Suicide Squad

And Heath was just doing a bad Tom Waits impersonation. Certainly didn't take a thing away from the performance.

I don't hear Ledger's joker at all in Leto's.. what is it... 13 words of dialogue in this trailer?
Yeah like taking a completely unrelated personality and using it as inspiration in a movie performance is anything like copying the inflection and tones of the last guy who played the role you are now playing.

Ledger played the part well but his take on the character didn't scream out "This is The Joker!" to me. I still think the ultimate live action Joker has yet to be seen. Leto looks interesting in the role and not at all like Ledger, and if Leto doesn't lick his lips every 3 seconds that's a plus in my book.

Yeah like taking a completely unrelated personality and using it as inspiration in a movie performance is anything like copying the inflection and tones of the last guy who played the role you are now playing.

You clearly missed my point so allow me to dumb it down for you....

I quite clearly said I don't hear Ledger in Leto's Joker. That was the only comparison I made in my post.

What I was implying is that Ledger was impersonating someone himself, and he did perfectly fine. Next time you fire off with your oh so smart overtly sarcastic reply, perhaps read the comment in question first, eh?

I read your comment, and I don't care if you don't hear ledger in letos joker. I and many other people do. NOT IMPRESSED. WAITING TO SEE MORE. DON'T REALLY CARE ANYWAY. ARGUMENT ENDED.

Ledger played the part well but his take on the character didn't scream out "This is The Joker!" to me. I still think the ultimate live action Joker has yet to be seen. Leto looks interesting in the role and not at all like Ledger, and if Leto doesn't lick his lips every 3 seconds that's a plus in my book.

Couldn't say it better myself. Loved Ledger, but he wasn't the Joker I am still waiting for.

Ledger played the part well but his take on the character didn't scream out "This is The Joker!" to me. I still think the ultimate live action Joker has yet to be seen.

I don't mean to be rude in this response (nor do I intend to be, and I apologize if it comes off as such). Actually, all aspects of the Joker will be officially seen on screen (be it TV or movie) in live action. You had Cesar Romero who played The Clown side of the Joker. You had Jack Nicholson who played the gangster side of the Joker. Ledger played the anarchist side. And now, Leto is playing the psychotic side of Joker.

By how it sounds to me, what you're really waiting for is someone to play the Joker with all those sides in one package. I could very well be wrong with this interpretation of the various portrayals of the Joker and what you may actually be waiting for. However, as long as there's still a fan base, there's always the likelihood a definitive Joker will come along or at least a Joker you feel is close enough to being THE Joker.

there's always the likelihood a definitive Joker will come along or at least a Joker you feel is close enough to being THE Joker.

Already had two jokers that were very clearly THE joker. Heath ledger on screen, and Mark Hamill on TV/GAMES. We don't need another joker, I know they will keep making these movies because money. But we don't need another joker, we already got the best we were going to get. Only comic book character to be recognized by the academy, and there's reason for that.

Already had two jokers that were very clearly THE joker. Heath ledger on screen, and Mark Hamill on TV/GAMES. We don't need another joker, I know they will keep making these movies because money. But we don't need another joker, we already got the best we were going to get. Only comic book character to be recognized by the academy, and there's reason for that.
You don't think his untimely passing had a tiny bit to do with that?

Last edited:
I don't mean to be rude in this response (nor do I intend to be, and I apologize if it comes off as such). Actually, all aspects of the Joker will be officially seen on screen (be it TV or movie) in live action. You had Cesar Romero who played The Clown side of the Joker. You had Jack Nicholson who played the gangster side of the Joker. Ledger played the anarchist side. And now, Leto is playing the psychotic side of Joker.
That's a nonsense typing of the characters (clown, gangster, etc) that reduces those roles to little, convenient, throwaway words made popular by a meme passed around on social media and other sites.

It also labels the latest version of the Joker as psychotic - which all of the previous versions also showed signs of.

That's a nonsense typing of the characters (clown, gangster, etc) that reduces those roles to little, convenient, throwaway words made popular by a meme passed around on social media and other sites.

It also labels the latest version of the Joker as psychotic - which all of the previous versions also showed signs of.

Its a broad characterisation sure but it isn't nonsense.

Its a broad characterisation sure but it isn't nonsense.
It sure is nonsense. Clown, anarchist, psychotic are all nonsensical in the sense that these traits apply to all of the on-screen Jokers. Even more nonsensical is the idea that the latest Joker is "psychotic" - when we've seen images and clips of what sounds like a Ledger impersonation.

Someone threw these titles on a meme, so people think it's "cool."

It sure is nonsense. Clown, anarchist, psychotic are all nonsensical in the sense that these traits apply to all of the on-screen Jokers. Even more nonsensical is the idea that the latest Joker is "psychotic" - when we've seen images and clips of what sounds like a Ledger impersonation.

Someone threw these titles on a meme, so people think it's "cool."

"meme" this and "meme" that. We get it, you know what a meme is, and don't appreciate the overwhelming stupidity of the general internet public who use them as dictionaries. I don't believe the original poster of this point was using these words as a result of a meme at all. They expressed a fairly valid opinion which matches up (broadly) to the jokers that were portrayed. I am not saying that these jokers ONLY exhibited these facets. Hence..broadly. But it is not nonsense in the slightest.

And this ledger impersonation thing I'm not getting into again - I disagree, but that's all down to perception, so fair enough. Don't quite see what image you've seen that validates your point though. Looks nothing like him, and IMO sounds nothing like him either. (ONE laugh, and 14 words. definitely enough to make an assumption about an impersonation...not)

"meme" this and "meme" that. We get it, you know what a meme is, and don't appreciate the overwhelming stupidity of the general internet public who use them as dictionaries. I don't believe the original poster of this point was using these words as a result of a meme at all. They expressed a fairly valid opinion which matches up (broadly) to the jokers that were portrayed. I am not saying that these jokers ONLY exhibited these facets. Hence..broadly. But it is not nonsense in the slightest.
So the original poster managed to quote this meme (and the other variations that followed) exactly? What a coincidence. :facepalm

You're free to feel that this was the OP's valid, original opinion - even if it was pure nonsense that he saw someplace else and reused here.

And since you're not getting into the Ledger rip-off again - I won't either, even if when Leto talked he sounded like an impersonation of Heath Ledger's Oscar-winning performance of the Joker... no assumptions made, just an observation based on 14 words.

So the original poster managed to quote this meme (and the other variations that followed) exactly?

sorry to interject, but I wouldn't call that a meme. In fact I just googled joker meme and I'm pretty sure that didn't even show up in images.

however i do agree that its accurate in its description of each version of the character, but purely in a broad sense.
Sort of in a "pick one word to describe" kind of way, those to me at least seem appropriate.

sorry to interject, but I wouldn't call that a meme. In fact I just googled joker meme and I'm pretty sure that didn't even show up in images.
I might agree that it's not the typical impact fonted, in your face meme that we see all over the place. But, it fits the idea of what a meme is.. it's not hard to see that image (or variations of it) in a google search with the term meme. In fact, I initially struggled with even calling this a meme at first... but, it fits what a meme is.

"...an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture"

Based on how often I saw this image (social media and various blog-type sites) it was definitely a concept that spread.
however i do agree that its accurate in its description of each version of the character, but purely in a broad sense.
Sort of in a "pick one word to describe" kind of way, those to me at least seem appropriate.
I find it devalues the character(s) in a very basic fashion. Calling the newest version of the Joker psychotic (based on mere seconds) - where clearly ALL of the Joker's pictured were psychotic isn't a smart assessment.

I might agree that it's not the typical impact fonted, in your face meme that we see all over the place. But, it fits the idea of what a meme is.. it's not hard to see that image (or variations of it) in a google search with the term meme. In fact, I initially struggled with even calling this a meme at first... but, it fits what a meme is.

"...an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture"

Based on how often I saw this image (social media and various blog-type sites) it was definitely a concept that spread.

I find it devalues the character(s) in a very basic fashion. Calling the newest version of the Joker psychotic (based on mere seconds) - where clearly ALL of the Joker's pictured were psychotic isn't a smart assessment.

I was more referring to the previous versions. However a single word description is really all that could be appropriated to Letos joker at this time, simply because we have only had a few second. I think were I to pick, I would have gone with sadistic over psychotic based purely on his actions in the trailer.

and boy, you really do like letting people know that you know what a meme is don't you. :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back