1/72 scale Naboo Starship build up

REL

Sr Member
Here's one of my Naboo Starship's I'm making for a client. I could never get the paint to look more than just shiny silver, so I decided to do it the way ILM did the studio model, with chrome mylar applied with a heat gun and iron.I had to cut the mylar into separate panels etc. to follow the contour of the hull.

(sorry for camera phone pics)

nek_naboo_03.jpg

nek_naboo_04.jpg

OMG!! Rel really you are just an incredable artisan. You raise the bar to the highest. Post more photos!!!

Will

Thanks.This stuff shows even the smallest piece of dust. So I had to wet sand, and wet sand and wet sand, then use fine steel wool, then I use a tack cloth before I put down each panel.

Here's a closer view.

nek_naboo_05.jpg

That looks awesome! Does the mylar adhere on it's own with an adhesive backing, or are you having to put down glue? I'd love to know more about the technique!

Lemme guess. You have a tounge and groove ceiling in your workshop...

At first I thought that was a problem with the Mylar application.

:)

Looks kickass.

-Gary

Those are camera phone pics? Wow, the camera in your phone is pretty good (at least, compared to mine!).

And the finish on that Naboo starship is inspired! Your work is, as always, amazing. :love

Great work! I remember reading that the real ILM maquette had the mylar peel off a bit after time spent in storage. Any concerns about that? And, BTW, where does one get chrome mylar?

Alan

That is awesome.:thumbsup
I still have my kit "in progress" (mostly just trimmed:rolleyes) I need to get back to it sometime soon with this pictures getting me in the mood to work on it again:)

I've tried using thin chrome metal sheets -- paper-thin -- like foil -- you cut it -- press it down and smooth out the wrinkles. It's the smoothing out the wrinkles part that drives you insane. It doesn't work well with curved or angular surfaces. Just a frikkin' headache to use. Is the chrome mylar just as difficult to work with?

That's a beaut. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

A previous commision of mine yielded brilliant results with Alclad II but yours is gonna be amazing at that size. :)

Naboo-Royal_6.jpg

Naboo-Royal_5.jpg

Naboo-Royal_2.jpg

Naboo-Royal_1.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back