1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Those are some pretty important parts to be corrupted... I'm just glad I bought all of these while Dave was still around and cranking them out.

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Jason, just going from a .doc someone sent me last year, tonight, but I recalled there were others. I'll have a look at the spine tomorrow.

For now, I've just put these up too - the two kinds of observatory antennas. Been promising that for nearly a year. Sorry dudes.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kre...r+Primitive+Dave+kit+-+backup/missing+par&s=0

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah - right there with you man. It can get to be a real grind, opening another *expensive* box and realising it's another raft of problems.

Attachments

• 625x465_4514923_14892481_1458578886.png
    625x465_4514923_14892481_1458578886.png
    350.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 625x465_4514759_14891641_1458576188.png
    625x465_4514759_14891641_1458576188.png
    362.9 KB · Views: 118

OK just checked Dave's store and yep, there's no top spine. I think I did get that news previously. Dang. I've DL'd his fuel modules and bottom spine and I'll work up a new top spine piece from those, when I get a chance. Thanks for the reminder, Jason.

Edit - no I won't, these files don't work at all, for some *different* reason. They clearly have content but can't import properly. Too tired, hitting the sack.

Last edited:
Looks like I won't have to resort to drilling tiny holes in tiny bits of lego after all! Parts ordered from shapeways as of right now. Cheers Martin.:)

:thumbsup

But...AWK...looks like I forgot to mention some stuff:

1) this is all 1/700 stuff for Dave's kit - probably obvious but in case anyone's just skimming this! 1/350 guys, I'll upload more stuff soon as I can

2) for the 1/700 antennas I'm not 100% sure the size is right. Best to order in a cheaper material first off to check that. SORRY

Dave is using proportionally different sizing to mine for the regular antennas. They're a bit bigger, in scale. I've based the lower row off his 'regular' antenna just messed around a bit, and the upper row are based off my 1/350 version, rescaled and reworked. I've scaled them both to match his regular antennas, as best I can - in his build pics it looks like they're all around a thumbnail in length. Hopefully it'll be close enough. If not, this is my fault and I'll buy you a replacement set.

PS meant to add there is data in Dave's spine and fuel module files. It is riddled with errors though and won't open normally. MeshLab is able to work with it, but it could take a while to get anything usable out of these files. Is anyone actually waiting on a 1/700 upper spine at the moment?

Last edited:
Ah crud, SW just rejected the upper row antenna after a manual check. They're doing the lower row ones now, and will probably reject those too. The rejected elements are rods I ported over from Dave's model, unchanged - it's Shapeways which has changed; they've yet again increased the minimum size for wires/rods.

So I'll have to go back over these and reupload, looks like. The fixed versions won't be quite as "fine". Sorry.

Note to self...buy a Form2...

Top row cancelled by shapeways, Unable to cancel the bottom row at my end, as production has begun. However, they are twice the size they should be judging by the ref pix I have!

That'll teach me a lesson-read the measurements first, before excitedly leaping around the room and pressing the "buy it now" button....

Don't worry, pretty sure it will get rejected too. Manual checks are still "in progress".

Can't be *twice* the size though, surely? They should still be the same diameter as the main antennas??

32buds, did you order in WSF or something else? If WSF the parts are still listed as undergoing manual checks - wtf, Shapeways - but this hopefully means they'll be rejected.

Jeff, these were meant to be the 1/700 parts. 32buds is right though, I scaled them off the standard antennas and they're too big. A case of working too late at night.

I re-modelled them in a smaller size last night and reuploaded. Unfortunately, SW is now applying more materials-size filtering even though I did increase the size of the elements. They're listed as "iffy" in WSF, but OK in FUD. Version 2 of each item. I'll take down the other ones and start renaming things with 1/700 and 1/350 in the actual part names from here on - there's going to be too much potential for confusion now that there's not a neat firewall between the two projects any more.

I'd try ordering one of each in WSF first off. I shrank them by about 30%, IIRC - they're half the size of my 1/35 parts now, but I still can't promise it will all look or work exactly right.

PS no joy yet with the spine parts. Unfortunately, every one of the parts which has spine elements, and is downloadable...is also genuinely corrupt. It looks like the files are ASCII STL files, sometimes saved as .STL and sometimes as .OBJ, then zipped. Somewhere along the line, the file's own log data is corrupting.

They can pass SW upload filters - I tested that last night - but in terms of opening them in a modelling prog, no dice as yet. MeshLab fails outright and Netfabb is struggling; it can display the parts and repair elements of them, but can't find files to save. It can only save individual elements one at a time...like, literally, single struts! I'll do it if I have to but it means an all-nighter, lol.

Massive thanks to Paul, who saved Dave's upper spine part and had fixed some corruption issues already. Saved me a lot of work recreating the part! I've uploaded it to the Primitive Dave 1/700 section on my shop.

- - - Updated - - -

It's in SW upload-filter testing right now. As usual with these I just can't promise this part will work OK, someone will need to try ordering it. If it doesn't, I'll try to discover the issues and fix it, when time allows.

Yes, I ordered in wsf. It was considerably cheaper than the ultra detail plastic. Especially when buying eight of each.
I re-ordered using your revised set. They've just cancelled the bottom antenna, saying it is too fine to print. Waiting for the top antenna to be cancelled as well.

Yeah, I just saw that. :( The reason is the four "spikes" around the middle of each set. I'd say those will kill things for the main antennas too. SW *really* doesn't like "unsupported wires" any more. Hopefully though the top ones will be OK.

The v0.2 type will probably be OK in FUD - but $$$$. I'll design a new set for the lowers for WSF use only, but the spikes will have to be almost doubled in thickness.

Now this is becoming a farce! Shapeways has cancelled the bottom antenna on my second order, but the top antenna, which are finer and likely to break easier, have gone into production! The first order, the top antenna of which were cancelled(for being to delicate) has just been dispatched...
So,to sum up.... I'm going to have bottom antenna which are vastly oversized and top antenna which, hopefully,will be spot on.

Now this is becoming a farce! Shapeways has cancelled the bottom antenna on my second order, but the top antenna, which are finer and likely to break easier, have gone into production! The first order, the top antenna of which were cancelled(for being to delicate) has just been dispatched...
So,to sum up.... I'm going to have bottom antenna which are vastly oversized and top antenna which, hopefully,will be spot on.

Doesn't mean they still won't be cancelled. They will try a few times and if they are not OK with the results they will still cancel them. Alternatively, they may contact you and inform you they cannot be shipped without a high risk of damage and leave the choice up to you. One time they did that to me and the packing was substandard by their own standards and arrived damaged. The other arrived perfect. But, at this point will not reprint them on their nickel regardless of how they were packed.

The top antennas don't have the "spike" details. So they're OK. Unless they're not.

Which means a WSF-printable version of the bottom antennas will look...a bit ridiculous alongside the top ones, since I'll have to double the thickness of the spikes. MEH

As mentioned before, once we have a fix I'll send you a set of the corrected versions, since it was my cockup!

- - - Updated - - -

But, at this point will not reprint them on their nickel regardless of how they were packed.

Don't you just love monopolies?? :|

The top antennas don't have the "spike" details. So they're OK. Unless they're not.

We'll know in a few days mate. They've just been posted, along with the second order.

Which means a WSF-printable version of the bottom antennas will look...a bit ridiculous alongside the top ones, since I'll have to double the thickness of the spikes. MEH

If the spikes are too thick, surely the modeller can reduce them using a modellers file to the correct width-just a thought.
At least the overall look would be correct.

As mentioned before, once we have a fix I'll send you a set of the corrected versions, since it was my cockup!

That sounds like a plan. Cheers Martin.:)

NP! Have been tied up with another project this week but will get more stuff done soon. Actually what might be easiest is if you order the parts and I just Paypal the cost back to you. Incidentally, new material just debuted! Black detail acrylate - cheaper than FUD/FED and supposedly, better/smoother too. Can anyone see this option yet? SW says it's only available to makers right now. If that's true, I'll order some test bits to scope it out. It's not radically cheaper - still well above WSF - but might be worth it for some of the small bits.

PS Pinshape is kill - they're shutting down entirely, today. Saw this coming! When a business abandons its core activity and flails around the writing is on the wall. It was very hard to work out what they were for, after they stopped offering printing services. I mean if there was no such thing as Thingiverse, it might have made some sense. (I hear Playboy is up for sale, too. No shock there either!)

- - - Updated - - -

PPS pieces arrive yet? Too-big ones also?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back