5 Foot Falcon Replica - ANH

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by t2sides, Oct 9, 2017.

1. turambar

turambar New Member

Puuuuh- I was just about drying out for waiting so long! Those new pics are very much welcome! Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated.

2. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Let me know when you are about done with this and I'll give you my shipping address.

3. joberg

joberg Master Member

Sorry Laspector; I have first dibs :D

4. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

LOL - Funny Fellas!!

Quick update here - more later tonight... Got the last part for the lower Jawbox - to be a perfect match to the rear landing gear doors, Steve Neisen printed this plate up for me, like he did for the others last year! It is a PERFECT fit, as well as look and feel. First shot is just laying it down, second is the part bonded down and primered. That jawbox is now pretty much done.
    jb1.jpg
    jb2.jpg

Next up, got the majority of the "Damage" area on the Starboard hull done. Still need to chop into the jawbox and do some more minor chipping and such. You'll see the crazy mess that was made my grinding away the acrylic hull, then a thin (.005) styrene sheet, heated it up and formed it to the divets. Then the .040 Styrene plating, chopped out to match the original as close as possible. So much fun doing these kinds of detail areas!

Sdamage1.jpg
    Sdamage2.jpg
    Sdamage3.jpg
    Sdamage4.jpg
    Sdamage5.jpg
    Sdamage6.jpg
    Sdamage7.jpg

More pics of the progress of the cockpit tube plating wrapping up next!
    Thanks
    Sean

rbeach84, Axlotl, dirtydave and 4 others like this.
  5. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great!

I’ve always been intrigued by how the correct curvature in the plating is made. Do you have a compass-like device you use?

6. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks Scott!! Yeah, ALL the white styrene plating you see on the entire model is HAND cut by me, no computer prints/drawings that I'm tracing from. I do indeed do use a 'compass' approach. For the inner diameters, I use an 18" metal ruler with slide on/adjustable ends, one pointy, one with a pencil or Xacto blade on it. I typically draw the arc, or scribe it, then go back and hand cut it. Then lightly sand the ends, use the 'chompers' to cut out the nibbles, and glue the plating down. I always liked the hand fabricated approach to the original, so that's what I'm going for. The drawback is, by not using CAD overlays, sometimes my plating alignments are not 'perfect' to the original, but things come together more than close enough for me to keep pressing ahead. If I do screw up a plate, the beauty with gluing styrene to primer instead of the acrylic directly, is the plating easily pops back off with little to no residue, I can cut a new plate, and then re-bond the new one.
    -Sean

7. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Its looking so good, there could be a ton of mess ups and its not at all noticeable.

8. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

HAHA !! THANKS Jamie!! Ryan's a bit of a slacker these days!! :p

JediMichael - Shhhhh, that's supposed to be a Secret! Ha!

Ok, so here's getting to where I'm at about now. Finished up 'most' of the Cockpit plating. There are still a number of 'greeblies' that need to go down on the cockpit walkway area. Then I need to start laying down the tons of 'chips' all over the rest of the plating. Once the rest of that all gets done, I'll probably work on putting down the original KoolShade strip over the 9 vent holes (that's gonna be fun...Not). Then, I'll be restarting on finishing up the Top Gun Turret (the primed one is for the bottom), and one of the final decisions is to move forward with the full Studio Set interior. Thanks to Maruska, I pretty much have all the parts/details for that, but it will also slow down completion. I always planned to have the original miniature cockpit interior to swap out with the set. I'll be forced to decide soon. :eek

So, on to the latest progress...

Finishing up the Plating between the cockpit and the jawbox.

Tube1.JPG

Plating all down in this area

Tube2.JPG

Starting the plating of the Cockpit Tunnel
    Tube3.JPG

Getting plating on the front side of Cockpit tunnel (using greeblie parts as I go along to help 'measure'.
    Tube4.JPG

Most of the Cockpit tunnel plating all down, with about 75% of the greeblies.
    Tube5.JPG
    Tube6.JPG

Mocking up cockpit cone and to see how it's all looking.
    Tube7.JPG

One of the First views of it in a nearly completed state of construction - with the top Gun Turret plate (Still needs to be trimmed to contour)
    Tube8.jpg
    Tube9.JPG

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement - getting closer to full on primer, then on to painting - ohhh that's gonna be a lot of work!
    -Sean

peza, Heirophant, moffeaton and 8 others like this.
  9. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

And I almost forgot, got the majority of this area finished up too.

Still have a few minor items, but it was nice to see the pipes and parts go down.
    PortDetails1.JPG
    PortDetails2.JPG

One additional shot of the 'inside' of the cockpit tube plating.

Tube10.JPG

10. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Killing this thing. So how much have you spent so far? And yes, we know, too much. I'm working on a MUCH smaller sized ship right now and its cost me (estimated) around 3 or 4 hundred so far....

11. joberg

joberg Master Member

Incredible work t2sides:cool!!

12. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

.....I'll be in my bunk...;)

13. korben44

korben44 Sr Member

Inspirational stuff! You've got some great patience and skill! Looking forward to the final product...

14. bwize

bwize Well-Known Member

This is such an inspiring build and has aided me in converting/super detailing many details of my Deagostini Falcon model. I have discovered so many details about the 5 footer from your build that I have never noticed before. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome build.

15. BDillon

BDillon New Member

* Sean!! This is actually my first post on RPF, and I just have to say that I am totally blown away by this! I have always been a huge fan of your work, and this is yet one more shining example of your incredible talent! WOW!!!

Brad

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  16. peza

peza Active Member

The wowness of wow t! This is coming on leaps and bounds(y)thumbsup

17. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Hey THANKS again Guys!!! Much appreciated!! Brad!!! Great to see you hear, Welcome!!! Can't wait to see some of your impressive work popping up!!

So, brief update. Finished up most of the little greeblies on the cockpit 'walkway' areas. I think I only had to sub 1 or 2 parts of all those suckers! Pretty happy overall with it.

I also got the Classic KoolShade installed over the vent holes. Made my first real 'error' here though, don't mind sharing as it shows things don't always work out. What I did was forgot to compensate for the distance of the cockpit tube that includes the beveled 'connection' between the tube and the cone. That put me too far forward with the vent holes, then when I put the KoolShade over with it's inherent offset from being centered on the holes, I wound up putting the whole section 'too close' to the cockpit cone. I considered for about half a second to rip it out and re build it, but I decided to live with the flaw. Sometimes, for me at least, it's OK not to get as 'perfect' as you were hoping for, so you can just keep moving forward and get a project done. Considering how much of this ship is nuts on accurate, this oversight will just be part of this ship. One other note - I used my "Panther G" strips that should be on the KoolShade for another project, so I wound up using "JagD Panther". Not a perfect match again to the original, but when it's all ya got.....

Next up will be to finish all the little styrene chips on the rest of the hull plating, a few more cockpit details, then on to plating the cone, adding the t-strips, then going for the interior work. Starting to see the construction finish line, but it's still a fair amount of work to do. HUGE KUDO's to Lee Malone, beyond impressed on how fast he put his 5 Footer together!!

The detail parts are all down here
    cp04.jpg

Was cool to put in the Ladder Chief 'emergency hatch' part down
    cp03.jpg
    With the KoolShade pushed forward, this detail area wound up 'stretching' a bit
    cp02.jpg
    Cp01.jpg

Styrene chips and greeblies going down on the hull section here
    cp05.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  18. Gort

Gort Well-Known Member

Wow. I haven't been on here for a while, however looks like I've dropped by at a good time for 5' foot Falcon building. Its been a joy reading through your build and seeing your Falcon coming together. Following what Lee Malone has done with his big Falcon and now what you are doing with yours, the craftsmanship is truly inspirational.

19. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Hey Nick!! Welcome Back!! THANK YOU for the kind comments.

Here's the latest Update - MAJOR MILESTONE for me reached!! Got the whole ship in primer today!

So after putting down a number of final details on the main hull and assembly, I got the whole base primer coat down, and started finishing up the top gun turret with it's parts along the side. That should get primer this week. Next will be plating the cockpit cone, adding the t-strips to the window frames, and lastly get going on the Cockpit Interior.
    Here's a bunch of pics....

Rear Top view
    Primer1.jpg
    Primer2.jpg

Engine Deck
    Primer3.jpg
    Primer4.jpg

Port Side with unfinished dish support
    Primer6.jpg

And without the dish support
    Primer5.jpg
    Primer7.jpg
    Primer8.jpg
    Primer9.jpg

Primer10.jpg

20. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

And another round of pics.....

Continuing to swing around, close up of Starboard side

Primer11.jpg Primer19.jpg
    Primer18.jpg
    Primer17.jpg Primer16.jpg

A classic type angle, looking the part!

Primer15.jpg

Primer14.jpg
    Primer13.jpg

Top Jawbox and damage area
    Primer12.jpg

Still have to cut out the damage on the jawbox where it meets the hull
    Primer20.jpg

Primer21.jpg

And the Port side (Engine Milkplex and Underside engine plate not yet installed)
    Primer22.jpg

21. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

As an aside, thought it'd be cool to show a size comparison of the Engine Section to the Studio Scale Galactica - Though the Galactica was a lot of work, this shows how much more significantly more mass there is to the Falcon.

EngGal2.jpg EngGal.jpg

22. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Spectacular! Funny how all the details pop even more for some reason when it’s all primed. Can’t wait to watch the paint job come along.

Beautifuller and beautifuller. :)

Dan

23. nkg

nkg Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*. That looks great!

- nkg

24. azheat01

azheat01 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, just wow!

25. Larry T

Larry T Active Member

Absolutely beautiful!

26. stevielewis

stevielewis Well-Known Member

27. Gort

Gort Well-Known Member

Now that's just showing off! :D Joking aside that's a great comparison shot, and not one many people can make! Really does show the size of the Falcon. No wonder ILM built a smaller one for the acrobatics required in Empire...

28. bigpetr

bigpetr Member

Spectacular!!!. It Looks sharp and slick in black primer:). By the way thank you for 300+ breathtaking photos posted here.Keep them coming.

29. nkg

nkg Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This and the Rogue Studios photos are awesome for vicarious Falconing.

30. joberg

joberg Master Member

It'll be difficult to beat that one!! Way cooler than anything else around here:cool

31. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

You guys are Awesome! Thank you for the kind comments!!

Quick update - Got the ship flipped back around. Finished up most of the cockpit underside greeblies - waiting on another kit to finish that area up. In the meantime, got the first base coat of primer/paint down. There will be another layer of white to go over this one, this was just an initial light primer coat. I'll probably get the trench walls in soon as well. Also got started on plating of the starboard docking walls and had a bit of fun with the plating deformation (including the cockpit underside). It's pretty cool to see it all now in a single color. The middle jawbox and the turret platform are not yet glued down (I'll test the painting/weathering on them before bonding down.

Cockpit underside with final gray primer (minus a couple parts)
    White1.jpg White2.jpg
    White3.jpg

White Primer down
    White17.jpg White15.jpg
    White13.jpg White11.jpg

Starting the damaged hull wall behind cockpit, and deformed plating.

White5.jpg White4.jpg

A few more with the detail areas
    White18.jpg White23.jpg
    White26.jpg White25.jpg
    White23=4.jpg White19.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  32. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

And a few more of the whole ship underside at different angles. Can't wait to start painting the panels and the weathering!

White31.jpg White30.jpg
    White32.jpg White33.jpg

White33a.jpg White33b.jpg

Flipped to show the 'proper underside' orientation
    White34.jpg White34b.jpg

rbeach84, Axlotl, bigpetr and 12 others like this.
  33. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Getting there.....so close.....

34. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh my... :)

Dan

35. satyatriabadi

satyatriabadi New Member

Beautiful ! a sight for sore eyes, ...

36. joberg

joberg Master Member

Epic in every ways:cool:thumbsup

37. Firefox3D

Firefox3D Well-Known Member

Second that, a mountain of awesomeness :thumbsup

38. ChrisGFX

ChrisGFX New Member

awesome ... just awesome!

greeble_gremlin likes this.
  39. joez2391

joez2391 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks awesome!

40. bighead5

bighead5 Active Member

What he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

42. fragarock

fragarock New Member

This is truly fascinating. To see the step by step process to bring this from raw shapes into a fully realized model is invaluable and inspiring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

43. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

OMG! Beautiful!

44. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks again guys!! Here's the latest. Started off masking the underside and starting to shoot some of the panels. The contrast looks high right now, but they will blend together as I add the multiple filters and thinned layers. If they started off too light, then they'd blend in, easier this way to soften them up. I started trying out the initial filter/weathering on the left half of the underside engine deck plate. That's only about half the filters, still needs the thinned gray and dirtiness added, but you can see how just the light filter knocks down the contrast compared to the other side.
    Then, to make the painting easier, got help from a buddy and we setup the model on an engine stand (Lee Malone did this on his gorgeous 5 footer, and it makes things so easier. I can rotate it 180 degrees to make access easier from a number of angles.
    Lastly, a couple shots standing next to it to get a sense of size and scale of this monster! So friggin' big!
    Thanks for looking!
    Sean

Masking the lower hull for the light gray panels (red panels already painted down)

IMG_2397 (2).JPG IMG_2399 (2).JPG

Starting the gray

IMG_2403 (2).JPG

Model on engine stand for easier access/rotation.

IMG_2411 (2).JPG IMG_2410 (2).JPG

Initial weathering on the engine plate (notice the darker panels on the far right without the first 'filter'.

IMG_2476 (2).JPG IMG_2475 (2).JPG
    IMG_2474 (2).JPG IMG_2468 (2).JPG

Here's the top and bottom for scale

IMG_2487 (2).JPG IMG_2463 (2).JPG

And the beginning of the base coat on the front half of the top is where we are at.

IMG_2499 (2).JPG IMG_2497 (2).JPG

45. ShowCraft

ShowCraft Well-Known Member

Uncompromising perfection.

46. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Looking really good. Where do you paint it at?
    I have to take whatever I'm working on outside. Just primed a 2 foot model after dusting it all off. Still had little pieces of dust here and there.

47. alexa0ne

alexa0ne Jr Member

That really looks like the original one, your creation is look so cool.

48. joberg

joberg Master Member

The best MF ever built (besides the one at ILM;)) Pro-Job all the way!!

Axlotl likes this.
  49. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

What a fantastic build! Your Falcon is really looking good! Amazing build and you're making quick work of it.
    No wonder I'm having trouble finding models, they're all on your shelves. :)

50. Rats

Rats Sr Member

Lol, my thoughts exactly!
    Bloody amazing build Sean. Looks incredible.