Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

Project is still very much alive, and many contributors have contributed, and I'm looking specifically for this person:
1.) Has time to do intense 3D scanning of multiple dozens of kits (which I will send them), with Einscan II scanner (which I will send them)
2.) Has skill with 3D file creation and .STL water-tight mesh creation, AS WELL as .STL "clean-up" skills to make the scans into flawless files
3.) If this person does not have a resin 3D printer already, am also willing to send them my Anycubic Photon Mono X (with Curing Station) so that they can go from 1.) original to 2.) scan to 3.) .stl file to 4.) 3D print to PROVE proof-of-concept to any and all.
4.) If this person is local, all the better. If the person is within continental USA, then shipping is lower. If international, this probably won't work as the shipping costs alone would exceed the money raised to pay for all the tech tools.
5.) It does, of course (I hope) go without saying that I would need to have a working relationship of trust with the person to whom I was sending thousands of dollars of equipment and multiple thousands of dollars of model kits.

I have the tools to do this job, but still don't have the skill, and currently don't have the time to acquire those skills.

So if this is a project you are passionate about, and you meet the above requirements, please do contact me. At this point subscription money is only going towards a.) new kits and b.) shipping costs, as all the tools are in hand. IF, however, a new scanner gets put on the market that is a.) reasonably priced and b.) gives perfect "watertight mesh .stl" files just from a single scan, then I'll refocus on acquiring that in order to get this project accomplished sooner.

Thanks for all the interest -- though it as or more time-consuming than any other serious studio scale build (Millennium Falcon: 10 years average, if ever, I think), I continue to think it's worth the collective effort and continue to think future generations will be grateful for this resource.

SK

Savidge, I've done the same as needed for a number of other projects over the last 20 years or so. But I don't tackle kits at a time, I go after what I need for a project, so it's a few pieces from a large number of kits for a range of subjects, and part of the reason that I'm curious to see what's been done. Also, a hard drive failure...

Am guessing by the drop-off that things may be in limbo for various reasons, probably communicated to the folks who had bought a tier and are able to chat back and forth in other locations for the project, just not here. Here's a shot of something I did a few months back, the project is hinted at in the image. This was probably half of what was needed for the work. Yeah, right now even $100 is a lot for me.
surak-jpg.1621085
Well, these are reference photos, which I drop directly into the build area. You didn't see this "straight on" photo that gives me perfect profiles of each piece. Also, being able to see the "parts tree" with each separate piece is helpful because studying the Falcon you can't always tell what you're looking at.

And I'm not "tackling the kit" so much as doing this group because all the ones I have recreated appear on the Falcon. And they also appear on a couple other projects further down the pipeline, like Galactica, Moonbase Alpha and Red Dwarf to name a few.

I've got my own Patreon page started. The theme is studio scale models. The first tier will be $5. You'll get my entire greeble collection for the Millennium Falcon to print out for whatever project you like.

$5 bucks. No scanning. The entire collection.

How does that sound to you?
Kit Parts03C.jpg

Project is still very much alive, and many contributors have contributed, and I'm looking specifically for this person:
1.) Has time to do intense 3D scanning of multiple dozens of kits (which I will send them), with Einscan II scanner (which I will send them)
2.) Has skill with 3D file creation and .STL water-tight mesh creation, AS WELL as .STL "clean-up" skills to make the scans into flawless files
3.) If this person does not have a resin 3D printer already, am also willing to send them my Anycubic Photon Mono X (with Curing Station) so that they can go from 1.) original to 2.) scan to 3.) .stl file to 4.) 3D print to PROVE proof-of-concept to any and all.
4.) If this person is local, all the better. If the person is within continental USA, then shipping is lower. If international, this probably won't work as the shipping costs alone would exceed the money raised to pay for all the tech tools.
5.) It does, of course (I hope) go without saying that I would need to have a working relationship of trust with the person to whom I was sending thousands of dollars of equipment and multiple thousands of dollars of model kits.

I have the tools to do this job, but still don't have the skill, and currently don't have the time to acquire those skills.

So if this is a project you are passionate about, and you meet the above requirements, please do contact me. At this point subscription money is only going towards a.) new kits and b.) shipping costs, as all the tools are in hand. IF, however, a new scanner gets put on the market that is a.) reasonably priced and b.) gives perfect "watertight mesh .stl" files just from a single scan, then I'll refocus on acquiring that in order to get this project accomplished sooner.

Thanks for all the interest -- though it as or more time-consuming than any other serious studio scale build (Millennium Falcon: 10 years average, if ever, I think), I continue to think it's worth the collective effort and continue to think future generations will be grateful for this resource.

SK

Last edited:
It's interesting that you chose to delete all the posts after I posted my generous offer of my entire collection of MF greebles for only $5. You must not have wanted me to see the positive responses I was getting. Must have derailed your train pretty severely.

I did see one of the posts in reply to my offer, it was something like: "Yes, yes yes!"

You see, the way you responded told me you were all about the money. If you were a really, truly passionate modeler, you would have seen me as an ASSET to what you're doing rather than a threat.

Plus, asking people for so much money, than admitting that you need someone else to do the bulk of the work because you don't have time to go through the learning curve?

That begins to stink like it was right out of the con-artist's playbook: "get them to pay for it and do the work too".

While you're looking for someone to do the clean up work on parts that haven't even been scanned yet, and already asking for money, I'm over here with my Millennium Falcon greeble collection nearly complete.

Blew your sh!t up, didn't I!
Savidge,

I wish we actually knew each other, because there are multiple assumptions on your part that quite far off the base. I haven't deleted any posts, anywhere, and am actually under the impression that RPF doesn't allow any user to delete posts. So if I have missed posts, or not responded, that is more than likely, but I've never deleted a single post.

I do currently have a volunteer who is known to me and is going to try to get us to the next phase the project. I really did bite off more than I could chew based on the assumption that the scanner would do all the .STL file-creation, and I didn't know at the time that I would need very advanced skills at 3D file creation and clean-up.

It was never about the money, and still never is. Not sure how you would come to that conclusion, given that I am trying to give away 50k worth of greeblies for $200, which is a steal in any economy. And the money is now going strictly to acquiring the last few kits and the shipping costs for sending the kits across the country.

If my current volunteer doesn't work out, I would be happy to pass the scanner and the kits along to you, along with any of the new subscription money, and at that point you would see that we are talking about very little money and even that isn't likely going to be enough to do just the basics of what we're after, so in the end it really is primarily a volunteer effort.

Finally, I have no interest in a pissing match between "my" greeblie collection and "yours" -- if you would like to sell yours for 5 bucks then that is your prerogative. If you'd like to buy mine and add it to yours, or take over the whole thing, either one is fine with me: my only interest is the actual long-term survival of the hobby, and my need to charge money is simply to appease my wife who needs this hobby to not cost any more than it has already cost our marriage. I have a career and don't need to make any money on this hobby; I only charge what I think is reasonable and necessary to keep the hobby from dipping too severely into my paycheck, with which I support ten children. Sorry for your frustration, but the straw man you are aiming your vitriol at is not the target you have hit.

Warm regards,

SK

Savidge,

I wish we actually knew each other, because there are multiple assumptions on your part that quite far off the base. I haven't deleted any posts, anywhere, and am actually under the impression that RPF doesn't allow any user to delete posts. So if I have missed posts, or not responded, that is more than likely, but I've never deleted a single post.

I do currently have a volunteer who is known to me and is going to try to get us to the next phase the project. I really did bite off more than I could chew based on the assumption that the scanner would do all the .STL file-creation, and I didn't know at the time that I would need very advanced skills at 3D file creation and clean-up.

It was never about the money, and still never is. Not sure how you would come to that conclusion, given that I am trying to give away 50k worth of greeblies for $200, which is a steal in any economy. And the money is now going strictly to acquiring the last few kits and the shipping costs for sending the kits across the country.

If my current volunteer doesn't work out, I would be happy to pass the scanner and the kits along to you, along with any of the new subscription money, and at that point you would see that we are talking about very little money and even that isn't likely going to be enough to do just the basics of what we're after, so in the end it really is primarily a volunteer effort.

Finally, I have no interest in a pissing match between "my" greeblie collection and "yours" -- if you would like to sell yours for 5 bucks then that is your prerogative. If you'd like to buy mine and add it to yours, or take over the whole thing, either one is fine with me: my only interest is the actual long-term survival of the hobby, and my need to charge money is simply to appease my wife who needs this hobby to not cost any more than it has already cost our marriage. I have a career and don't need to make any money on this hobby; I only charge what I think is reasonable and necessary to keep the hobby from dipping too severely into my paycheck, with which I support ten children. Sorry for your frustration, but the straw man you are aiming your vitriol at is not the target you have hit.

Warm regards,

SK
Okay. I'm. Wrong. But you're still putting the cart before the horse. You're still asking for money before going through that learning curve and want others to do the work.

What compensation do your workers get?

The way you're doing it is the hard way round. Why do you want to go to so much expense and effort to do what, well; I've already done?

And what happened to all the posts from yesterday?

Yesterday there were 20 pages. Now it's back to 18.

Savidge , you do some great work, but poo-pooing on a project here is not a way to win hearts and minds. I have no skin in Studio Kitbash's offering, but I support anyone in this community who promotes the hobby.

I have found the Studio Scale enthusiasts want accurate parts, and that comes down with moulding marks, sink holes, flash and even stuff underneath the parts that viewers of the model would never see. Some of the old, original kits are unattainable, and the ones that are, could be more expensive than a good used car.

The scanning, if done properly, will pick up geometry from all sides, and not just from a top view of the photo. It is an enormous amount of work.

Scanned parts may not be for everyone, but you're free to start up another thread, even if it is for equivalent parts that are designed using alternate means. This is a community where we help each other. Studio Kitbash is not forcing anyone to help him and the ones who do get compensated so everybody who is interested in what he is promoting, wins.

Please adhere to forum rules. I'm not saying you haven't, but I think everyone should go to the bottom of the page and refamiliarize themselves with "Community guidelines" and "Terms and rules" to ensure this is a positive experience for all members. Membership on this website is not a right, but a privilege. Forum administrators have the right to delete posts that do not conform to the rules outlined and do not necessarily send you messages when posts do not follow those standards. Repeated offenses may result in banning membership.

I'd welcome a new thread from you to showcase your work. If you want to create a project, I believe you will have to become a paying member to advertise your wares on this site, as only Premium Members can do that. But everyone is allowed to post STLs of their designs, if they wish, or show off their work.

TazMan2000

Savidge , you do some great work, but poo-pooing on a project here is not a way to win hearts and minds. I have no skin in Studio Kitbash's offering, but I support anyone in this community who promotes the hobby.

I have found the Studio Scale enthusiasts want accurate parts, and that comes down with moulding marks, sink holes, flash and even stuff underneath the parts that viewers of the model would never see. Some of the old, original kits are unattainable, and the ones that are, could be more expensive than a good used car.

The scanning, if done properly, will pick up geometry from all sides, and not just from a top view of the photo. It is an enormous amount of work.

Scanned parts may not be for everyone, but you're free to start up another thread, even if it is for equivalent parts that are designed using alternate means. This is a community where we help each other. Studio Kitbash is not forcing anyone to help him and the ones who do get compensated so everybody who is interested in what he is promoting, wins.

Please adhere to forum rules. I'm not saying you haven't, but I think everyone should go to the bottom of the page and refamiliarize themselves with "Community guidelines" and "Terms and rules" to ensure this is a positive experience for all members. Membership on this website is not a right, but a privilege. Forum administrators have the right to delete posts that do not conform to the rules outlined and do not necessarily send you messages when posts do not follow those standards. Repeated offenses may result in banning membership.

I'd welcome a new thread from you to showcase your work. If you want to create a project, I believe you will have to become a paying member to advertise your wares on this site, as only Premium Members can do that. But everyone is allowed to post STLs of their designs, if they wish, or show off their work.

TazMan2000
No. I suspected him of conning people out of money. I was wrong. Let it go.

Savidge,

Warm regards,

SK
Regards to your wife.

So why spend the money? Don't spend the money. And why duplicate my efforts when I'm so generous?

Have you ever cleaned up a scanned object before? I have. One object in particular was a case scanned by Doug Drexler who used a pretty expensive scanner. It was a simple case but still had flaws that needed cleaning up. Because no matter how hard you try, you're going to end up with artifacts. I know from experience that you're sometime better off just modeling the piece.

Let me propose something completely different. DON'T scan the parts. And no need to send a scanner and some kits to me. Send photos instead.

Like I posted: I'm almost done with my greeble collection for the Falcon. So let me do that. Let me be your greeble dude. I'll make them. You just send me pictures of the parts.

And I only want $5 bucks for my time.

The pictures have to be pretty specific to get a good part. The sharpest picture possible. Also, a straight on view of entire parts trees. On a black background if the parts aren't black. And white if they are. And angled profile pictures so I can see, round edges, the thickness of the object and so on.

If you like this plan, the only thing left to figure out is finding out which parts I already have, because I obviously don't need pictures if I've already got it.

For example, I have the Sealab parts. And the Tamiya Panther. And you saw that I was working on the Ferrari 312B.

This proposal won't dip too severely into your paycheck.

You might have seen this image. But it's the "straight on" type of image I described.
Kit Parts03.jpg

Well this is a terrific offer and is kindly accepted. I have (almost) all the kits -- you just need pictures of them? And just straight "overhead" shots like above? Do you need, for photogrammetry's sake, at least one measurement of width and height per sprue, or is that not even necessary?

If so, I'll start making a Box folder and invite just you into it, and then we can proceed from there. Others in Europe have already done a great deal of this type of work, but the way they did it was to receive the parts, measure them, and then build .STL files directly from their own measurements. Enormously time consuming and expensive in shipping. But if it's all digital that's transferring, I'll be happy to supply you with all the pictures you need.

To your other questions -- I suspect it was Administrators who deleted posts, as I don't have that capacity. As to the cart before the horse, the original purpose of the money was to buy the scanner and the kits; the current purpose is to buy the few really expensive remaining kits (Porsche 935 and 1/8 Lotus, for example) and pay for shipping to/from the person doing the scanning. Under your proposal the shipping costs go away, which is quite appealing. So I will PM you from here on to discuss further details.

The missing greeblies from Deago falcon were done this way (unfortunately not available any more).
I took photos from all sides with 5mm grid paper. This allowed the 3d modeler to get the parts very accurate in size and detail.
I look forward to seeing more.

Kit scan section?

Anyway, I'd like to work on a specific section at a time. I'm working on the mandible sidewalls. So whatever group of kits used for those. I have a reference picture with a list (I love that someone did this).

Tomorrow I'll show you which of these parts I already have.

MF Greeble Identification02.jpg

This sounds like a great approach. Will start taking pictures.
Well, I don't want you to take pictures for something I already have. I'm going to assemble everything I have so far to see where I am. Then I'll post with a list of parts I've already made.

First, I've rescaled my build areas so the parts will all be scaled for the 5" Ft. Falcon. The image is the full size Ferrari part, which I have. It's the one on the left. Glad someone did this too. Makes my job tons easier. I just line up the 5 inch ruler, and, viola! Perfectly sized greebles.

ONE MORE THING! The reason I need the background monochrome is because that is part of my process. Black areas become non-existent when I drop a photo into the build area. Only the silhouette of the object remains. I can use it as a cutting tool with a perfect outline.

MF Greeble Sizing.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds like a great approach. Will start taking pictures.

Okay. Weird things keep happening to me on this forum. I saw your reply with the link to the pictures. Opened that site. Found out I need to update Javascript. Tried to update it but ended up changing my browser instead (???). I still don't have the Javascript extension and now I can't see your post at all anymore.

I can't access the pictures.

But I have another idea anyway. Don't know why I didn't think of it till now. I have Facebook group:

You can post your pictures there. And I won't need Javascript.

Hi Studio Kitbash, Savidge

this all sounds super interesting! If there is a possibility to get access to those pictures I‘d be highly interested, too.
For two reasons: I’m setting up a reference catalog of Falcon kit parts along John’s maps - but if not wanted your images would not end there of course. I have started a thread in case you want to have a look.
I also play around with 3D modeling, but not at a level to display here jet. Always looking for hi-res kit part images :)

So if you want to share, I’m all ears, fine if not!

Best,
Manu

Hi Studio Kitbash, Savidge

this all sounds super interesting! If there is a possibility to get access to those pictures I‘d be highly interested, too.
For two reasons: I’m setting up a reference catalog of Falcon kit parts along John’s maps - but if not wanted your images would not end there of course. I have started a thread in case you want to have a look.
I also play around with 3D modeling, but not at a level to display here jet. Always looking for hi-res kit part images :)

So if you want to share, I’m all ears, fine if not!

Best,
Manu
What pictures do you already have?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back