Fan Reaction To Jar Jar Almost Led An Actor To Suicide

Honestly I take his story as a chance for him to stand with solidarity with others who have experienced backlash from vocal critics who take it too far and use it as an excuse to spout hatred that stems from more than just dislike of a character.

I also think the resolution of his experience and the fact that he could walk across the bridge with his son years later proves that despite being in that dark place after he dealt with his issues he is essentially telling others that there is light at the end of the tunnel. The fact that he has a son means he was able to find a way to move on with his life and I'm really happy for him.

Without devolving into politics for fear of getting banned I will say this. I do believe there are some celebrities that use hot button political issues to jump start a long dead career, but my gut tells me that Ahmed is not one of them. The guy has more class than that and as I said before I would genuinely love to meet him.

Being someone who has battled depression all of my adult life I would want to thank him for talking about his experience.

But media did exist. The internet, in 1999 was in many American households.

But the inherent side effect of any social movement is that people use it to gain personal attention, by lying.

Why wait until now? Just like with so many of the rape accusations of the metoo movement, waiting for the statute of limitations has expired before speaking up seems disingenuous. It's not something I understand.

The internet of 1999 was virtually a wholly different thing than it is now.

Sure, some do. I'll concede that many people could use any movement as a cover. That doesn't the make solidarity of those who are truly affected any less valid.

Sometimes misplaced shame/blame can make a victim wait, if they ever come forward at all. Sometimes it takes years to process and finally understand that regardless of the damage it could potentially do to the perpetrator, the victim shouldn't have to carry the burden of someone else's secret.

I remember being at a Star Trek convention in 1990. Gates McFadden was the featured celebrity that was there that weekend.

I clearly remember an audience member asking her what it was like to work with an android. And sadly, they were dead serious!

To her credit she smiled and said “ it can be a real pain when his batteries die halfway through a scene and we have to drag him over, plug him in, and let him charge up before he can finish. It makes the shooting schedule that much longer, and it drags those days out horribly!”

At another convention I went in costume as lieutenant Worf. There was a woman who followed me around the convention center for an hour and a half. She finally came up to me and thought that I was Michael Dorn, but more than that, she thought he was actually a Klingon, and that Star Trek was the Klingons way of testing the water through the television to see who would be a good candidate to survive their invasion. She would not leave my side, promising that she would do whatever was necessary to survive the invasion. I finally shook her loose when I told her I had to go to a planning Council meeting where humans were not allowed, but not to worry that I considered her as worthy and she would be a survivor when we came to conquer earth. I knew she was not fooling with me, when she tried to grab a piece of paper and write down her address for me so I would know where she was. I looked at her, smiled and said, do you really think I don’t know where you are? She sighed a breath of relief, and smiled and left.

I think to a large degree, it is the same type of people who spew that much hatred and vile! Maybe their lines between fantasy and reality have not been blurred to this degree, but they are definitely blurry!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back