14th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver (spoilers)

I like it. It is kind of a mashup of all of the sonics from the ninth Doctor to twelve's. Kind of reinforces the back to a previous face paradigm. I wonder how long until Rubbertoe puts one up for sale (and how I wish I could afford their sonics).

I like it. It is kind of a mashup of all of the sonics from the ninth Doctor to twelve's. Kind of reinforces the back to a previous face paradigm. I wonder how long until Rubbertoe puts one up for sale (and how I wish I could afford their sonics).
Rubbertoe just put up a 9th/10th Doctor wide slider Sonic, but like you most things they sell are out of my price range.

There are definitely some elements I like - the cracked marble detailing on the handle, for instance. Some I don’t like - the pop out claws…not a fan.

I wonder if RubberToe will be offering these…?

Sean

I'm torn on the design... I love the details, but at the same time, all those details make it almost TOO busy to the eye.

My theory is that this will be a 'reset' Sonic, since it takes so many of the past sonic aesthetics & melds them into this ONE sonic, then the next Doctor will have a super simple one.

Either way, I'll get one of these, but I'd rather upgrade an expected upcoming toy than give Rubbertoe a dime, just based on past history here.

Order the SDCC chromed version here:

Looks like they werent able to get LEDs in the ends of the pedals. But it still looks really accurate.
nic%20Screwdriver%20CPS3%20copy%5B28%5D-aa7492d1bc.jpg

Last edited:
My experience with chromed toys is that the look awful in a year or two. The toys from Abrams Star Trek looked great brand new, in a year two the chrome is faded, pealing off, and you can rub it off with your fingers.

Chromed parts can be great, but in cheap mass market toy it's usually not the greatest chrome and doesn't really last.

They first went up around 2am US time... it showed as sold out when i got to it around 9amcst, and then it popped back in stock. SO id say check back periodically.

It's a shame that the CO toy has to continue the (yes, necessary) trend of making their sonics thicker. I genuinely do like the new design, but the toy just makes it look... bloated? As for the chrome, it's absolutely going to flake in less than a year knowing how kids bash those things around. I'll wait for the non-special edition to come out before slipping one of these in a coat pocket.

I do however really like how they approached the handle crackle on this one though, maybe we could get a re-release of the 9/10 with the updated texture?

Honestly looks pretty damn spot on to me, dimension and proportion wise. Perspectives are a little different here, but still. I also like that its not super long like the 11th, its closer in size to the 10th, when closed.

08036 Doctor Who The Fourteenth Doctors Sonic Screwdriver CPS3 copy[28]-aa7492d1bc.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 2.22.26 PM.png

Last edited:
The body looks like it's made out of thicker plastic to me, but I could just be hallucinating. Given Character's surprising track record of dimensional accuracy with 12 and 13's sonics they might've gotten this one right as well. S'pose we'll have to see!

It looks pretty good dimensionally.

I remember my first store bought sonic screwdriver (4th Doctor). It was based on the technical manual drawings, so it was very inaccurate... and there was a typo in the scale on the drawing so the toy was 12 inches long and the handle was 1.5 inches at the base. It had sound that ran on two AA batteries.

I tell this story because the little nitpicks on these modern toys is very unrealistic. These are so much better than the stuff from the original series. They're not perfect, but they are just toys. There are licensed high end props that are practically perfect, but for a prop to play with and carry in your pocket to sonic your computer when it flakes out these are awesome!!

Ahhh the Spirit of Light sonic, it almost needs a lightsaber stand to display it! Funnily enough, I have a sonic that my father machined using measurements from the technical manual, (in mm not cm) and when I compared it to the 3d model/print I made from screencaps, it wasn't egregiously different! I digress though... Character has put out some fantastic toys in the last decade, and I'll be very happy to have a new addition to the display soon!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back