The 12th Doctor's New Sonic Screwdriver

Yes. Both?

That's doable. The advantage to having the insert for the dial is that the bottom of the sonic rests beneath the main surface of the console so since the dial has stepped tiers, the sonic can rest at its proper position in relation to the port and the port rests on a higher tier in the dial at a position that looks right as far as the height and proportions are concerned. For a stand alone version, I would need to add height and it wouldn't look right.

Here's a section view of the add on for the dial thus far - I'm still working out the way the clear bits for the light will fit in.

wip02.jpg

You can see where the outside of the port ends is much higher than the depth below it to which the butt of the sonic would need to go to be a the proper position. If this was a stand along port stand, the but would need to be much higher and the sonic would either sit too high in the stand or the port would need to be elongated to accommodate the extra height.

View attachment 564520

You can see where the outside of the port ends is much higher than the depth below it to which the butt of the sonic would need to go to be a the proper position. If this was a stand along port stand, the but would need to be much higher and the sonic would either sit too high in the stand or the port would need to be elongated to accommodate the extra height.

So that's the confession disk with the TARDIS console port? It looks pretty good from this view. Impressive work, wish I had those skills.

Very nice! I can't believe how fast you can get this stuff done! You are a true pro that makes a great many things look easy.

you could even make an insert for the dial which looks like the castle he gets stuck in :p have it double as a stand for the screwdriver

As soon as I stumbled across the preproduction plans and "sneak peek" video, I gathered up all the screenshots I could find and fired up Blender. (Doctor Octoroc's mention of the Rubbertoe facebook page also helped immeasurably with those little fiddly bits in the latches). So here's my take on it. Currently sanding down the layer striations while I wait for the paints and acrylic rods to arrive.

It's hollow most of the way through, and unscrews at a couple of points, in hopes that I can add some electronics in later.

Beauty Shot.jpgPieces Parts.jpgTest Fit.jpg

As soon as I stumbled across the preproduction plans and "sneak peek" video, I gathered up all the screenshots I could find and fired up Blender. (Doctor Octoroc's mention of the Rubbertoe facebook page also helped immeasurably with those little fiddly bits in the latches). So here's my take on it. Currently sanding down the layer striations while I wait for the paints and acrylic rods to arrive.

It's hollow most of the way through, and unscrews at a couple of points, in hopes that I can add some electronics in later.

View attachment 564734View attachment 564735View attachment 564736
Can't wait to see it painted and lit!

Daaaaamnnnn. That was fast. If only I had a home 3d printer or immediate access to one :devil you win this round, sir. I do see you took some cues from my model so how 'bout we call it a tie even though mine isn't physically built yet :p

Out of curiosity, did you make the mechanical bits move at all or are they held static in place? I'm waiting until the X-Mas episode to see if they show any functionality or design changes in that area but as of now, I'm planning to print that assembly of bits on each side as a solid part to cut back on printing costs since the place I use charges labor per part - but again, I may revisit this design choice pending new information in the near future or at least make that top large hook with the two smaller hooks attached a separate piece as it appears that is the only point of rotation that allows for movement in the configuration.

Last edited:

This looks great. I wish I had the talent to make my own as well. Alas, I'll just have to wait for someone to do a run.

I do see you took some cues from my model

Sadly, I didn't find this thread until I was Googling for a better view of the latches (which was near the end of my modelling phase). It would have saved me some trouble! Though I did study your cutaway and exploded view with great interest, and considered reworking mine (though in the end, inertia won out). My overall philosophy was to separate parts by material, so I wouldn't have to mask much when painting (as I'm never happy with my results), and to allow parts to be printed with as few overhangs as possible so I don't have to deal with removing and cleaning up after support structures.

Out of curiosity, did you made the mechanical bits move at all or are they held static in place?

I'd originally hoped to make it functional, but I lack the engineering skills. For one thing, the placement of the pins through the whole assembly locks down the parts that I would have used to create/release tension so the hooks don't just swing free; but also, I'm not sure I could make it hold the thing together securely enough without it snapping those tiny pieces of plastic. (If I were making it out of aluminum, maybe the latter concern wouldn't be an issue, but this is just PLA.)

as of now, I'm planning to print that assembly of bits on each side as a solid part to cut back on printing costs since the place I use charges labor per part

I'd've loved to print that block as a single part, but since my printer is FDM, I'd need to use all sorts of fugly supports (which I can never seem to clean up well enough).

I'd've loved to print that block as a single part, but since my printer is FDM, I'd need to use all sorts of fugly supports (which I can never seem to clean up well enough).

Yeah, that's one advantage of SLS, is you can print any form as long as there is an escape hole large enough. On the downside, home SLS printers are non-existent as the safety precautions required when dealing with the nylon powder aren't suited to be implemented in the home.

Sadly, I didn't find this thread until I was Googling for a better view of the latches (which was near the end of my modelling phase). It would have saved me some trouble! Though I did study your cutaway and exploded view with great interest, and considered reworking mine (though in the end, inertia won out). My overall philosophy was to separate parts by material, so I wouldn't have to mask much when painting (as I'm never happy with my results), and to allow parts to be printed with as few overhangs as possible so I don't have to deal with removing and cleaning up after support structures.

I'd originally hoped to make it functional, but I lack the engineering skills. For one thing, the placement of the pins through the whole assembly locks down the parts that I would have used to create/release tension so the hooks don't just swing free; but also, I'm not sure I could make it hold the thing together securely enough without it snapping those tiny pieces of plastic. (If I were making it out of aluminum, maybe the latter concern wouldn't be an issue, but this is just PLA.)

But damn, did your model come close to mine. I guess we have a lot of similar takes on the design, which is good to see as it only confirms what we've each determined from the source material on our own - independent confirmation, as it were.

What were you hoping for in the way of electronics? I can't tell for sure from the photo of the pieces all laid out but it definitely seems that your walls are well thicker than mine, which is nice for weight and durability but doesn't leave as much room inside. I have found though that there is quite a bit of room inside of the main body part for a board, switch, etc so even with thicker walls, you should be able to figure something out. I'm working with another member now to implement their electronics into my model and even a custom package like the one they're putting together, there is room to spare for wires and such. I mean, even a simple switch, LED series and battery pack would suffice for a solid illumination effect. You could even gut the 9th/10th CO sonic and add four LED's to the circuit for a simple DIY job and have sound as well.

I guess we have a lot of similar takes on the design, which is good to see as it only confirms what we've each determined from the source material on our own - independent confirmation, as it were.

Yes. And the fact that the plans had actual measurements on them probably helped immensely with the similarities; the bits that deviated in the finished props* were fairly obvious, like the rounded cutouts rather than square.

(* I'm pretty sure there are at least two; not only did the "sneak peek" video show two end parts being made, but one shot showed a smooth, all-aluminum switch, and another showed the bit with the inset brass ridges.)

What were you hoping for in the way of electronics?

Probably nothing fancy; with my <sarcasm>vast electronics knowledge</sarcasm>, I could just about manage a superbright blue LED to light them all up at once. It's basically "It might be nice to do this someday", but it's mainly just going to sit in a display case with my other sonics (some of which are the commonly available toys, but I modeled Three's, Four's, and Eight's from Phase Pistol's plans and had them printed).

Yes. And the fact that the plans had actual measurements on them probably helped immensely with the similarities; the bits that deviated in the finished props* were fairly obvious, like the rounded cutouts rather than square.

(* I'm pretty sure there are at least two; not only did the "sneak peek" video show two end parts being made, but one shot showed a smooth, all-aluminum switch, and another showed the bit with the inset brass ridges.)

Probably nothing fancy; with my <sarcasm>vast electronics knowledge</sarcasm>, I could just about manage a superbright blue LED to light them all up at once. It's basically "It might be nice to do this someday", but it's mainly just going to sit in a display case with my other sonics (some of which are the commonly available toys, but I modeled Three's, Four's, and Eight's from Phase Pistol's plans and had them printed).

Is that the 8th's movie sonic or his alternate Dark Eyes/Big Finish version? I did the alternate last year and would be curious to see another 3d printed version, especially by someone with the same modeling 'tastes' as myself haha.

Haha, yup. That sonic is a beast.

Well, that, plus my existing case is already going to start looking a bit crowded with this one (which will be the tenth). But I suppose if I move to a bigger case, I can add in Romana's and the Next Doctor's.

Anyway, here's an exploded view of mine, just for fun:
Capaldi Exploded 1.png

Well, that, plus my existing case is already going to start looking a bit crowded with this one (which will be the tenth). But I suppose if I move to a bigger case, I can add in Romana's and the Next Doctor's.

Anyway, here's an exploded view of mine, just for fun:
View attachment 564945

Nice! I love exploded views. I supply clients with them even when they don't ask haha. I love seeing the way things go together, and I like seeing the differences between our choices.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back