1/72 Cloud City Diorama with PG Falcon and FM Slave 1

You know, we could use some 1/144 tie fighter cockpits, too... with the open canopy instead of the solid ones we get with Vader's, the regular tie, and the tie fighter from Rogue one... drawing a blank on the name... Hell, even the x-wings and y-wings, too... I'd buy them all...lol... Hint, hint, NKG! Of course, it would be very kind of you... No pressure cause I need those maintenance pits first :D

Actually, I planned on doing X-wing and TIE canopies and cockpits next. I went as far as making an X-wing one, but it turned out to be a real problem because the X-wing canopy struts are so thin. Makes it hard to make it actually 3D printable given Shapeways' current technology. I did some test prints but never finished it - the lower angle of the canopy frame is wrong here.

Then, because hardly anyone bought the snowspeeder canopies I dropped the idea. If nobody buys the thing then I never make back my expenses of doing all the test prints!

xwing.jpg

xwing.jpg

Actually, I planned on doing X-wing and TIE canopies and cockpits next. I went as far as making an X-wing one, but it turned out to be a real problem because the X-wing canopy struts are so thin. Makes it hard to make it actually 3D printable given Shapeways' current technology. I did some test prints but never finished it - the lower angle of the canopy frame is wrong here.

Then, because hardly anyone bought the snowspeeder canopies I dropped the idea. If nobody buys the thing then I never make back my expenses of doing all the test prints!

View attachment 851025

If it's any help... maybe just the cockpit? We can always trim out the canopy that came with the kit. I'll definitely be picking up at least two of your canopies... Just a matter of when I get to getting them. JPG is putting out a resin kit of the hoth shield generator that I can use for a diorama... a rather extensive diorama is what I have planned... So your snowspeeder canopies will be used for sure.

Well, I could make a cockpit, but the plastic around the existing Bandai X-wing canopy is actually fairly thick. So it'd be really difficult to install an aftermarket cockpit unless you cut out the whole canopy area anyway. As for the snowspeeders - yes, I was a little surprised. Since they're scaled to the Bandai AT-AT I thought there'd be a lot more interest. And some people have done some fantastic work with them, putting them into dioramas. :)

I'm another potential buyer of snowspeeders canopy, but I still struggle to get enough cash for it :p I just returned to the hobby after 10 years and I'm burning my money on proper equipment - airbrush set, spraybooth, big box full of bandai SW kits (they're not available in europe, so it was way cheaper to buy 12 models at once to lower overall shipping cost), some just-announced gunpla p-bandai's... shapeway must wait :p

Yes, I definitely wish that companies like Shapeways offered less expensive high-resolution print options. But I guess a big part of the problem is how much manual labour is required to sort through, clean, and package the printed pieces. There's basically no automation of those processes at this point.

Right now my understanding is that they try to pack as many projects into a print job as they can. But then you end up with this big basket of bits that a human has to deal with. A machine that could split each project into a self-contained process would make things way cheaper.

Maybe they could offer a print with support (if supported) still attached …. cutting out all that trimming and sanding must reduce lots of work hours. Got the 1 144 falcon, slave one blockade runner and imp shuttle and love them. Snow speeder canopy ordered thanks to this thread as I'd missed it (despite the 3 different options) and a squadron of 1 144 Ties.

I know what you mean about the X Wing canopy size for printing, I struggled to get one half decent canopy for an E Wing, Then dropped and broke it:lol and that was 1:72 ish scale

Just need a Set of B Wing landing gear on shapeways for the Bandai 1:72 :thumbsup

Actually the “fine detail” process used by Shapeways has no resin supports. That’s part of what you’re paying for. They have dual jets - one producing resin and one producing wax. The wax supports any overhanging areas, which is cool as the wax can then be melted away.

The drawback is twofold. First, the wax leaves oily residues which must be properly cleaned off before painting. And second, there’s a slightly rough texture on resin surfaces that were in contact with the resin during printing.

mffanrodders;[URL="tel:4538862" said:
4538862[/URL]]WOW, awesome build on your PG Falcon. I particularly like the addition of the ramp corridor. It adds a lot to the build.

Thanks! That corridor does do wonders...

Love the landing gear. I’ve had mine sitting in primer for about a month now because I’m afraid of ruining them. You’ve struck a good balance of realistic weathering here.

SB

Love the landing gear. I’ve had mine sitting in primer for about a month now because I’m afraid of ruining them. You’ve struck a good balance of realistic weathering here.

SB

Thanks, Steven! Although I do love the studio model, there are so many talented modelers that have made beautiful replicas of that ship. I wanted to pick a scene out of a movie and put my own twist on the Falcon. Obviously, I'm trying to stay true to the five-footer, but just doing my own take on making her my own interpretation of what she'd look like in real life. That's a totally objective thing, so anything I do is not wrong, nor is what anyone else does to their own ships.

That my preference as well

I use ILM as a guide, but I try to get a little more detailed painting wise

It was kind of surprise when I saw the SW exhibit how "rough" some of the paint jobs seemed to be

I've also learned to avoid using heavy dark panel washes. I actually don't specifically do panel line washes anymore. It takes away from some of the "realism".

That my preference as well

I use ILM as a guide, but I try to get a little more detailed painting wise

It was kind of surprise when I saw the SW exhibit how "rough" some of the paint jobs seemed to be

I've also learned to avoid using heavy dark panel washes. I actually don't specifically do panel line washes anymore. It takes away from some of the "realism".

Yeah, I don't use panel line washes, either. I use quick drying oils dilluted with mineral spirits as washes. They work really well, especially with Star Wars models. Since they give you that 'dirty' or 'grimmy' feel. The only other types of paints I use (besides the acrylics I use for base paints) are the rub n buff ones that are made to mimick metal. I love them!

Heavy, dark panel lines take away from the realism, and give your model a more toylike look. Unless that's what you're going for... You do see a lot of that in gunpla, though.

Well... I was unhappy with the stock cockpit cone, back wall, etc... with the extensive removal of all the plastic bits in the cockpit tube, in order to accommodate a hallway and lighting, the two-piece system that Bandai provides was not fitting properly. So, I ordered 308bits full cockpit set including the cone, back wall, sidewalls, console, and seats. I am much, much happier with it! In order to make it removable, I will be using some small magnets to keep it in place. Those pictures will follow once I get the magnets in stock.

20181103_022822436_iOS.jpg20181103_022808439_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20181103_022808439_iOS.jpg
    20181103_022808439_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
  • 20181103_022822436_iOS.jpg
    20181103_022822436_iOS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
The instrument panel sure looks nice. especially having rectangular openings for the lighting to shine through instead of just round ones you get using fiber

The instrument panel sure looks nice. especially having rectangular openings for the lighting to shine through instead of just round ones you get using fiber

It does... so I need to come up with a back panel solution that doesn't require me to pull through round fiber...

Yeah. I'm working on a few ideas for that. Fibre dots, even 0.25mm, are too big and round to look right at 1/72.

Would photocopying the insrument panel and glueing the copy to a standoff panel work? Drill holes in the rear standoff panel for fibreoptics (fiberoptics bigger than the square holes) and butt it up against the hero panel. Or maybe nkg could do a panel with round holes in the back and squared off up front. If you get what I mean

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back