Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

I think you and I are the only ones who would notice, not even daft punk themselves :lol

I really hope they tour when the new TRON album comes out. I'd like to walk into the crowd wearing my helmet to see what happens...

On topic, I didn't get a chance to try making the new ear puck, but I DID finalize my PCBs. Thats right, electronics planning is DONE (with the small exception of the controller board, which I haven't started on yet... I have about 3 days to do that but I wanted to knock these out first)

Ok, here's how this works. The Arduino sends out signal to all of these boards, and the LEDs draw through a series of 2n2222 transistors from a series of 9v batteries. Four 9Vs will power the helmet as well as the logic board.

The Arduino goes directly to the "Shift Register" board, which houses the IC chips that take the 3 digital output channels and convert them to 32 channels of control. Size: 1.2" x 2.2"

3775990596_2fb6b869d1.jpg

A DB25 cable carries the signal, while a 2-wire connector from the 9V supply carries power up from this control box to the helmet itself. The logic board, 9V batteries, and the board above will be placed elsewhere on the wearer (likely a jacket pocket) to make changing batteries easier, as well as free up much needed space in the helmet. The DB25 and power terminate at the "signal switching" board. Size: 1.2" x 2.55"

3775185395_5ef1b53af1.jpg

There are 3 plugs on here which take the DB25 signal and send it out to various other boards. The 14-pin connector goes to the "Chin Transistor" board, the 8-pin feeds the "color bars" boards, and the 6-pin supplies the "ear transistor" board with power. Both the ear and chin boards have their transistors housed on more distribution block boards, while the color bar boards all house their transistors on the boards themselves.

Chin Transistor board - 1.70" x 1.5"
3775990676_653eb5b104.jpg

Ear Transistor board - 1.4" x 0.7"
3775990260_129af73530.jpg

Color bar LED boards - 2.6" x 0.4"
3775990536_f25c915137.jpg

Chin LED boards - 3.45" x 2.5"
3775185047_3c62c9102c.jpg

Ear LED boards - 1.9" x 0.4"
3775185133_66fceefe41.jpg

Order went in today at www.batchpcb.com so hopefully I can have these in-hand in 3 weeks and start on my crazy soldering.

These boards are only showing the top copper layer and silkscreen for preview purposes. If anyone's curious, I'm designing these boards in CADSoft's EAGLE PCB layout program. Maybe not the most intuitive program in the world, but definitely a very powerful tool.

Impressive stuff. Still way over my head. Are you going to need a "backpack" or is this all going to be "in-helmet" ?

Did you decide what you're going to do about the chin?

Are you going to need a "backpack" or is this all going to be "in-helmet" ?

Did you decide what you're going to do about the chin?

A pack, but not a backpack, per se. The controller and batteries will be housed in a box about the size of a pack and a half of cigarettes.

The chin is going to stay parallel to the visor, squared off at the front edges. I'll have pics up later. Also, I tried doing a mockup of the ear discs as was suggested earlier, but it looked way off to have the disc of the ear cone going up the side of the "D" shape. I'm under a time crunch unfortunately, so they're staying as is, slightly undersized.

Molding has hit a couple of snags. I wasn't able to go to silicone last weekend because my rubber I ordered didn't come in until yesterday. I was going to go to mold today, but I set the helmet on a stand to have a couple small parts of spot filler dry overnight... and another larger project of mine fell on it, knocking it off my worktable and onto my concrete garage floor.

This cracked the areas around both of the ear "D" shaped pieces, as well as making a rather large gouge in the visor and rear hoop on the helmet. I was up until about 3am last night filling these spots but I've lost a lot of time to that mishap.

Hopefully I can get the piece under rubber today like I was hoping, but I'll need to get a coat of primer on it first to see if my repairs last night need any finesse. The real killer is that about 95% of the piece had been wetsanded down to 600 grit in prep for molding, and now I have to do all of that again...

Man that stinks.

Did your Laser Rifle fall on it? That looks like its going to be awesome :D

Good luck with the fix! I can't wait to see this thing done!

No... something much larger...

3788741163_31e765e462_b.jpg

I'm just happy it didn't hit this, which sits on the other side of my garage:

Outside_05.png

WOW. Can I take a field trip inside your garage? Seriously, you make the coolest stuff. Its like you pick all the things that I wish I could have and you make them :lol That's a nice rig, too!

Ooo, it sort of boggles the mind to think that helmets are generally designed to take a bit of abuse, but then they do, it's no fun.

This is high quality work for an independant project. Can't say I'm as much a fan of the front end of your BMW :)

Its done! No more sanding!

3796118153_e1c0f9aa34_b.jpg

3796117899_6e929aeb72_b.jpg

3796117773_11a68e52b8_b.jpg

First coat of silicone is setting up as we speak

That's one of the most amazing sculpts I have ever seen. You've done a fantastic job. I can't WAIT to see it complete with electronics.

Its done! No more sanding!

3796118153_e1c0f9aa34_b.jpg

3796117899_6e929aeb72_b.jpg

3796117773_11a68e52b8_b.jpg

First coat of silicone is setting up as we speak

Oh VERY nice! Is there any chance of you selling these without lights in them? I'm a huge fan of the Electroma film and I like the nice clean look of the non lighted helmets.

Satan almighty, that is just beautiful!

Awesome car, too. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back