Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Apr 1, 2018, 11:07 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #801

I would say that the designs are too similar for there to be no relationship. Although if they bought saberforge parts, or just copied the design from a google image search, it's hard to tell.

Perhaps they used a saberforge saber for the fx light up hilt. It would make sense since it's already engineered to accept a blade and house electronics, and then they copied the design (except for the pommel) for the close up hero shots of the hilt itself. Just a thought, but who knows.

(You know, they could have just given me a ring. I'd have sent them as many v2 hilts as they wanted )
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2018, 11:08 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #802

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    I would say that the designs are too similar for there to be no relationship. Although if they bought saberforge parts, or just copied the design from a google image search, it's hard to tell.

Perhaps they used a saberforge saber for the fx light up hilt. It would make sense since it's already engineered to accept a blade and house electronics, and then they copied the design (except for the pommel) for the close up hero shots of the hilt itself. Just a thought, but who knows.

(You know, they could have just given me a ring. I'd have sent them as many v2 hilts as they wanted )
    Iíve been waiting for you all day glad to see You see it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Apr 1, 2018, 11:19 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #803

Sorry, I was boxing up eveyone's v2 sabers
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 2, 2018, 1:53 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #804

I don't know @halliwax... I feel like if they ordered saberforge parts we'd still be waiting for TLJ to come out...
    Apr 2, 2018, 2:25 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #805

SethS said: View Post
    I don't know @halliwax... I feel like if they ordered saberforge parts we'd still be waiting for TLJ to come out...
    Lmfao!

From
    Le Havre, France
    Apr 2, 2018, 4:51 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #806

I have a prodigal son, that i ve been waiting for 8 month (couldnt more agree with you Seths !!! )

Its my first lightsaber and i always thought that this purchase was a mistake, cause i discovered TheRPF just after ... but with this thread i'm starting to think that its maybe not

Dan ask me some measure and i'll send him asap. Here's some old picture.

Mine is an old version, cause the pommel from saberforge store is more accurate than mine, as we can see on Halliwax post.

Also :
    - the emitter from SF is really different from TLJ. (No ring at the base of the blade plug)
    - the windvane section is too long on the SF version. (Dont know if its still the cas with their new parts)

Mark
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 2, 2018, 7:52 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #807

MakBzh said: View Post
    I have a prodigal son, that i ve been waiting for 8 month (couldnt more agree with you Seths !!! )

Its my first lightsaber and i always thought that this purchase was a mistake, cause i discovered TheRPF just after ... but with this thread i'm starting to think that its maybe not

Dan ask me some measure and i'll send him asap. Here's some old picture.

Mine is an old version, cause the pommel from saberforge store is more accurate than mine, as we can see on Halliwax post.

Also :
    - the emitter from SF is really different from TLJ. (No ring at the base of the blade plug)
    - the windvane section is too long on the SF version. (Dont know if its still the cas with their new parts)

Markhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...37268e0dea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1013222ea4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5a38162777.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bac68494a4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0eb62a3898.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d5d00e5a14.jpg
    Thank you very much for all your help
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 2, 2018, 7:52 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #808

Didnít I say something like that a few posts back lol

Apr 2, 2018, 8:13 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #809

I don't think I they'd have used a saber forge. The fact that both the prop team and saber forge tried to replicate the same original rotj prop allows a great probability that the results would be similar. When 2 sources try to make the same thing it's more than likely that the results will be similar. Plus why would they use half saber forge parts and then scratch build the rest? At that point it would make more sense just to scratch build the whole thing or to use a saber forge in the whole. And since the designers wanted to put their own twist on the saber (the redesigned emitter) it would make much more sense for the saber to be a scratch build.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Apr 2, 2018, 8:34 AM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #810

So I see, were both sides are coming from. But the similarities between the emitter and the grenade section, especially in proportions, is uncanny. And I think it's worth noting that SaberForge ASP parts are notoriously for not lining up. Which could explain why the control box doesn't line up with the pommel. I find the similarities very interesting, and I think it's safe to say that a SaberForge Prodigal Son had some influence on this saber, but whether it was indirectly or directly who knows...........
    Apr 2, 2018, 1:05 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #811

So I've been comparing the SaberForge Prodigal Son and the Ultrasabers Archon v3. The prop makers definitely did not use parts from either saber. Though those sabers were most assuredly used as inspiration. The main difference I've noticed is the topmost flanges are much wider than the emitters on the either the SaberForge or Ultrasabers. But one of the features of the TLJ saber is the deeper third step (counting from the top) on the emitter. This is done on sabers made by SaberForge and Ultrasabers to increase the blade depth. Undoubtedly the prop team simply did some Google searches for Luke's RotJ saber. As I've noticed that there are similarities to slothfurnace's RotJ build as well. Namely the large buttons with an angled groove in the middle, and the large LED's on the side of the box. And yes if you Google Luke RotJ Lightsaber his come up in an image search.

EDIT-

Something else I've noticed. Slothfurnace uses a twist-lock mechanism in the pommel of his saber to release the grenade section. So in some of his pictures. The pommel of his saber is rotated in such a way that the control box doesn't line up with either a pommel cubes or groove. Much like the TLJ saber.
    Last edited by Joek3rr; Apr 2, 2018 at 1:35 PM.
  12. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Apr 2, 2018, 4:06 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #812

Joek3rr said: View Post
    So I've been comparing the SaberForge Prodigal Son and the Ultrasabers Archon v3. The prop makers definitely did not use parts from either saber. Though those sabers were most assuredly used as inspiration. The main difference I've noticed is the topmost flanges are much wider than the emitters on the either the SaberForge or Ultrasabers. But one of the features of the TLJ saber is the deeper third step (counting from the top) on the emitter. This is done on sabers made by SaberForge and Ultrasabers to increase the blade depth. Undoubtedly the prop team simply did some Google searches for Luke's RotJ saber. As I've noticed that there are similarities to slothfurnace's RotJ build as well. Namely the large buttons with an angled groove in the middle, and the large LED's on the side of the box. And yes if you Google Luke RotJ Lightsaber his come up in an image search.

EDIT-

Something else I've noticed. Slothfurnace uses a twist-lock mechanism in the pommel of his saber to release the grenade section. So in some of his pictures. The pommel of his saber is rotated in such a way that the control box doesn't line up with either a pommel cubes or groove. Much like the TLJ saber.
    Because of copyright and IP reasons, the prop shop may have elected to make a composite approach in their build. That way no prop builder can claim an exact match to the TLJ Luke lightsaber. Some aspects of Slothfurnance Luke ROTJ are likely included like the thick rings.
    Last edited by master jinn; Apr 2, 2018 at 4:14 PM.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 2, 2018, 4:24 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #813

It’s mind boggling considering that Luke’s lightsaber is pretty much the only OT saber Lucasfilm has— and in more than one flavor. The hero, the V3, and at least a couple resin Yumas in the archives. IF there was any saber they could accurately represent it’s that one.
    Last edited by SethS; Apr 2, 2018 at 5:25 PM.
    Apr 2, 2018, 4:30 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #814

It's possible Johnson just liked the beefier look better. I kinda do myself, and if I were in charge of the sequel I can't say I wouldn't have changed the saber in a similar way.
    Apr 2, 2018, 4:37 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #815

Funny thing is that without this thread I would have thought that the rotj hero and creepy uncle were identical.

From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 2, 2018, 5:26 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #816

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    It's possible Johnson just liked the beefier look better. I kinda do myself, and if I were in charge of the sequel I can't say I wouldn't have changed the saber in a similar way.
    Even still— why a resin crap job!? Seems like it would be no big whoop for somebody to turn something out on a lathe.
    Apr 2, 2018, 5:31 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #817

Even still— why a resin crap job!? Seems like it would be no big whoop for somebody to turn something out on a lathe.
    I stand by my belief that the resin saber is not the one we see on screen. There's no room for a blade, for one thing. I suspect there is a metal hero that the resin was cast off of. (On the other hand, why make a resin version that's never seen?)
    Apr 2, 2018, 5:42 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #818

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    I stand by my belief that the resin saber is not the one we see on screen. There's no room for a blade, for one thing. I suspect there is a metal hero that the resin was cast off of. (On the other hand, why make a resin version that's never seen?)
    Isn't it true that at one point Luke was going to actually be on Crait and use his green saber? Perhaps that's why they have resin copies. Then again it still wouldn't seem like a bladeless resin copy would be needed, unless there were things in this theoretical duel that required the saber being dropped or something.

Apr 2, 2018, 5:50 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #819

^I'd heard that, yeah. It's also possible the resin was made as a belt hanger that they ended up not using.
    Apr 2, 2018, 6:32 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #820

I have a theory. What if the resin saber we are seeing was made as an approval model? It could have been presented to Rian along with others for him to decide the saber for Luke. Rian chooses this saber, and the prop department starts work on a FX saber. Meanwhile Rian decides that Luke should use the Graflex instead. So work is stopped on the FX version. And they decide to simply imploy this resin saber. After all its only seen two short scenes that are dark and they have to replace much of the saber when they remove the hand anyways. What do you guys think?
    Apr 2, 2018, 6:43 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #821

I am surprised nobody has blamed Kathleen Kennedy for this mess yet.

22. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Apr 2, 2018, 7:32 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #822

What if the resin sabers were made for display purposes at cons and launch bay?
    Apr 2, 2018, 7:55 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #823

R Three said: View Post
    What if the resin sabers were made for display purposes at cons and launch bay?
    There is that possibility. And there is a history of that happening. The only question I have is why does the movie saber have the odd pommel orientation like resin saber? I can see it happening on a resin saber where they didn't care about the finer details. But on a metal "hero" saber, I don't see that happening. I still think that resin saber wasn't intended to have"hero" status, and kinda got pressed into duty, once they cut out Luke using his saber on Crait.
    From
    Washington DC
    Apr 2, 2018, 8:25 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #824

The people at Awesome Con were saying that all of the props and clothes had been screen used, I never tried to pin anyone down as to which movie this or that prop appeared in. Does anyone here have some intell on Graflex and the Luke, at least. Were they really screen used props? Which movies were they featured in? What,is their significance.qq
  25. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 2, 2018, 10:49 PM - Re: The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER #825

Fusion said: View Post
    The people at Awesome Con were saying that all of the props and clothes had been screen used, I never tried to pin anyone down as to which movie this or that prop appeared in. Does anyone here have some intell on Graflex and the Luke, at least. Were they really screen used props? Which movies were they featured in? What,is their significance.qq
    With the marks all over the blub release it should be easy to max on film, including that really scratched you beer tab rivet...

Just havenít found screen grabs of the right angle to prove it..