon was an interesting idea.

Thanks Rick,

I think this is a chemical projectile weapon that uses its own supply of oxygen for the chemical explosive. It fires multiple rounds - so it is magazine fed or a revolver. It could be a throwaway type tool - once it is empty of rounds and oxygen - it is simply disposable. There is a large rifle version or rocket launcher. I thought the design was interesting and a fairly easy shape to 3D model.

I will keep you posted.

OK - still researching the prop before trying to model it in Rhino 3D for a Printable version. The details are hard to capture. I have an idea of the general arrangement. This item came to mind - possibly the inspiration for the design of the prop.

hqdefault.jpg

2134-1z.jpg

002re.JPG

The prop has custom handle - gauges - gas feed - trigger - trigger guard - But there is a similarity in arrangement.

The finished props are spectacular. That internal cylinder with 6 rounds is very cool. I've been wondering about these guns since seeing the movie. I don't remember ever seeing the rifle. That thing is wicked.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back