Patty Jenkins Star Wars ‘Rogue Squadron’ Movie *CREATIVE DIFFERENCES & SHELVED*

I'm guessing the financial reality of the current cultural trends is finally starting to set in, and "Introducing a new generation of starfighter pilots" will end up being shelved.
Bingo. If they tackled it like the Battlestar Galactica it would work. But Disney films usually have a specific mold that's like a square peg in a round hole when it comes to Star Wars.

I feel no loss in shelving it, nor did I feel any excitement about seeing it.

Actually, I’m not currently looking forward to any of the upcoming films or series. :/

Even if it contradicts the OT? Wedge is Red Leader after Yavin. Luke is Red 5 all the way until his fighter is retired. It still has those markings when he goes into exile decades after ROTJ. He is the commander of Rogue Group in ESB, but whatever that is it is something other than the starfighter squadron he and Wedge belong to.

Even if it contradicts the OT? Wedge is Red Leader after Yavin. Luke is Red 5 all the way until his fighter is retired. It still has those markings when he goes into exile decades after ROTJ. He is the commander of Rogue Group in ESB, but whatever that is it is something other than the starfighter squadron he and Wedge belong to.
If I’m not mistaken in the old EU books Wedge forms Rogue Squadron post ROTJ. As far as I know they aren’t referred to as such until that point.

Edit: Nevermind, Wookieepedia has their formation as 1ABY.

That said, with things that are purely canon now, the group is yet to be formed/named, and I personally believe that it was going to be post TROS in this now delayed movie. Which your feelings on the ST aside shouldnt be an issue and affect the OT in any way.

In the old EU, Luke formed Rogue Squadron after the Battle of Yavin, with Wedge's help. He leads them in the Battle of Hoth to protect the Rebels' evacuation. When he was turning to more Jedi things prior to the Battle of Endor, Wedge stepped in as commander of Rogue Squadron, renamed it Red Squadron for the battle in honor of his fallen comrades in defeating the first battle station, and remained the unit's commander into the New Republic era. The fact that Luke is flying Red 5 throughout isn't noticed or addressed. It was... clunky.
That said, with things that are purely canon now, the group is yet to be formed/named, and I personally believe that it was going to be post TROS in this now delayed movie. Which your feelings on the ST aside shouldnt be an issue and affect the OT in any way.
Except Jenkins' teaser showed an old T-65 and her in a Rogue One flight suit. Both no longer in use as of the ST, let alone after it. Incom is making T-85 X-Wings now, as see in the Resistance animated series. And even if the New Republic is a goner and their colors/insignia aren't used, the flight gear is several generations beyond what was worn in the OT. There were ST fighters and flight suits available if that was the era it was going to be set in. What little has been mentioned so far points -- if it points anywhere -- to OT-concurrent or just after ROTJ.

Mostly my torch carrying for this being post TROS stems from the belief that to “heal” the ST they need to keep rolling and move past it. I’m also personally getting tired of all the in-betwequel content that surrounds the OT.

Mm. That's been my beef with everything since ROTJ came out. The Ewok movies were set way before the films, but tween me didn't catch that. It wasn't explicit. I thought they were set after the trilogy because they came out after the trilogy. Then the cartoons came out. Ewoks was still ambiguous, but Droids was definitely set before the films. Then Phantom Menace came out. It's been remarked on that the episode number appears nowhere on the movie posters for the OT, but is on all three PT films' posters, and more than twice the size of the episode titles themselves. Because either people didn't get -- or Lucasfilm was afraid they wouldn't get -- that these new movies are set before the original Star Wars trilogy.

Then we jumped back to between II and III with Clone Wars. Then we jumped up to post-ROTJ with TFA. Then back to between III and IV with Rogue One, then up to after TFA with TLJ, then back to between III and RO with Solo, then...

Ugh.

I could definitely get behind Wedge and Lando overseeing the formation of a new government-type coalition of planets, and Wedge forming Rogue Squadron in honor of his unit from the Galactic Civil War. I just don't currently have faith in TPTB at Lucasfilm to be that creative...

Last edited:
There’s a lot of era whiplash for sure. Your last point is exactly what I wanted this “new generation of pilots” to be. A deliberate effort by the NR to not repeat their mistakes, and to bring the galaxy together through a political/military effort that takes the form of Rogue Squadron.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back