Luke Skywalker’s Return of the Jedi lightsabers (a primer)

Top: Hero 1.38 diameter
Middle: V2 1.5 diameter
Bottom: Shared Stunt 1.5 diameter

rotjsaber-vi.jpg

Shared Stunt being used as a stand-in during rehearsal:

1_510042659023050_1369330259_o-vi.jpg

Shared Stunt:

storicVisitOriginalPropBlog069-vi.jpg

storicVisitOriginalPropBlog071-vi.jpg

And just for fun V2 in ANH, being rigged for the 'Kenobi-getting-cut-in-half' effect:

obi_wan_saber-vi.jpg

Cross post from the V2 thread here. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=1862&page=9&p=3636998&viewfull=1#post3636998

Hi - (apologies if this has ever been mentioned before) but after many hours scouring over these Luke ROTJ sabers, it recently struck me as to perhaps why the control box on the 'Hero' is in such an awkward and odd position. As well known, it almost lines up with the belt ring (even when 1st appearing as the Yuma stunt) which (despite being a stunt with blade), would make it impractical to wear as the box would always be banging against the wearer. Considering its origins as an Obi-Wan stunt/copy - the two holes holding the control box would almost line up with the transistor/squre holes on a Graflex band if one was to be positioned in place. Possibly these holes were then used to fix a roughly detailed box on the saber without making new holes - and then the more detailed boxes added later as the 'Hero' - disregarding the Tri-ring and keeping the rest of the saber body clean and unmarked. What do people think?

A few things to add, for completeness:
* The closeup of the ISYHCANL was shot separately, with someone else than Dave Prowse in the Vader suit.
* There is also a version in the archives with a real copper neck but bare aluminium "wind vane".

Sounds plausible except the Hero was a brand new machined saber so I doubt they would have added the holes for the non-apparent transistors ... but you could be on to something ... it did always bug me why the Tri-ring was in the same position as the activation box . . . is it simply more likely that the pommelcubes or the pommel as a whole can be twisted around ... thus ending up in that position during filming?

Chaim

Hi - (apologies if this has ever been mentioned before) but after many hours scouring over these Luke ROTJ sabers, it recently struck me as to perhaps why the control box on the 'Hero' is in such an awkward and odd position. As well known, it almost lines up with the belt ring (even when 1st appearing as the Yuma stunt) which (despite being a stunt with blade), would make it impractical to wear as the box would always be banging against the wearer. Considering its origins as an Obi-Wan stunt/copy - the two holes holding the control box would almost line up with the transistor/squre holes on a Graflex band if one was to be positioned in place. Possibly these holes were then used to fix a roughly detailed box on the saber without making new holes - and then the more detailed boxes added later as the 'Hero' - disregarding the Tri-ring and keeping the rest of the saber body clean and unmarked. What do people think?
Very good thinking. I'll have to disagree though, the only transistors we see are on that bladed hanging prop from ANh. Even the V2 and Shared Stunt share no sign of transistors. When the hero/Yuma was made they never included transistors in the design, and the dummy control box came first. There was nothing else on that part of the body, at least nothing I've seen!

Thanks Guys, guess we'll never truly know. As an additional note I have very kindly had a couple of Hero bodies machined by my Father in law and after some head scratching over plans finished both. Recently spotted a Hero from SD Studios on ebay (321880431383) and after some conversation with Stephen discovered they were the precursors to the 2002 MR versions - he measured in person the original prop and has the overall length including nipple at 11 inches exactly, plus the main body diameter at 37mm and the grip diameter at 35mm!
I have worked from both sets of plans posted on the RPF with red amendments and these differ again, making the length back to the MR size! Looking at his SD version (2 of 6), the grip rings are all even (which I personally am not so keen on), and the belt ring is not set deep enough. These sizes on the body now split the difference between both previous plans!
Happy with my versions however especially as I cut the pommel blocks myself on a bandsaw as no milling machine avalable. Just thought this may help others considering sizes.

Necro posting to share an awesome picture. The ISYHCANL or Yuma saber in the hands of Vader's stand-in during the shot in California, reflective material covering the blade..

DVStandIN.jpg

Also, for your viewing pleasure, some good shots of the Yuma, and a weird funny V2 shot with rebel soldiers capturing Luke, not previously posted here.

ROTJYuma.jpgrebelhostage.jpgrotjwhat?.jpgYumacut.jpg

So, we've established that the ISYHCANL scene version has the black buttons (see here)... is there ever a time that we can see if there are arrows? Or is it fair to say those were added because they needed blinkies for the construction scene?

Last edited:
Here's another question. What was the purpose of the resin copy(copies?) of the final hero lightsaber? Not the ones shot out of R2; I mean the ones that went on tour:

attachment.php

If the lightsaber construction scene was the last thing shot, why would you need additional stunt copies? Was it a 'just in case' thing? Promo pics or for displays like we're seeing with the replicas on display at Launch Bay?

That's a really good question. If you look at the control box, these were cast after the sail barge scenes, which had a fake or dummy control box.
There was most likely a resin stunt there on set but it looked different.
It was even cast after the close-ups in california, with the nicer control box.

That height means they raised the activation plate for the construction scene and then cast this. as to why...well you may be right. It was the final iteration of this prop and they probably wanted copies.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I ahve searched but couldn't find anything.
Can someone tell me what the acronym ISYHCANL stands for, assuming it is an acronym?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back