The 12th Doctor's New Sonic Screwdriver

It sucks for Australians the ozzy distributors don't get it till the end of the year sure the who shop has it for 50 Ausy dollars with postage which is pretty good but that is the only one that sells to Aus for a decent price CO ships but with like $80 postage

I live in Australia and preordered one from Forbidden Planet which is 14.99 GBP which converts to $30 AUD plus $20 shipping from the UK. So yeah, we lucked out with distribution but that probably would have been different if ABC shops were still around.

Got mine in. No stupid pen nub, no ugly battery door, no copyright information moulded into to base of it. It is just a perfect replica of what's seen on screen! Sadly it's an absolutely perfect replica of the ugliest sonic to date.

Ugly is in the spleen of the beholder. There are aspects of the design I love and parts less so. I was surprised as how comfortable it is in the hand. It also looks right that it plugs into the console.

Looking at pictures of the toy and the Rubbertoe It almost looks like they should have flipped the screws/pins on the silver parts in the mid sector or the whole piece as looking at it from the bottom they actually look more true to size and with a spot of gold paint might look more accurate? Lol this is a very minor thing and not something to stress too much over but I wondered if they could be flipped? Haven't gotten mine to look at yet.

Compare12_zpserhxnkwy.png

I got mine too! Yay. Now to build a holder to display my three sonics. Not sure why I'm bothering, I'm just going to have to build another bigger holder later...

Looking at pictures of the toy and the Rubbertoe It almost looks like they should have flipped the screws/pins on the silver parts in the mid sector or the whole piece as looking at it from the bottom they actually look more true to size and with a spot of gold paint might look more accurate? Lol this is a very minor thing and not something to stress too much over but I wondered if they could be flipped? Haven't gotten mine to look at yet.

View attachment 629019

It might be worth a look inside but seeing how the side bits are a solid piece shared with the center ring around the main body, I'm assuming that there are cuts within the sonic to accommodate the innards that make it asymmetrical from front to back so if you were able to flip it and everything fit right on the outside it would probably still require some extensive modding of the inside form.

Yeah I didn't know how much there would be involved as mine is still on the way just thought looking at it, swapping it might make it that much closer...I also wondered if there was any way to swap the lights so they would go in the right direction but that's probably unlikely...

View attachment 629019

Agreed that the large end of those pins should have faced the back face of the sonic - I had been thinking the same thing about a bit of gold paint :)

It turns out that the whole thing is rather easy to turn around! You just remove the two screws below the claw assemblies to have that part come loose:

A couple small mods are necessary. There are two tabs, with one slightly wider than the other - the wider one just has to be trimmed down a bit on both sides (right photo above) for the end section to fit back into place after rotating it 180 degrees.

The other issue is that the sound escape holes are under one claw assembly, and not the other. For this mod you just need to Dremel away some of the interior of the opposite claw in a similar manner.

Awesome, thanks for the pics and tips! I wondered if they had intended them to go the other way but given what you said about the mods I guess not... That vid was the first time I saw the bottom and thought they looked closer to the real thing so cool. :) Will have to try this without destroying the thing! :) I wonder are the lights in the forward section individually mounted or is that section accessable at all? Wondered if the order could just be changed lol.

Agreed that the large end of those pins should have faced the back face of the sonic - I had been thinking the same thing about a bit of gold paint :)

It turns out that the whole thing is rather easy to turn around! You just remove the two screws below the claw assemblies to have that part come loose:

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7623/27225848261_46ae97ae29_c.jpg

A couple small mods are necessary. There are two tabs, with one slightly wider than the other - the wider one just has to be trimmed down a bit on both sides (right photo above) for the end section to fit back into place after rotating it 180 degrees.

The other issue is that the sound escape holes are under one claw assembly, and not the other. For this mod you just need to Dremel away some of the interior of the opposite claw in a similar manner.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7623/27225848261_46ae97ae29_c.jpg

Oh, nice! Yeah I figured there would be some modding but nice to know it's not extensive.

Awesome, thanks for the pics and tips! I wondered if they had intended them to go the other way but given what you said about the mods I guess not... That vid was the first time I saw the bottom and thought they looked closer to the real thing so cool. :) Will have to try this without destroying the thing! :) I wonder are the lights in the forward section individually mounted or is that section accessable at all? Wondered if the order could just be changed lol.

No problem! I suppose it's possible the speaker vents or pin heads somehow ended up on the wrong side during manufacturing, necessitating the part be rotated 180 degrees from what was originally intended. Otherwise it's a strange choice when the rest of it is so close to the originals.

I'll pop it open tomorrow to check how the LEDs are mounted but if they're on a board I don't think the direction would be easily reversed. I guess we haven't seen the thing enough on the show that the direction bothers me right now :)

Oh, nice! Yeah I figured there would be some modding but nice to know it's not extensive.

Yeah, super easy! :D A Dremel to add speaker vents, a gold leaf pen to color the pins, and snips to trim that tab.

That turned out great! Nice job! Odd that with being as close as it is and really without changing much they could have gotten that much closer with a flip of the part. Yeah it hasn't really been seen enough yet for the lights to look wrong I just checked the vid when it was mentioned and looks like it's true thought they look to chase pretty quick. Actually I didn't think they were wrong at first but the vid I first watched was actually flipped backwards lol.

Really nice job though, really wish mine would get here! :)

No problem! I suppose it's possible the speaker vents or pin heads somehow ended up on the wrong side during manufacturing, necessitating the part be rotated 180 degrees from what was originally intended. Otherwise it's a strange choice when the rest of it is so close to the originals.

I'll pop it open tomorrow to check how the LEDs are mounted but if they're on a board I don't think the direction would be easily reversed. I guess we haven't seen the thing enough on the show that the direction bothers me right now :)

Yeah, super easy! :D A Dremel to add speaker vents, a gold leaf pen to color the pins, and snips to trim that tab.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7200/27265031546_251c1e7a10_c.jpg

That turned out great! Nice job! Odd that with being as close as it is and really without changing much they could have gotten that much closer with a flip of the part. Yeah it hasn't really been seen enough yet for the lights to look wrong I just checked the vid when it was mentioned and looks like it's true thought they look to chase pretty quick. Actually I didn't think they were wrong at first but the vid I first watched was actually flipped backwards lol.

Really nice job though, really wish mine would get here! :)

I'm guessing that the flipped pins are on account of the assembly process. Could be it was easier/cheaper to have the pins as well as other components fed through the front instead of the back, or vice versa. I'm not familiar with mass-product manufacturing but I have minimal experience with product design and know how often the process can affect the design of the final product.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back