5 Foot Falcon Replica - ANH

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by t2sides, Oct 9, 2017.

1. ixtore

ixtore Active Member

Astounding build. Amazing skill. Mind blowing.
    How much does she weigh in at?

2. MangyDog

MangyDog Active Member

I think i may have slightly wet myself to the shear detail and scale :eek:

3. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

LOL! Thanks guys!
    ixtore, I don't know how exactly much it weighs yet - but it feels quite heavy, maybe around 80lbs?

Here's a quick update.
    1st few show the Hummel Part that goes on the engine upper and lower 'decks'. I originally took the two Hummel parts, glued them together and cast them. As I was getting ready to paint them, I realized the original had a pretty good little gap between them. So, I was able to break the original parts back to their two halves. I then molded and cast them up, put a .020 piece of styrene between them, and assembled each individually. Then, to match the original, they required a good chunk of the bottom be chopped off, to get the proper size/height to fit into the 88mm parts. It was a fun exercise getting those levels of details closer to the original.
    2nd set show the additional kit parts that are being added to the front port body wall. This adds back in several parts that were on the original during filming of ANH. (Still need to add Hasegawa Sherman part). Then a quick shot of primer, then the last pics show the parts applied to the port wall. Once the weathering gets painted in here, it's gonna start looking really close.
    Thanks,
    Sean

Hummel1.jpg Hummel2.jpg
    Hummel3.jpg
    PortWall1.jpg PortWall2.jpg
    PortWall3.jpg PortWall4.jpg
    PortWall5.jpg

4. Jkirkon

Jkirkon Well-Known Member

This is breathtaking!!

It’s one thing to build from a kit...it’s another thing to painstakingly scratch build a model of this scale, and amazing detail. I can’t begin to tell you how impressive this model is.

5. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

It's beautiful... :cry

6. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

I second that.

And next up should be the double version......The 10 footer.....

7. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Sean,.... * son just....*! You're nailing this! Do the ANH SD next! Bring it home! Here if you need some help, you probably don't. But if you do just ask!

8. joberg

joberg Master Member

Unbelievable build! And the patience is up there too:cool A million WOWS to you and your skills:thumbsup

9. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I'm loving watching this progress. Hope to get to see it in person again when it's done.

And... as far as Star Destroyers go - go for all 8 feet of the ESB version! I'd buy that for a dollar... :)

Dan

10. nkg

nkg Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Super cool! Looks great seeing stuff like the McLaren triangular part that's now missing from the Falcon. I'm curious about the dome-shaped piece that covers where the holes for the carrying struts go, though.

- nkg

11. faustus100

faustus100 Well-Known Member

Amazing build. Do you plan to light it?

12. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks again Fellas!!
    Faustus100 - Yes, I think the beginning of this thread shows the light tests. It's going to be exactly the same lighting look/diffuser as the original filming miniature.
    NKG - Thanks, that part, thanks to Tsophika, is the Nichimo Elefant.
    Dan - You guys are welcome ANYTIME again, love having you over!
    Jamie! Much appreciated - and yes, I've already got the Star Destroyer started - just stalled it for this baby! Looking forward to restarting and finishing that replica!

Here's a quick paint update. I'm still working through 'experimenting', and right now, just the rear damage quadrant is getting close. I still have lighter filters to apply, much more weathering, and techniques to tone down the contrasts and bring it all together. But, at least you can see how it's starting to come together. :)

Working through the battle damage weathering. This is the first layer.
    UnderPaint5.jpg
    UnderPaint6.jpg
    UnderPaint4.JPG

A wider shot with most of the area still working on to blend together and weather panels.
    UnderPaint1.jpg

The right side with just a few streaks, but haven't done much over there yet.

UnderPaint2.jpg

And the full shot, the entire upper side needs filters/layers. Also tested out dirtying up one of the maintenance pits, this will get refined to bring it a little 'cleaner' and contrasty.
    UnderPaint3.jpg

nkg, Rick Deckard, peza and 6 others like this.
  13. faustus100

Loops Amazing! How much so you recon she weighs?

14. joberg

joberg Master Member

Wow all around...this is a jewel of a model (even with all of the wear and tear)!!:thumbsup

15. eagle1

eagle1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mad paint skills going on there Sean, a sight to see!.
    You feeling like Joe right now I bet, masking tape & scissors in hand!. So close to the end, think I felt you steamroll me back there along with your speed haha.
    Awesome update as always!.

Stu

16. faustus100

Man! I'd give anything for a pair of those seats!

17. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks much everyone!!
    Faustus100, I think I mentioned this before, but she 'might' be around 60-80 lbs at this point?

Another brief paint update today. Making progress on the bottom rear half. Still not done in this area, quite a bit more paint 'speckling' to do, and some more filters and oily areas, then it'll be on to refining the top half of the underside. The photos' colors are not quite as warm and show more contrast than in person, but you get the idea. One interesting thing that really shows off here, the gun platform and the jawbox are still completely base coat paint. You can see how adding the weathering and filters tone down the pure off-white, and makes the final base color that nice warm grime/gray color. It's really neat to see the color transform like that. Also added some of the under hull damage areas.

URP1.jpg
    URP2.jpg
    URP3.jpg
    URP4.jpg
    URP4a.jpg
    URP5.jpg

URP6.jpg

maruska, kokkari, rbeach84 and 11 others like this.
  18. JamesM242

JamesM242 Member

Thanks for sharing! I love watching the details of your build.

19. blackeagles

blackeagles New Member

Hello,
    very very nice.
    But I have questions,
    what is the internal diameter, because 3inch it is impossible for me to put the greeblies, it's too small...
    And what the ID's part tank.
    Thank you in advance for your answer info.jpg

20. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some of you guys are just so talented.

Fun to watch!

21. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Hi Blackeagles,
    The internal diameter is closer to 3.5", the opening is 3". This will give you the extra diameter you need to make the greeblies fit!
    Thanks
    Sean

22. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Hello,
    Sorry for the delay in updates. Been busy with life and work, but getting progress in between.
    Finished up the engine deck plate with the beautiful 3D printed Engine inserts and vintage KoolShade that covers them very much like the original. Also built up the Radar Dish, and got some more sidewall progress done.

First up the Engine Deck - HUGE Thanks to Maruska, he did an Incredible job printing up the 'custom' engine fans, and they fit beautifully in the very well formed engine vent structures, which were mastered by Eagle1, couldn't have made this deck so accurately without their help!

Here are the Engine Fans just mocked up in place (later centered)

DeckE1.jpg

Here are all the Fans staged in place to ensure fit

DeckE2.jpg

This was cool to see the fans through the Vents from this angle just like the filming miniature.

DeckE3.jpg
    And all the KoolShade installed with the various 'bent/damaged' vents.

DeckE4.jpg

And here's a wide view of the overall rear with the engine plate installed. The whole Engine Plate comes off/on as needed with flush mount screws.

Attached Files:

Mike J., robn1, dirtydave and 4 others like this.
  23. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Next up is the Dish Assembly - It is elegantly designed by Maruska, including hardware in place that allows the base to rotate independently and the dish to rotate to any position desired. Exactly as the Original Filming Miniature. The first set of pics are the most of the raw original kit parts installed on primer, then the black primer, then the base white coat. I have a few additional parts (Vintage Shinano) that still need to go down, and this assembly will soon get the proper weathering and filters. However, as you will see, I completed the Dish with all the final weathering/scratches and finish, so it's nice and dirtied up compared to the A-Frame and Base.

This first one shows the
    Dish50.jpg Dish51.jpg Dish52.jpg Dish53.jpg Dish54.jpg Dish55.jpg Dish56.jpg Dish57.jpg
    The Primer added
    Dish58.jpg

Rear of the weathered dish, base still waiting for finish.

Dish59.jpg

24. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

A few more of the dish setup.

Dish60.jpg Dish61.jpg Dish62.jpg Dish63.jpg
    These pics are the dish temporarily installed (iPhone pics come out way 'colder' than actual color). The color Hue is much warmer in person, and there is still quite a bit of finish painting, weathering and filters to add.

Dish64.jpg Dish65.jpg Dish66.jpg

Dish67.jpg Dish68.jpg

Mike J., maruska, robn1 and 6 others like this.
  25. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

And lastly here's a few overall pics and the starboard side wall with several 'missing' parts on the current model added back in to reflect how this model looked for filming in 1976.

Here's a pic of the underside, it's about 90% complete

Full1.jpg Progress1.jpg Progress2.jpg Side1.jpg Side2.jpg
    Here's where we are at today. The Dish is a good example of what the technique of final finish/weathering that still needs to be applied to the entire model will look like.
    Progress3.jpg

nkg, Mike J., kokkari and 14 others like this.
  26. nkg

nkg Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bloody spectacular!

27. David3

David3 Active Member

Amazing and inspiring, t2sides.
    If there was a 2year long video of your build on this i'd savour every minute of it!
    Just a masterpiece!

28. stevielewis

stevielewis Well-Known Member

Spectacular!

29. SteveStarkiller

SteveStarkiller Sr Member

absolutely astounding, a dream come true!

30. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Oh My...

31. vectorzero

vectorzero Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So beautiful. (Wipes tear from eye.)

32. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

I love it

J

33. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks !! Pulling back the curtain a bit, below are a few screen grabs that give examples of Andre's (VFXSup64) amazing Photogrammetry Solves (i.e. Mad Skills) he created that translated to Maruska's 3D model for printing. (You can Reference VFXSup64's incredible journey here: SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build)

IMG_9695.jpg IMG_9696.jpg IMG_9697.jpg IMG_9698.jpg

Attached Files:

kokkari and maruska like this.
  34. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of the best things I did while painting my Dago was let it sit. This gives you a fresh set of eyes to come back in and say, 'Hey here are some parts that need a little more/less color/shading/weathering/scraping/etc. With that said, its coming along wonderfully

35. faustus100

What is this part? Looks great,but I don't remember it being on the original model. I have a totally different one
    Screenshot_2018-12-06-18-36-59_zpszawxvaya.jpg

36. faustus100

This is what I have. Is my reference wrong?
    Screenshot_2018-12-07-11-14-39_zpshflfqnj9.png

37. David3

David3 Active Member

Don't know the part but it is there on the opposite side if you flip the rectenna
    p65b.jpg P6130165_JPG.jpg

greeble_gremlin likes this.
  38. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Hey Faustus,
    David3 is exactly right. The common reference used for the dish are the various pics as the model is today, not in the actual configuration when they filmed A New Hope. You can reference some of the "Chronicles" pics (as in the Black and White David3 inserted above) and various other vintage refs that show what you see today is both the Dish itself is rotated opposite of as-filmed, as well as the base itself. Notice the Harrier part in the base is 180 degrees out from what you see in current pics. So if you are going for the 'original' look, you'd want to flip your dish and rotate the base and orientation would match the pics of how I'm constructing mine. As for the parts, should be in the same Stug kit as the others on the dish.
    -Sean

greeble_gremlin, nkg and swgeek like this.
  39. faustus100

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info. Since mine is based o ne the ESB ship,I think I'll keep it that way lol.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  40. joberg

joberg Master Member

A thousand WOWS:cool:!!! I'm gobsmacked!

41. greeble_gremlin

greeble_gremlin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice Updates!
    Great work as usual Sean!
    If I may ask, the Radar Dish base & A-Frame parts, were the machined or 3D Printed?
    If 3D printed do you know what type of 3D printer & material was used?
    Sorry for the pesky questions,
    Very interesting work

42. maruska

maruska Well-Known Member

The dish base parts were printed on a 3DSystems sPro 60 HD-HS in SLS Nylon.

belleauwood likes this.
  43. greeble_gremlin

greeble_gremlin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks! Joshua,
    I use 3D systems printers a lot, though I haven't ha anything grown in SLS in a long time.
    It makes sense though, for suck large parts.

44. maruska

maruska Well-Known Member

It was more for strength than anything. The forms are simple and easily sanded. Much more detail, and SLS probably wouldn’t have been our choice...

ffoeg likes this.
  45. blastmaster

blastmaster Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic, words cannot do any justice, Love all of this!!!

46. motionminded

motionminded Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So inspiring this build!

47. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

What would be really cool is to be able to get a pic with this actually next to the real model. Be hard to tell the difference.

48. faustus100

I don't think it would be that hard. T2sides is in better shape. No missing greeblies either

maruska likes this.
  49. faustus100

hey could you help me with these 3 ids they fell off the original and I see you have them. Thanks loads!
    Screenshot_2019-01-10-01-45-46.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  50. Rick Deckard

Rick Deckard Well-Known Member

Hey Wayne:

Parts 2 and 3 is just one piece and it is from the Bandai 1/48 Schwimmwagen... I don't know the part# 1...