3D Printed Safi'Jiiva Helmet from Monster Hunter World Iceborne

WTCreations

Here we go, my first RPF thread.

Howdy everybody! I'm a 3d Print Designer, Prop Maker, and Costumer; and I have a personal project going. The helmet of a fantastical set of armor from Monster Hunter World Iceborne.

The Awakened Safi'Jiiva Helmet Alpha.

Safi Jiiva Helmet Reference Image 1.jpg
Safi Jiiva Helmet Reference Image 2.jpg
Safi'Jiiva Cosplay Announcement detail 01.jpg
Safi'Jiiva Cosplay Announcement detail 02.jpg

I love this armor set so much! Wanted to make the entire cosplay; but decided to make just the helmet. It'll act as a souvenir from my most favorite Monster Hunter game thus far.

This helmet will be entirely 3d printed from my home printers and will light up just like in the game.

The glow.jpg

In the game, this helmet is made from the Scales, Horns, Scutes, Claws, and Hide from a big red dragon named Safi'Jiiva. The Hunter's Guild deemed this dragon to large a threat to the ecosystem to be left alive; because the dragon can drain the life energy out of its environment to power its laser like breath and heal its wounds. Leaving the land lifeless.

MHWI-Safi'jiiva_Render_001.png
49_7_1.jpg

I think this dragon is super cool!

Last edited:
IMG_20200512_085232533.jpg
IMG_20200514_095906790.jpg

Printed my first test helmet and cleaned up the print.

When I put the helmet on, I noticed something was off. I could see my jawline and the bottom of my ears poking out the bottom of the helmet. But I could not in the game.

Got some screenshots from the game and discovered something.... Off putting.

20200416094303_1.jpg
20200416094303_2.jpg
20200416094303_3.jpg

My Character's Skull Gets Replaced By The Helmet!!!!

20200330082248_1.jpg

That Helmet Has No Head In It!!!

That probably means the armor designers did not design this helmet to be actually worn by a real person! Well... No duh.
But if I want to replicate what is see on screen, I will have to make modifications to the shape of the helmet to hide my head. Sizing the helmet up to hide my head is not an option. Do not want an oversized helmet. That could look cartoony.

I lengthened the bottom of the helmet to solve that problem. Have to make compromises like this all the time in my line of work.

The discovery that what I am trying to bring to the real world is partly impossible to recreate verbatim makes me laugh every time.

The next thing I printed was the visors.

IMG_20200610_081158040.jpg
IMG_20200610_081204865.jpg

Had to print them in PLA+ instead of my usual ABS. They just would not stay on the print bed in ABS.

My plan for these are to have them be removeable so I may see more clearly and breath when I want to. Decided to make a compromise on them to. The visors' lit up detail have to be holes instead so I may see where I am going. Oh fantasy armor, I love ya but I need my senses.
20200330081942_1.jpg

How do you extract models from this game? And what program do you use?
I used a Nexus Mod called MHWorld Chunk Tool. That will uncook the game models and allow you to navigate through the game files to find any particular model. Had no luck with the textures though. It will extract the models into a .mod3 file format which you can use the Blender Mod Mod3-MHW-Importer-master, to import them into Blender, then export them into what file format you please. Be warned though, you have to use a specific version of Blender for the mod to be compatible. Forgot which one.

I use Maya as my main 3d modeling software to clean up the geometry, add details back in, and make them 3d print ready. ZBrush for organic texturing.

After some assembly and testing the fit, I attached the rear neck plates together with leather strips to enable the desired articulation.

Here is the articulation test. It's a success! They articulate just like how I thought they would.

Very pleased with this result.

Do not know how these will work when I have LEDs on the underside of them.

Thank you for answering my question ☺️ I just wanted the helmet from this game. Will you be able to share this helmet file? (Just the low poly helmet file)

Thank you for answering my question ☺️ I just wanted the helmet from this game. Will you be able to share this helmet file? (Just the low poly helmet file)
I don't know if I even have the right to distribute the files. I feel like maybe it could get me in trouble. Are we able to send files over private message? I'll try it now. What do you plan on doing with it?

Going to need many LEDs to get this helmet to light up.
20200330081801_1.jpg
20200330081942_1.jpg

Here is a test of the lighting I ran months ago with an electrician friend of mine.
20201221_130740.jpg
20201221_131414.jpg
20201221_130533.jpg

I am going to need heavy black primer under the paint to prevent from shining through outside the indented detail. And it looks like I need denser LED strips. The individual lights show through too clearly.

Anyone know of a brand of sandable primer that comes in bucket or tub form for brush painting on? Spray cans are not and option here.

Hi! Do you use blender? How do you smooth the model? By hand point by point or with some modifier? I've tried all the modifiers and cannot smooth it as you have!

The helmet looks amazing! Good job on it.

Hi! Do you use blender? How do you smooth the model? By hand point by point or with some modifier? I've tried all the modifiers and cannot smooth it as you have!

The helmet looks amazing! Good job on it.
Sorry to inform you. I do not use Blender; I use Maya. But how I do this is through two methods in my program. One such method is universal across most polygon based 3d software. In Maya I use a Crease feature that will protect a selected sharp edge from the Smooth feature.

The second method is a technique my teacher taught me in my 3d modeling Bachelor's Degree program.

Look at this top ridge.
Screenshot 2021-06-10 124521.jpg

You'll notice I have extra lines around the edge. Concentrating extra geometry in a small spot or line protects sharp edges or points from the smoothing process. This is how I get my sharp edges and creases on this project.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 124522.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-10 124809.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-10 124847.jpg

This technique should work with Blender's Smooth modifier.

I've never heard of EL Sheets before. Looked them up just now. I have some concerns, particularly with safety, brightness, and usability in costume. What do you know about EL Sheets?
I have not personally used EL sheets or strips but they where used for the costumes in TRON.
There are a few build threads on this forum to look at.

I don't know if I even have the right to distribute the files. I feel like maybe it could get me in trouble. Are we able to send files over private message? I'll try it now. What do you plan on doing with it?
I have a CR-30 printer. I also want to print the files, they look cool:)
Could you send me the files possibly?

I have a CR-30 printer. I also want to print the files, they look cool:)
Could you send me the files
Happy New Year Dragon00796!

Thank you for the interest in the files. Sorry to say I did not finish the files and have not touched them in over a year. I plan on getting back to this project after my current project, Fullmetal Alchemist Edward Elric, that will take months.

I'll let you know when I get back to it.

Happy New Year Dragon00796!

Thank you for the interest in the files. Sorry to say I did not finish the files and have not touched them in over a year. I plan on getting back to this project after my current project, Fullmetal Alchemist Edward Elric, that will take months.

I'll let you know when I get back to it.
Good luck with your project, and happy new year to you as well :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back