Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

Please specify which "whole kit" you'd like to see uploaded first that doesn't already exist in 3D form. The Sealab and 8rad are done.

I'm thinking Bandai 1/48 Panther G or else Tamiya 1/12 Yardley McLaren. But your responses will also help generate a hierarchy of which kits keep getting used over and over again on the ILM studio scale world, and while I know the answer is "all of them" I'd be keen to know what your own preferred hierarchy is.

My other top three are:
Tamiya 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen Ausf.M/N
Airfix OO Harrow Locomotive
Airfix 1/72 Handley Page

Please specify which "whole kit" you'd like to see uploaded first that doesn't already exist in 3D form. The Sealab and 8rad are done.

I'm thinking Bandai 1/48 Panther G or else Tamiya 1/12 Yardley McLaren. But your responses will also help generate a hierarchy of which kits keep getting used over and over again on the ILM studio scale world, and while I know the answer is "all of them" I'd be keen to know what your own preferred hierarchy is.

My other top three are:
Tamiya 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen Ausf.M/N
Airfix OO Harrow Locomotive
Airfix 1/72 Handley Page

Panther G
Handley Page

I guess another way of asking this question is simply this: with inflation at 8.5% and the cost of everything skyrocketing, which model kits are you getting "priced out of the market on" most and thus would most benefit from having complete 3D files available?

My own answer is the Bandai 1/48 Panther G, which was available for 50 bucks or less just a few years ago, and now hardly ever goes for less than 100. And same for the Tamiya 1/12 F1 cars, whose price point is now rarely below 150-175.

In case anyone was on the fence for this project... here are a few I just printed. Lots of duplicates. I was doing a test and I filled the plate .
Printer used is the Elegoo Saturn.

Attachments

• 20220927_200125.jpg
    20220927_200125.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 196
If you are stateside (continental USA) and want to help out with the scanning, the 5-Foot Falcon greeblies are next up, PM me and let me know if you'd like to volunteer -- payment is in the form of either a free set of castings or free access to the scan run. You'd need to have 3D watertight stl file creation skills to be useful, as the scans themselves will not get us there, as I've learned the hard way.

Hello Falconers,

My current project are the sidewalls for the 5' foot Falcon. Digital of course. Because I too see the need for a digital library of greebles. Although, much of what I've done may have just been a duplication of effort. When I started a couple years ago, I scoured the internet for as many, already made greebles as I could. Surprisingly, I found quite a few. My 2nd method for finding the right greebles is to find a digital version of a model and scavenge the part that I need from it. An example would be the kubelwagen. I found several good models on Thingiverse. So I simply sliced off the bonnet of one of them, and viola, I have another piece of the engine section for the 5' footer.

My 3rd method is to simply create them from scratch. And I've created a good number of them.

I'd like to compare notes and see what's in the archive and see what I have and already done or not.

Question: is it a complete collection yet?

Hello Falconers,

My current project are the sidewalls for the 5' foot Falcon. Digital of course. Because I too see the need for a digital library of greebles. Although, much of what I've done may have just been a duplication of effort. When I started a couple years ago, I scoured the internet for as many, already made greebles as I could. Surprisingly, I found quite a few. My 2nd method for finding the right greebles is to find a digital version of a model and scavenge the part that I need from it. An example would be the kubelwagen. I found several good models on Thingiverse. So I simply sliced off the bonnet of one of them, and viola, I have another piece of the engine section for the 5' footer.

My 3rd method is to simply create them from scratch. And I've created a good number of them.

I'd like to compare notes and see what's in the archive and see what I have and already done or not.

Question: is it a complete collection yet?

And just to be clear: ALL of my greebles are for the 5' foot Falcon and not the 32".

I'm with others and curious where things stand, and to make it about me- with limited resources (ie cash) I've been wondering if there is a list of the currently scanned/processed parts that folks have access to in the work so far? Debating the timing of buying in and what tier, that sort of thing. So trying to sort out if 'now' is a good time or if I can or should wait. Though obviously that doesn't help fund and move things forward, I have to be smart with the $$ right now. Thanks.

Clerval, I understand being smart with your money. I don't know what others are doing, but I'm building up my own archive of Millennium Falcon specific greebles. Of course I'm also using them on the Galactica and Moonbase Alpha,

I'm not scanning mine. I'm building a large number of them from scratch. In the image are the few from the Ferrari 312B, which are some of the most sought after greebles.

This is maybe a tenth of my full collection. A few of them are available on Thingiverse: Greeble Collection01 by Savidge420

Take a close look at those.

Would you like to see more?
Kit Parts02B.jpg

Thanks for sharing Savidge, looks good! Would love to see more :)
Btw, was helping to look for that part in the middle right for a while now, fell off on the original model from the port outer mandible. Your pic made me realize it’s Tamiya Ferrari 312B, E2! So double thanks!!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Savidge, looks good! Would love to see more :)
Btw, was helping to look for that part in the middle right for a while now, fell off on the original model from the port outer mandible. Your pic made me realize it’s Tamiya Ferrari 312B, E2! So double thanks!!
The part you're looking for is on Thingiverse too:

I also have a version of this piece.

Kit Part.jpg
Did you look what I posted to Thingiverse?

Savidge, I've done the same as needed for a number of other projects over the last 20 years or so. But I don't tackle kits at a time, I go after what I need for a project, so it's a few pieces from a large number of kits for a range of subjects, and part of the reason that I'm curious to see what's been done. Also, a hard drive failure...

Am guessing by the drop-off that things may be in limbo for various reasons, probably communicated to the folks who had bought a tier and are able to chat back and forth in other locations for the project, just not here. Here's a shot of something I did a few months back, the project is hinted at in the image. This was probably half of what was needed for the work. Yeah, right now even $100 is a lot for me.
surak-jpg.1621085

If you are stateside (continental USA) and want to help out with the scanning, the 5-Foot Falcon greeblies are next up, PM me and let me know if you'd like to volunteer -- payment is in the form of either a free set of castings or free access to the scan run. You'd need to have 3D watertight stl file creation skills to be useful, as the scans themselves will not get us there, as I've learned the hard way.
The project exist. Need help from reliable and 3d talented person or persons.
I would be willing to be the one scanning the parts. However, I would need help in cleanup of the files as I'm a newbie when it comes to that area of the project.
Or I do it all and learn along the way. Atleast the project would be going forward.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, volunteers???

The project exist. Need help from reliable and 3d talented person or persons.
I would be willing to be the one scanning the parts. However, I would need help in cleanup of the files as I'm a newbie when it comes to that area of the project.
Or I do it all and learn along the way. Atleast the project would be going forward.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, volunteers???
That was from October, I PMed a couple of times back and forth about doing both, but year end and new year got very hectic for him, and there's been no word on how the project may play out in the near future.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back