The 12th Doctor's New Sonic Screwdriver

Would it be possible to use the smaller hot glue sticks for the 4 acrylic emitter rods?
It is definitely possible as long as the glue sticks are the correct size. However, I doubt that it is accurate, since Nick Robatto usually uses a type of resin or acrylic plastic for the sonic emitters he was made in the past.

Would it be possible to use the smaller hot glue sticks for the 4 acrylic emitter rods?

Interesting idea - it would diffuse the light well but probably not ideal between the low heat resistance and the chances of finding one the exact width it needs to be. In my model, the length of the four shorter acrylic rods (long enough to be secure in the bottom section and butt up against the LED's located in the most sensible area for them) is 56.5mm while the length of the longer one in the middle is 68.5. It's easy enough to get a hold of acrylic rods the right width and cut them down to the proper length while glue sticks may provide more challenges than makes it worth using them.

For anyone who's interested, I've published my STL files, with build instructions and illustrations, on Youmagine.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/twelfth-doctor-s-sonic-screwdriver

Very nice! That's cool of you to make it available like that - are the files protected - ie someone else can't download them and use them for whatever they want? I mean, obviously they can print the parts but do they have access to the digital files at all beyond that? I had a woman from pinshape contact me about offering a series of 3d printed Philly city blocks I'm doing on Shapeways but I'm hesitant to venture into the world of digital sharing with them. I like the idea of offering a physical model rather than a digital one.

are the files protected - ie someone else can't download them and use them for whatever they want? I mean, obviously they can print the parts but do they have access to the digital files at all beyond that?

I suppose it's always possible for someone to import the STLs into a 3D modeler and modify them, but I'm not really worried about it (after all, I merely copied someone else's design, so I don't feel I can really lay a claim to them as my intellectual property).

Besides, I've benefited from the digital modelling community (for example, the DL-44 blaster I'm working on incorporates bits from a couple of different Mauser models that others have made available), so I feel it's only good citizenship in that community to give something back as well.

I suppose it's always possible for someone to import the STLs into a 3D modeler and modify them, but I'm not really worried about it (after all, I merely copied someone else's design, so I don't feel I can really lay a claim to them as my intellectual property).

Besides, I've benefited from the digital modelling community (for example, the DL-44 blaster I'm working on incorporates bits from a couple of different Mauser models that others have made available), so I feel it's only good citizenship in that community to give something back as well.

That makes sense. I've definitely used models from Grab Cad before for patent illustrations, although they were always for unclaimed portions of design patents so they were merely a placeholder. Personally, I like to build everything myself if I can. Often times, I'll build unclaimed parts of a design patent illustration model from scratch instead of using a preexisting model on account of wanting it all to be my own (and also modeling can be a lot like programming - the way another person does it can be vastly different from your own methods so this can complicate things when using a model someone else made). It's only in cases where the unclaimed parts are too complicated (ie a pair of sunglasses popped in just to illustrate the function of a design made for sunglasses) that I utilize other models that aren't my own.

Personally, I like to build everything myself if I can.

Well, me too. But my wife wants Han Solo's blaster, and though I have a couple of gun-collector friends, neither of them have a Mauser that I could take measurements from. So "pride in self-sufficiency" had to take a back seat to "pride in accuracy" in this case. (The accessories and such, I am doing from scratch, since the voluminous thread here gives me ample information for creating those.)

How did you go about scaling your parts? All of the pieces are listed as being 0x0x0.

Yeah, I noticed that; I'm not sure what's going on there. I modeled it in Blender with the scene units set to metric, exported with "Scene unit" checked (which should therefore export in metric units as well [edit: apparently STL files contain no scale information, so I guess I don't know what that checkbox does after all]), and the STL files all import at the expected size into Cura. When I reimport them into Blender, they also come in at the same size as the originals.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for making the files available!

I also noticed that both NetFabb and my printer software open the files at an odd size. In Netfabb at least, if I scale them up by a factor of 1000 they appear to be a reasonable size (though I'm not sure what is "right" for the various parts).

In Netfabb at least, if I scale them up by a factor of 1000 they appear to be a reasonable size (though I'm not sure what is "right" for the various parts).

Interesting. I exported with a scale of 1000, and it imported into Cura at the same size as the unscaled exports. Looking at ASCII exports to STL, it looks like Blender's exporting with meters as its base unit, and I guess Cura is recognizing that and scaling appropriately. Youmagine and your other software appear to be interpreting the numbers as millimeters, so they're coming out really really tiny.

I've re-exported everything with a scale of 1000 and replaced the files, so everything should look right now. Thanks.

Last edited:
After a couple weeks...the design is growing on me. I like it, it's new, refreshing, but I CAN'T shake the feeling that the bare emitter looks like a...creatures....genitals....in it's extended form.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back