1:1 Scale Snowspeeder (T-47 Airspeeder) build.

Some work on the skids over the last few days. I found a length of aluminium channel. I was going to use flat sheet but it was going to look like a piece of cardboard. Something bulkier would be better so this fits the bill. I will paint over the wood grain (which is actually quite amazing how realistic the wood grain looks).

I want to make them look like they retract so i will add some extra cables and so on. I might look at some modern aircraft systems and see how they look.

1706822926184.jpeg

Maybe the thinking was to have a "hero" snowspeeder for Luke's scenes, and then background props that were slightly smaller to sell the size of the hanger and fit everything on the soundstage, plus cost savings, etc.?
Yes, and even have children in costumes and fitted into those smaller snow speeders to create the illusion of depths.

I stopped by our local aircraft museum yesterday and got some nice shots of the padded interior of an Vietnam war era plane. Very cool. I always wondered why the Snowspeeder had that internal padding but clearly it was modeled on reality.

1707432452278.png

1707432517869.jpeg

1707432550522.jpeg

Guys! You need to tell me these things exist!! I came across a book that i have never seen before. Star Wars Blue Prints by JW Rinzler. I can see there is a good detail for the seat even with dimensions and an even better section drawing of the harpoon gun:)
To top it all off there is one for sale on ebay ----in the next suburb from me -Sold!! The guy is dropping it to me this weekend.

1707434734607.jpeg
1707434754584.jpeg

Last edited:
yeah! its a little bit of insulation and padding and covering up the wiring and tubing of the structure. Not sure if its any lighter than actual aluminum with the padding and such, but it might be.
Most military aircraft forego it in the large scale, troop transports, cargo, etc, but most single cockpit fighter or bomber aircraft, especially these days, have some sort of "coverings" in the cockpit itself.

Guys! You need to tell me these things exist!! I came across a book that i have never seen before. Star Wars Blue Prints by JW Rinzler. I can see there is a good detail for the seat even with dimensions and an even better section drawing of the harpoon gun:)
To top it all off there is one for sale on ebay ----in the next suburb from me -Sold!! The guy is dropping it to me this weekend.

View attachment 1787912 View attachment 1787913
That looks like a great book for sure(y)(y)

View attachment 1787912 View attachment 1787913
OK, I get that maybe someone out there had put forth the effort to gather this info and to put it in a book.I can also see the chances that such a book, however unknown to me, might find its way onto an online seller. But the chances of it being so close to the guy building a 1:1 snowspeeder that the seller is bringing it over? But, and I am interjecting my own selfishness here, if I had such a book and could use its delivery as my free ticket to seeing a 1:1 snowspeeder, the chances of me offering delivery would increase greatly.

OK, I get that maybe someone out there had put forth the effort to gather this info and to put it in a book.I can also see the chances that such a book, however unknown to me, might find its way onto an online seller. But the chances of it being so close to the guy building a 1:1 snowspeeder that the seller is bringing it over? But, and I am interjecting my own selfishness here, if I had such a book and could use its delivery as my free ticket to seeing a 1:1 snowspeeder, the chances of me offering delivery would increase greatly.
Thinking the same thing:p(y)(y)

Hahaha. Spot on greenmachines! The guy appeared at my front door and we did the exchange. I said to him " want to see something out the back?". When he saw it he was initially speechless. I am hoping for regular responses like this.

The book!
Published 2013 JW Rinzler (RIP).
First image is the harpoon gun that appears to have ultimately changed during the build process. No idea of the scale unfortunately.
Second; A drawing showing the decals for the X-wing but i have matched the "ZZ" detail to the Snowspeeder so really happy to get a good shot of that.
Third: THE BEST SNOWSPEEDER SEAT PHOTO ever!. So much detail in this one. WW2 US army clips for the securing the cushions. The elbow area greeblie appears to be the same as the one i made and cast for the Canon bulkhead so i have that covered. Some additional greeblies are noted around the shoulder area but these probably broke off during filming. One neat detail is the black and white scale bar on the table in front of the seat. I just don't know what the scale is....Being in the UK its probably metric and either 25mm or 50mm bars.
Forth: The overall blue prints. The overall width of 3.8m is pretty close to mine.

1707779440222.jpeg

1707779247284.jpeg

1707779280018.jpeg

1707779310144.jpeg

1707779338740.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back