3D Printing Babylon 5 PPG

skiffy

Sr Member
So, I found a 3d file on thingiverse for the PPG from Babylon 5. I've always wanted to build one - and machining one from metal just isn't possible for me.

The file needed some manipulation to make it easier to prepare for finishing. Initially all the detail on the body was in one piece. I split off the sides as separate elements to make the body more kit-like, so I could sand down individual surfaces to get the best finish.

PPG_PanelPrint.jpg

PPG_Safety.jpg

Here's the plain body finished on the printbed.

PPG_Body_Bed.jpg

...and the state of play once the muzzle was printed. I've used white-tack to hold the pieces together for now.

PPG_ProgressMuzzle.jpg

..forgot to add a pic of the other side.

PPG_BodyBuild_LeftSide.jpg

Last edited:
I seriously love that the striation lines on your print are much less than I have seen on other prints. What are you going to use to fill in the lines?

The big thing that has turned me off a 3D printed PPG are the handles, the striation lines make them look off somehow. I look forward to seeing more of this build and thanks for sharing it here.

Don

I don't know if you would want to use such in your build but I found a "real world" substitute for the grip for the PPG. It is the Pachmayr Compac Grip S&W J Frame Round Butt Revolvers Rubber Black #03252 I found on EBAY. Here is a picture;

revolver grips.jpg

I'm using the grip for a "resin" kit of the PPG I have had in the stash for a long time. Mine you you may have to split the grip since it is molded in one piece with the seam towards the back.

Good Luck!!!

revolver grips.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously love that the striation lines on your print are much less than I have seen on other prints. What are you going to use to fill in the lines?

The big thing that has turned me off a 3D printed PPG are the handles, the striation lines make them look off somehow. I look forward to seeing more of this build and thanks for sharing it here.

Don

Thanks, Don. I've separated the detail parts as much as I can so that I can prime and sand everything flat (or as flat as I can get it). My printer handles detail very well so I should be able to get a 'semi' decent level of smoothness.

I'll then use the chroming pen I used to do my Neca Endo to get a good chrome finish. I might add in real screws later, if I can find out what sizes I'll need (and as long as I don't have to order 1,000 at a time - lol).

Darkev2 - Thanks! The grips are included in the file - but as one piece. I've split them and they should print quite well. I'm not sure about the accuracy of this 3d file so I'd hate to buy the real thing and find it didn't fit. :)

I still find it freaky that I'm printing out what equates to a garage kit. :)

BTW here's a link to the RPF thread where I test out the Molotow chrome pen on my Neca Endo: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=272691&page=3&p=4189008&viewfull=1#post4189008

Last edited:
Skiffy, that is sheer awesomeness - excellent work! If you ever offer any up in the Junk Yard, please sign me up as very interested!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It looks really great! May I ask you which file format and SW you were using. I'm a bit into 3D myself and I would like to get to know more about this 3D-printing stuff.

David.

Thank you DoctorWholittle, Apollo. Hopefully I can do the original justice.

David22 - Thanks, I've been using 3d and CGI in general for a lot of years (I'm an animator) and I've been 3d printing for a couple of years now.

I use Blender to make my own models but will be trying out Fusion 360 (specifically for printing) soon. I print on a kit built delta format printer from RepRapPro.

Feel free to ask anything else - if this stuff is useful to folks, I'm happy to share. You can find some good info on Youtube too - folks like Maker's Muse, Tom Sanladerer etc.

I've started on the grips.

PPG_Grip_01.jpg

Sadly I had to abort this print because i forgot to add support material for an overhang on the left side. Shame, it was looking great!

PPG_GripAbort.jpg

Anyway, a new print has been started and you can see the stripey lines of the support at the left side.

PPG_Grip_Supp.jpg

Here is my 'workshop' - ny daughter's bedroom, doubling up as print central while she's away at college. If you squint you can see lots of aborted pieces for a light saber in the box in the background. lol

PPG_Table.jpg

I made that 3D model -- I recognize the design of the sights. Nice work splitting it up! Are you planning to post a remix when this is done?

It was one of my earliest 3D prop models and it has some inaccuracies. You'll want to scale by approximately 0.93 (depending on how your printer/material shrinks) to make it the correct size. Also the right side is more different than the left than I realized. You'll want to find good reference for details on the "non dominant" side.

Skiffy,

I noticed something in the fourth image, I have marked it on the attached image. Will you be able to spring load the trigger?

PPG_Table_marked.jpg

Wow, Metaform3d - kudos to you for creating the file. It's a very nice mesh!

I do plan to post a remix, referencing your original build when this is done - if that's OK. As far as references and slight inaccuracies go, I'm just happy at this point to have a PPG at all - and that's thanks to you. :)

19narvik40 - yes, the original design, produced by metaform3d does have a trigger that has some movement in it as you'll see in the upcoming pics.

Thanks Optimistic Geom - I must admit I'm not looking forward to sanding/filling but it'll get done!

All the printing has been done now. I just finished the last few bits. Here is what the grips look like. Overall I'm happy with the detail but I think a vertical print - as it was originally designed by metaform3d - would yield better definition, so that's something for the near future.

PPG_GripDetail.jpg

Here are the two grip halves together - one with the support and brim still attached.

PPG_Grips.jpg

As for the trigger, there was no way it was going to print flat, so I had to stand it up.

PPG_TriggerFail.jpg

And lastly, my favourite parts - the inserts. It was hard to capture on my phone but those '5's look great. These little guys are about 10mm wide.

PPG_Inserts.jpg

EDIT: Had to add one last shot of the whole 'kit' print.

PPG_Kit_all.jpg

..and mocked up with white-tack. Feels great.

PPG_Mock-up.jpg

Last edited:
Very VERY Nice!!! Your idea of pulling the detail pieces from the sides was Great!!! I wonder what effect it may have on cost for those who don't have their own printer???

David22 - Thanks, I've been using 3d and CGI in general for a lot of years (I'm an animator) and I've been 3d printing for a couple of years now.

NICE! I know Blender and use it myself. Didn't know it was capable of doing things like that. Do I need some special plugins?

Thanks Optimistic Geom - I must admit I'm not looking forward to sanding/filling but it'll get done!

All the printing has been done now. I just finished the last few bits. Here is what the grips look like. Overall I'm happy with the detail but I think a vertical print - as it was originally designed by metaform3d - would yield better definition, so that's something for the near future.

View attachment 714090

Here are the two grip halves together - one with the support and brim still attached.

View attachment 714091

As for the trigger, there was no way it was going to print flat, so I had to stand it up.

View attachment 714092

And lastly, my favourite parts - the inserts. It was hard to capture on my phone but those '5's look great. These little guys are about 10mm wide.

View attachment 714093

View attachment 714096

View attachment 714128

skiffy,

WOW !!! Those grips came out fantastic !!! And I love the grip inserts as well. A most wicked job all the way around.
Are you going to do any cosplay with it or just as a display piece?

Last edited:
WOW !!! Those grips came out fantastic !!! And I love the grip inserts as well. A most wicked job all the way around.
Are you going to do any cosplay with it or just as a display piece?

No cosplay plans as yet. I've always wanted this prop so I'm just happy to have it on the go.

darkev2 - You'd need to either have someone print it for you and negotiate with them, or find something similar on a service like Shapeways.

David22 - You just need to ensure that you have the 3d printing output settings active in your add-ons. Blender already has everything you need, it's just not switched on by default. As I said earlier, I'm looking at using Fusion 360 for print-specific models. It can be a hassle producing a totally clean mesh from Blender.

I'll try to get one of the pieces sanded, primes and chromed as soon as poss - give myself an idea of the potential finish.

View attachment 714090

View attachment 714091

View attachment 714092

View attachment 714093

View attachment 714096

View attachment 714128
Wow, that is a thing of beauty, Skiffy! I must have one... y'know... if'n you'd be amenable to that.

Regardless, awesome workmanship!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back