5 Foot Falcon Replica - ANH

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by t2sides, Oct 9, 2017.

1. faustus100

faustus100 Well-Known Member

Thanks Doc!
    I got the info already. Luckily I already have the parts lol.

2. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Hello All,
    Just a brief update - LOTS of time/work on all the nuances of weathering/detailing still ongoing, way more time than I expected. Still have a bunch of the little black squares (many different sizes) to airbrush down, need to install the port side docking ring, and finish up the cockpit. But most of the rust, washes and such are almost done. c1.jpg c2.jpg c3.jpg c4.jpg c5.jpg c6.jpg c7.jpg c8.jpg c9.jpg c10.jpg c11.jpg
    Lastly will be some final 'filters/oversprays', then the decals go on. Can see the finish line, but it's still a ways out.

3. David3

David3 Active Member

my god, man!!
    can't tell you how stunning this is. even the weathering is perfect!
    Bandai might have its Perfect Grade but this is RPF Supermodel status! ;)

Carnet likes this.
  4. faustus100

faustus100 Well-Known Member

Better than the original. And I don't say that lightly!

maruska likes this.
  5. David3

David3 Active Member

I'd have to agree!

6. MangyDog

MangyDog Well-Known Member

Me and my still boxed perfect grade are crying........ Just wow

7. Sourdoh

Sourdoh Sr Member

A Replica in the truest sense. Using the exact (mostly) parts, etc. Wonderful!

8. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Even more stunning in person. ;-)

All these little weathering details are really making this pop! Very inspiring and it’s motivating me to get cracking on the couple models I have in the wings.

Thanks for the great update details!

Dan

9. stevielewis

stevielewis Well-Known Member

Wow! Just Wow!

10. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

When I saw her with just the primer on, I have to be honest, I was worried that such a beautiful model could easily be ruined if the paint job wasn't up to scratch. I had no need to worry, your painting skills are top notch, as faustus said a few posts back, she looks better than the original

J

11. vectorzero

vectorzero Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is absolutely incredible work. So impressive.

12. jake88

jake88 Sr Member

I would swear thats the studio 5 footer! Exellent!

13. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

THANKS a Bunch everyone!! Very humbling feedback, really kind! I can't wait to share the final pics with the decals on and final finish. I'm trying my best to stay true to the Original '77 version. Getting close in many areas.
    Here's a few more closeups, still needs some additional work in areas, but close. I really enjoyed doing the small 'damage' areas along the mandible truck frame edges.
    And... If you were wondering, the radar dish is just set temporarily in place there, thus the 'crooked' look.

Inner1.jpg Inner2.jpg Lside.jpg Rightside1.jpg Rightside2.jpg

14. greeble_gremlin

greeble_gremlin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! You can not tell it from the real thing!

15. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

That is probably the coolest thing I have ever seen! Three gold stars!!

16. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

No words!!!

17. JamesM242

JamesM242 Member

I have to echo all the feedback: just amazing! Thanks for sharing the build and the great pics - it has been a blast following your progress.

18. fragarock

fragarock New Member

This should go on tour around the country so we can all see it in person. I'd pay to see it up close.

DiggsBarklightr likes this.
  19. Ollois

Ollois Active Member

Beyond awesome, love it!

20. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How are you going to display it once it's done?

SB

21. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Meh.

Just kidding. Home Run out of the park man!!!! Such a joy to see this come to life.

23. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks much all!! Should have some pics with Decals in a few days. Happy to discover I have a LOT of the decals needed, some old ones absolutely crumbled or rolled back off, but am working through it and making great progress. Amazing what just some decals do to finish this thing off and start making it really come to life.

stevielewis, ffoeg and David3 like this.
  24. joberg

joberg Master Member

Is it just me, but every time I see those pics, I have goose-bumps the size of grapes on my body:eek:;):cool::cool::cool::cool:(y)(y)(y)(y)

Vacformedhero likes this.
  25. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Looking at these pics, i actually, involuntarily, let loose the longest line of expletives ever......

The most incredible build i've EVER seen!

Rich

26. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

amazing modelling and painting skills, as jaitea mentioned, at the primer stage it looked stunning, I would have frozen then for 6 months afraid to touch it. Stunning. And thank you again for sharing the progress, a real mile marker for other 5 foot builds

27. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks very much Everyone!! Much appreciated!! Very kind comments all around.
    Here's a few updates with the decals applied. Almost all needed decals are now down on the top/sides. The sharp eyed crowd out there will see just a couple missing that I'm working on getting. Overall, it's awesome to see some of the original decals restored here. HUGE Thanks to Craig Underwood and Mike Reis for hooking me up with some key decals! Still have a bunch to do on the underside, but she's getting there.

Decal1.jpg Decal2.jpg Decal3.jpg Decal4.jpg Decal5.jpg Decal6.jpg Decal7.jpg Decal8.jpg Decal9.jpg Decal10.jpg

nkg, Treadwell, stonky and 7 others like this.
  28. David3

David3 Active Member

speechless..

would love to see her next to the old girl. think i'd love them both equally

kokkari likes this.
  29. akumazeto

akumazeto Well-Known Member

Fantastic!!!

30. 3DImpact

It's stunning how the smaller details just add to the effect - it's like there's an inverse correlation between the scale of added detail and the impact of the overall effect in making the model 'pop' and come to life.

Are you going to try to add the modelers' initials in the various hidden places as well?

Dan

31. ChrisGFX

ChrisGFX New Member

jaw dropping! awesome!

32. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

Hands-down the most beautiful reproduction I have ever seen!!!! Just fantastic work!

33. stevielewis

stevielewis Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Just beautiful!

34. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Beautiful

J

35. David3

David3 Active Member

Superb paintjob, t2sides.
    I was just wondering about your base coat, you mentioned way back that you were thinking of using AS-20, did you go with that?
    I like that shade of red you went with too

36. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks very much! It's amazing how much detailing is still left to do (small weathering and such), and I still have to get back to the bottom, add all the little rectangles and more washes and weathering, and all the decals under there....Every time I think I'm almost done... More and more...

Like these? :) Dry2.jpg

Dry1.jpg

I put mine down where Joe Johnston's went, and Mary Lind's spot has my Wife! (She's a Saint, so she deserves this spot!)

I plan to replace the original model builder names with a few folks that have been key to this project.

nkg, stevielewis, moffeaton and 5 others like this.
  37. 3DImpact

Oh, love it! Even better than I was thinking with the original ILMers. Very fitting! :)

Dan

38. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks David3!
    Nope, AS-20 was too 'cool' of a color at this scale. Believe it or not, what really seemed to nail it was after the black primer, laying down Rustoleum Automotive Sandable Primer (This one is a warm white, other Rustoleum/Primers are too cool also). This stuff goes down very nicely and smooth, and if it does get rough (dry before contact), easily sands down without blemish. But, it's a really good base off-white.
    The KEY to getting the overall warm color though is creating transparent layers, primarily lightly coating everything with Floquil Grime, heavier and lighter in appropriate places, then accenting with some other 'filters', like thinned down grays/gray-browns, etc. The red was using Floquil Reds, but needing to 'customize' them until the right hue was achieved. When this thing is all done, I'll get it professionally photographed, as the iPhone pics are always way off than the actual color of my replica.
    Hope this helps.
    upload_2019-2-11_20-38-31.png

39. David3

David3 Active Member

Yes, thankyou, cheers!
    It looks that good i thought you might have used ArchiveX.
    I have 2 Falcons on my bench, the bandai & deago. The bandai is such a phenomenal replica of the 5' I want to do it justice with the best paint job i can give it, the rustoleum however might not be the best at 1/72 scale so will have to experiment. Although I wanted to convert the deago as much as i could to a 1/2scale 5' I realize now, unfortunately, it will never be that, but its been so much fun to work on I have other plans in mind now for that baby.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  40. Duncanator

Duncanator Well-Known Member

Really beautiful work. The dedication to detail and research is staggering!