1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

So I haven't settled on a slicer... recommendations? so far I have on my list Cura, Prusa, chitubox... is there a clear winner amongst them or does it not matter much?

Does the slicer make a difference based on the printer I am using? would one be better for a resin printer (Elegoo mars) vs an FDM printer (Tronxy 5xsa pro)... I realize they would likely have different settings but should they have different slicers?

Jedi Dade

Have a look for videos by Maker's Muse or Thomas Sanladerer on youtube, think they both have done slicer comparison videos.

From what I have seen the Prusa slicer is about the best for FDM printers as I think most manufacturers supply a profile for it, Chitubox seems to be the go to for resin printers. In the resin slicer make sure the anti-alias setting it turned on, it makes the prints considerably better.

I bought Simplify3D years ago when there was only Cura (which did not well for Duet based printers back then) and Sli3er, I have stuck with it for my custom FDM as I got used to it.

Jon

Kind of doing some things with these files, thought y'all might be interested. this here was all done on a ender 5 plus and a photon for the clear bits. I am not as good as Dave was but I am slowly trying to clean up the parts to produce a good build, mine will be at 1/350 because I can't deal with small parts what with the arthritis and all, a photon was utilized for the domes. and then sanding lots and lots of sanding. The files are available on thingiverse and I won't get insulted if y'all want to improve upon them. Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

Attachments

• longboy.jpg
    longboy.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 275
  • longer boy.jpg
    longer boy.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 270
  • tower.jpg
    tower.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 267
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 291
AMAZING!!! i been watching this on FB, got my ender 5 pro but need to tune it up. Straight into the fire!
thankx for doin this, i was sad to hear so much about the problems shapeways was having with the files and printing i figured i would never be able to try my hand at building this vessel.
such a great vintage ship and such a dark movie for disney. just wonderful!!!

I'm just going to leave these here.....

Attachments

• Ten.jpg
    Ten.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 250
  • Seven.jpg
    Seven.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Eight.jpg
    Eight.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Nine.jpg
    Nine.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Six.jpg
    Six.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Five.jpg
    Five.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 237
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 232
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 234
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 216
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 265
Coming along working the stern at this time which was where the most corruption of files was found.
Hi M,

Looks really excellent - I'm a printing novice - what does corruption of the files mean? - code issues leading to malformation of the part when printing?

Do you have any idea if everything is now available via SW and should I then be going for Krennen or Primitive Dave?

Yours is the 1/700?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Hi M,

Looks really excellent - I'm a printing novice - what does corruption of the files mean? - code issues leading to malformation of the part when printing?

Do you have any idea if everything is now available via SW and should I then be going for Krennen or Primitive Dave?

Yours is the 1/700?

Thanks so much for sharing!
mine is 1/350 and it only cost about 200.00 in materials and lighting

Mriconoclast,

Did you use plans / instructions? How and where did you get your parts printed? I know Sstinson elsewhere in this thread has a list of parts - did you use that list?

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

There is a link in this thread (somewhere) to the shapeways website where the files are kept. They are free to download or pay shapeways to print it for you, although it’s quite pricey.

Something to think about...but first..
Some other 3D printing news
A 3-D printer that can print data sets as physical objects
Making data matter: Voxel printing for the digital fabrication of data across scales and domains | Science Advances

A team of researchers from MIT and Harvard University has come up with a way to get 3-D printers to print objects using data sets rather than geometric representations. In their paper published on the open access site Science Advances, the group describes their new technique and some of the ways they believe it could be used.

I wonder if that can be done with drawings--as here
The Excelsior - uncovering the design
Enterprise Evolution from TOS to TMP

Very good drawings.

But this here below is wild:
Dynamic 3-D printing process features a light-driven twist

In the paper, the researchers demonstrate several applications, including 3-D printing a customized vascular stent and printing a soft pneumatic gripper made of two different materials, one hard and one soft. A double helix and a tiny Eiffel Tower are two other printed examples in the study.

The first thing that popped into my mind was the Cygnus from THE BLACK HOLE.

With this technology not only could you do a model of the Cygnus with antenna made of soft flexible bits that won't break if a child tried to lay it down flat (ugh)--but you can warp it as was done with the Eiffel Tower.

Imagine a Vantablack sphere, with a distorted Primitive Dave Cygnus print spiraling into it!

The caption would read that a structural integrity field was used that failed during the meteor strikes....but even if it had worked...the gravity gradient was still too strong. This vantablack sphere would be backlit....with colored glass dome and ring to make it look more like the Kip Thorne version from INTERSTELLAR.

Careful with prints!
New research could help manufacturers avoid 3D-printing pitfall

Quote from starship modeler:
I've seen a technique that is supposed to improve the strength of pieces. Basically you encase the work in plaster of paris, let it dry and heat the whole thing above the melting point of your print material. This essentially melts the material into a solid piece, and removes any areas of poor adhesion. It does have to be done with solid infill, as any hollows would collapse. The plaster makes it retain the final form, and once it's cool you just soak it in a slightly acidic water to remove the plaster.

From what I've seen it triples the strength of PETG, but doesn't do much for PLA.

A new glue!
Researchers create strong, fast, waterproof adhesive

New paint
https://www.fastcompany.com/9063480...uld-make-your-iphone-look-different-every-day
The whitest paint is here – and it’s the coolest. Literally.

Hello. With a lot of patience and translator programs, I read the article. Because I'm from Germany.
Now I'm planning to build the 1/700 model and I've looked around at the parts lists in this post accordingly.
All of them are probably still available, but no one seems to be making the Bow Windows anymore.

Can someone help me?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I've been following this since early on, waited white-knuckled as Martyn and Dave were struggling to get consistent results from Shapeways, saw Dave vanish into the mists almost a decade ago and others pick up his work, and have waited while COVID happened to see what would come of it here. Martyn's been off the site for a couple years, now, himself. I hope his renovations are going well. Chris has swooped in with a lot of great work around the same time. But there's been little activity for a while, and I'm kind of stuck. I have downloaded Martyn's downloadable pieces off of Shapeways -- the engines and their caps, and the upper and lower domes of the power centers. I have Chris' antennæ and armature and all of his 1:700 pieces off of Thingiverse.

But, since Martyn's been away, I haven't been able to ask him to unlock any of his other Shapeways models that have proven so tricky. I have and have access to enough 3D printing gear that I feel confident tackling a 1:350 build, but the thirty-one non-downloadable models he has up on Shapeways are unavailable, and, after seeing all the problems people were having with having Shapeways print them, I haven't wanted to purchase them through there. Nwerke, if you have your notifications turned on, I'd gladly pay you something for the use of your models at home. I don't know when you'll be back at it, and I worry the 1:350 project will fizzle out unrealized.

mriconoclast, you've done splendid work. I noted the pieces you specifically said could be upscaled for a 1:350 build, but I'd like to know how your others stand up. I want to avoid the "fat girder" problem of upscaling Dave's models as-is, for the practical considerations of printing them at 1:700. I'm pretty sure your fuel tanks would be okay, and the tower antennæ look like they'd work, too, but I can't tell about the rest. What's your take?

Worst case, I'd like to get what I can that I can print here, and cut down the number of pieces I'd have to order through Shapeways. I have enough things I'm throwing money at them for that I can't do at home. I am, however, concerned that there will be a visible difference between pieces modeled for 1:350 printing, and upscaled 1:700 parts. marcnoonan, I don't know if you have notifications turned on. It's been five years since you've been on here, yourself. Your probe ship and various other bits are things I still need, too.

See if anyone pokes their heads in from Mentioning them...

I've been following this since early on, waited white-knuckled as Martyn and Dave were struggling to get consistent results from Shapeways, saw Dave vanish into the mists almost a decade ago and others pick up his work, and have waited while COVID happened to see what would come of it here. Martyn's been off the site for a couple years, now, himself. I hope his renovations are going well. Chris has swooped in with a lot of great work around the same time. But there's been little activity for a while, and I'm kind of stuck. I have downloaded Martyn's downloadable pieces off of Shapeways -- the engines and their caps, and the upper and lower domes of the power centers. I have Chris' antennæ and armature and all of his 1:700 pieces off of Thingiverse.

But, since Martyn's been away, I haven't been able to ask him to unlock any of his other Shapeways models that have proven so tricky. I have and have access to enough 3D printing gear that I feel confident tackling a 1:350 build, but the thirty-one non-downloadable models he has up on Shapeways are unavailable, and, after seeing all the problems people were having with having Shapeways print them, I haven't wanted to purchase them through there. Nwerke, if you have your notifications turned on, I'd gladly pay you something for the use of your models at home. I don't know when you'll be back at it, and I worry the 1:350 project will fizzle out unrealized.

mriconoclast, you've done splendid work. I noted the pieces you specifically said could be upscaled for a 1:350 build, but I'd like to know how your others stand up. I want to avoid the "fat girder" problem of upscaling Dave's models as-is, for the practical considerations of printing them at 1:700. I'm pretty sure your fuel tanks would be okay, and the tower antennæ look like they'd work, too, but I can't tell about the rest. What's your take?

Worst case, I'd like to get what I can that I can print here, and cut down the number of pieces I'd have to order through Shapeways. I have enough things I'm throwing money at them for that I can't do at home. I am, however, concerned that there will be a visible difference between pieces modeled for 1:350 printing, and upscaled 1:700 parts. marcnoonan, I don't know if you have notifications turned on. It's been five years since you've been on here, yourself. Your probe ship and various other bits are things I still need, too.

See if anyone pokes their heads in from Mentioning them...
HI - new member but long-time planning to build the Cygnus and as now have a 3d printer am ready to make a start.
I would be grateful if you or anyone else could post a round up of resources.
I have, what I thought was a complete set stl files for the PDave parts (I got them back in 2014 when you could download from Shapeways)
So would like to know if there are still valid or if revisions exist.

Thanks in advance

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back