Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As the hobby gets older, and the original confirmed donor kits get scarcer, and thus more expensive, the ONLY solution to this growing problem, and to this hobby having a future in which future generations can make these incredibly detailed, enjoyable, and massively complex builds, is to digitize the entire library of original greeblies so that 3D prints can be made.

To that end, I am offering a Limited Run, "Help Me to Help You" offering, limited to a very limited number of people. I own 160+ original issue, original boxings of the confirmed donor kits used by ILM in 1975-76 to make all the Star Wars models. I have built and/or will be building a Y-Wing, Millennium Falcon (5-footer), Turbo Laser Turret Cannon, X-Wing, Sand Crawler, Land Speeder, Snow Speeder, and TIE Fighter, and modifying the DeAgostini Millennium Falcon. I cannot afford the $1600 scanner required to digitize all my kits. If you help me acquire it, then I will repay you with digital scans of everything I have, in the following tiers:

TIER 1
You donate $5 to "Support the Cause" because you are already in possession of all that you need, and you have money to donate to a good cause for the RPF community. For this tier, you get exactly nothing in return except my profound gratitude.

TIER 2
$10 Donation -- You will receive ONE digital scan of the ONE greeblie that's been eluding you all these years, and that you keep getting skunked on every 3 years when its confirmed donor source kit does come up on Ebay.

TIER 3
$20 Donation -- You will receive ONE complete digital scan of the one complete Kit that you would like a digital scan of, but do not possess.

TIER 4
$50 Donation -- You get digital scans of as many greeblies as you want/need within a range of 5 kits, your choice of kits, and within that, you choice of whether it is an individual greeblie scan or a complete kit scan.

TIER 5
$100 Donation -- You will receive a digital scan of every model piece I have that is known to be used on ILM models. (N.B. - This does not mean a complete scan of every complete kit, but a scan of every "known" greeblie from within those kits)

TIER 6
$150 Donation - You will receive a digital scan of every model piece I have that is known to be used on ILM models PLUS the following:
A.) Digital scans of all future models I acquire that I do not yet have (which is a shrinking number, of less than 50 kits by my estimation).

TIER 7
$200 Donation - You will receive a digital scan of every model piece I have that is known to be used on ILM models PLUS the following:
A: Digital scans of all future models I acquire that I do not yet have (which is a small and shrinking number, of less than 50 kits).
B) Digital scans of all major "subassemblies" so you can print them off as one-piece instead of hundreds. (This saves you massive amounts of build time, and/or is also considered "cheating" depending on how "old-school" and "purist" you are about your build philosophy)

TIER 8
$250 donations - You will receive a digital scan of every greeblie I have that is known to be used on ILM models PLUS the following:
A.) Digital scans of all major "subassemblies" so you can print them off as one-piece instead of hundreds
B.) Digital scans of all future models I acquire that I do not yet have (which is a small and shrinking number, of less than 50 kits)
C.) Custom scan requests taken of anything you want scanned from these kits that a.) I may not have already been scanned b/c they aren't part of a build I'm planning on doing or b.) they are a kit part that you need for a non-Star Wars related model that you are working on but that I simply do not have in my catalog of files.
D.) This highest tier is both the most expensive and the rarest, as it will Disappear as soon as the purchase price of the scanner is hit. (The other tiers will be offered on an on-going basis to subsidize the Falcon project.)

My experience, so far, has been that some are hoarders (of digital or real greeblies), some are sharers (but don't have all the kits), and most are like me, totally in love with the whole thing but not rich enough to buy all the tools and kits they want to build everything they want.

I'm about to build the 5-footer Millennium Falcon, probably the "mother lode" of greeblies and "ultimate dream" of every studio scale Star Wars builder, and this typically costs 40-50k to build using originals, so consider this investment as the wise man's way to a.) build it for a LOT cheaper and, if you're married, b.) staying out of the dog house for the indefinite future in the "You-spent-HOW-MUCH-on-that-thing?" category!

The scanner I am planning on getting is accurate to within 0.10mm of resolution, which should be good enough for all applications.

PM me for payment details. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE indicate TIER 1, TIER 2, etc when you are communicating, in each and every PM, and in each and every Paypal transaction, so that I can keep it all clear as to who wanted/ordered/paid for what.

Cheers,

SK

HighlanderFX

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Question, if I contribute an amount like tier 8, but for some unknown reason the amount for the scanner is never reached, what happens?

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You get a full refund if the amount for the scanner is never reached. But don't worry, we're already getting close, so really: it's first-come, first-served on the Tier 8 offer.

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Contributors welcome! Would be happy to trade "like for like" for anyone contributing already done raw scans converted to .stl files in 1:1 scale that are immediately usable/downloadable/sendable/printable to the Formlabs2 Resin Printer. This will both save time and make it more of a community effort, which would always be appreciated. But, n.b., note that these scans need to be "super-accurate" equal to or better than 0.10mm tolerances, preferably at the 0.05mm level.

dr_slurpee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yes, I already have some of the original donor kits for the 32" Falcon, but not all. What I "plan" on getting are the ones not to build it from scratch, but to modify the DeAgostini model to make it look more screen-accurate.

I’m hoping to be able to upgrade a Hasbro 29” Falcon so it’s mainly the side walls and pits, that’s why I was curious.

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
dr_slurpee,

If you want to PM me a list of kits you know you need, I can tell you whether I a.) have them or b.) am planning on acquiring them. I don't have a Hasbro 29" Falcon, and no plans to get one, but if there is overlap, or if the kits I do have can help, happy to help.

Jedi Dade

Master Member
Well if you have the parts sized scanned - resizing them for the 29 Hasbro falcon should be fairly simple... says the person that has never done it :p

I sent a PM as well - I am very interested.

Jedi Dade

newmagrathea

Sr Member
I’m hoping to be able to upgrade a Hasbro 29” Falcon so it’s mainly the side walls and pits, that’s why I was curious.

I'm in the same boat with the Hasbro MF, kit parts are not quite the right scale since it's just under studio scale. A slightly scaled down 3d print would be ideal.

I'm certainly interested. Not sure I can budget it, and I don't have a 3d printer at this time to speak of. I would be interested to see the list of kits, and what would be even cooler is a list that had what each greeblie went to. I know that is asking a lot, but I'm new to kit bashing and have a lot to learn.

dtssyst

Sr Member
I'm in the same boat with the Hasbro MF, kit parts are not quite the right scale since it's just under studio scale. A slightly scaled down 3d print would be ideal.

I'm certainly interested. Not sure I can budget it, and I don't have a 3d printer at this time to speak of. I would be interested to see the list of kits, and what would be even cooler is a list that had what each greeblie went to. I know that is asking a lot, but I'm new to kit bashing and have a lot to learn.
The great thing with the parts 3D scanned is that you can easily resize/rescale the part(s) before you print it. So, no need for multiple sized parts/files.

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Newmagrathea,

To be clear: I will be providing scans at 1:1 scale of the original greeblies. If you want to size them up or down, that's typically just changing the print setting on your 3D printer to Plus or Minus the appropriate percentage, which is usually easily figured out in 1-3 guesstimates. So if the 29" Hasbro Falcon is something you're trying to make look like the original Falcon, with all its sidewall greeblies, then you're in luck, because my scans will include each and every one of those sidewall greeblies. (Though some of them, just FYI, will need to be a.) printed out and layed on while still "soft" or else b.) printed, and then resin-cast and layed on while still soft, because you'll be accounting for curvature of the sidewall once you get past the front mandibles.)

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Would you pay $1 for a 3D scan of an entire kit's worth of greeblies? I would.

Tier 6 is the sweet spot, to be in Star Wars studio scale building heaven for the rest of your life.

Tier 7 is for a lucky few.

And Tier 8 has only 2 spots left. Once those are gone, the Tier 8 option disappears.

Jedi Dade

Master Member
Not to derail this but since it been mentioned a couple of times... you guys know that the Hasbro 29" "hero" falcon is a hybrid of the 5 footer details and the 32incher details right? Depending on where you look it on the thing is either of the 2 main models, so whatever one you pick is both "right" and "wrong" for that toy.

Just saying its never going to be "perfect" without a LOT of rebuilding... but these parts should give you many options...

Jedi Dade

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've done some research into it, and I am going to be getting "some" (thought not all) of the 32-inch Falcon original confirmed donors, so at least part of your problem is solved, if not all of it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.