Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

Scanner arrived safe and sound -- thanks Cantina Dude, and thanks for your help along the way.

We are back in the saddle and riding again. Check your Box folders for updates, and I'll post here as we go.

Nichimo 1-35 Jagdtiger Upper Hull A pt 125 snip.jpg

Very cool.

I wouldn't be able to help with scanning but I could help with recreating the parts in CAD (Fusion 360 & Blender w/nice add-ons). I've already been doing that since I'm at a place in my life I can start with these projects again. Just don't have the kits I used to have. I have some and recently repurchased some of the Y-Wing donors. Also have 2 3D printers now (Ender 3 pro and Anycubic Photon).

Your patience is now paying off...

Thanks to a little help from my friends, there are now 89 new, perfect, flawless STL files of Star Wars Greeblies in the folders.

How perfect?

Micrometer perfect:

1644704494003.png

Thanks for your patience. And thanks to the friends who've made this happen.

You really do have to look at the incredible work being done now by Robert Crowley and Marcel Leuthold from the SciFi Studio Scale Modeler Team. They are not just "scanning" original greeblies and posting reasonable STLs from which to build an impressionist space ship. They are taking the scans, and then using their CAD skills to REBUILD the files, resulting in files that are as good or better than the original kits.

Yamato 1-500 Funnel Half STL scan.jpg

What this means is that when you print it out, you actually know that the STL file is perfect, and that ANY imperfection you get is the result of your printer, or your resin, or heatbed, or some other technical issue on the production side of the equation, and not the result of a poorly scanned original, or poorly "meshed" final copy.

This is the way.

Huh? The above part is part of the X-wing cannon assembly, amongst other things... I don't remember it on the Y - but its totally possible.

Jedi Dade

Ah Yes... The same part is on the X-wing on the laser cannons, and IIRC as part of the Engines as well just like you've pictured above... but I did not remember it being on the Y... learned something new :)

Jedi Dade

There's no such thing as an "ugly duckling stage" of the Y-wing: all stages are beautiful, and this one is no exception -- looks terrific!
That's a mighty high compliment coming from someone like you Read, thank you! I can't hold a candle to any one of the numbers of amazing modelers and the talent, research, precision, patience, determination, detail and skill they display with their art however. :)

The collection is getting so good it's bad...

We've actually lost/forgotten/misplaced the ID of this piece, which is now in the library. Can anyone tell us what it is, or what kit it's from? It's from a confirmed donor kit for the Y-Wing, but I cannot for the life of me recall which kit it came from.

1645852176557.png

Thanks!

Beautiful work, and thanks guys for all the hard work on this! Looking forward to the Falcon bits!!!

Dan

Last edited:
The collection is getting so good it's bad...

We've actually lost/forgotten/misplaced the ID of this piece, which is now in the library. Can anyone tell us what it is, or what kit it's from? It's from a confirmed donor kit for the Y-Wing, but I cannot for the life of me recall which kit it came from.

View attachment 1550377

Thanks!

This is from 1/600 USS Saratoga Aircraft Carrier

Cheers

I uploaded a few more but named a few incorrectly (Aurora Sealab folder). I am hopeful someone can rename the file as it seems I am not able to from my end.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back