New Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II behind the scenes references

The blueprints I had created are still showing up in a Google search haha. That was like in 2003 or 2005 in good old MS Visio.

Such a blast from the past!
Hey Loneken, I remember very well the time when you published your plans and they were always the best and most detailed for almost 20 years!

I loved playing this game at the time, the low resolution and relative darkness of the cutscenes didn't make us realize the very poor quality of the props and costumes. These new photos show that when a story is good, even crudely made props appear as real ones on screen

The blueprints I had created are still showing up in a Google search haha. That was like in 2003 or 2005 in good old MS Visio.

Such a blast from the past!

I know I certainly used them back in the day when I made one for someone. 2007, so long ago now. Only ever made the 1 though.
katarn1.jpg
katarn3.jpg
katarnprogress7.jpg

Hey Loneken, I remember very well the time when you published your plans and they were always the best and most detailed for almost 20 years!

I loved playing this game at the time, the low resolution and relative darkness of the cutscenes didn't make us realize the very poor quality of the props and costumes. These new photos show that when a story is good, even crudely made props appear as real ones on screen
Thanks I appreciate that! I did make a static version about 10 years ago based on those plans and I still love it. Now I can see some improvements to make with the new pics.. I might update my model at some point I always loved this hilt!

Attachments

• PXL_20231219_210033619.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231219_210033619.MP.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20231219_210047936.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231219_210047936.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 56
I know I certainly used them back in the day when I made one for someone. 2007, so long ago now. Only ever made the 1 though.
Thanks I appreciate that! I did make a static version about 10 years ago based on those plans and I still love it. Now I can see some improvements to make with the new pics.. I might update my model at some point I always loved this hilt!
Both sabers are perfectly made and the materials you used seem much better than those used in the production of DF2. In my opinion, it would be worth opening a thread with all the sabers made by the community from Loneken's design ! ;)

Do you think the original sabers are still preserved somewhere in the lucasfilm or lucasart archives or have they been lost like some sabers from the films? Is there any information about this ?

Holy crap what amazing reference thanks! Still love that blaster.

I got this solid hilt years ago, no clue who made it. It didnt have the curved plate on the top half, i had to make that from some aluminum sheet. Not the best but the best I could do by hand.

IMG_2982.png
IMG_2979.png
IMG_2980.png

Last edited:
Around 2000, a group of us got together and collaborated in order to come up with specs for the Kyle lightsaber. The idea was to create measurements to share in case anyone wanted to make their own. This is what we came up with 23 years ago...
kyleplans.jpg

newkyle.jpg

Also not to get off topic, but we did the same with the lightsaber as seen with the Plo Koon action figure of the time (we were really starved for new hilt designs to replicate 23 years ago).

PloKoon.JPG

View.jpg

koon.JPG

Around 2000, a group of us got together and collaborated in order to come up with specs for the Kyle lightsaber. The idea was to create measurements to share in case anyone wanted to make their own. This is what we came up with 23 years ago...View attachment 1772015
View attachment 1772020

Also not to get off topic, but we did the same with the lightsaber as seen with the Plo Koon action figure of the time (we were really starved for new hilt designs to replicate 23 years ago).

View attachment 1772019
View attachment 1772017
View attachment 1772018
I remember this!

I used to have one of the Kyles, I think there were two versions offered, One with the emitter matching the diameter of the rest of the widest parts.

I had a green acrylic blade with it. Sold it like 20 years ago.

It's kind of crazy you can just buy a Yun or Jedi Knight 2 saber on Ali Express now.
Those are from AegisSabers. They are decent budget RGB/Neo sabers, although lacking in certain accuracies. I asked why they had omitted such an obvious detail on their Yun (the silver ring below the emitter) and they stated it was for "copyright reasons", or something to that effect. I added my own to it.
2771.jpg

The lightsaber field is crazy oversaturated right now and companies in China are cranking these things out like crazy. (I don't say this to complain. I'm complicit in this trend myself. And Chinese machinists have just as much a right to design these toys as we do, provided they produce their own designs. But, it's crazy to see that you can buy a metal Yun saber for $30 with electronics.) It's really changed the hobby and will continue to do so.

Around 2000, a group of us got together and collaborated in order to come up with specs for the Kyle lightsaber. The idea was to create measurements to share in case anyone wanted to make their own. This is what we came up with 23 years ago...View attachment 1772015
View attachment 1772020

View attachment 1772019
View attachment 1772017
View attachment 1772018
Good old days :)

The lightsaber field is crazy oversaturated right now and companies in China are cranking these things out like crazy. (I don't say this to complain. I'm complicit in this trend myself. And Chinese machinists have just as much a right to design these toys as we do, provided they produce their own designs. But, it's crazy to see that you can buy a metal Yun saber for $30 with electronics.) It's really changed the hobby and will continue to do so.
I agree, on one hand it’s put sabers like this within reach for me as someone who could never afford to get $500+ neopixel sabers, now you can get them from China for less than $200. But I also get that this takes away from smaller makers who built up that community, like ours here. Obviously the quality isn’t the same, but yeah it’s crazy nonetheless.

Last edited:
Those are from AegisSabers. They are decent budget RGB/Neo sabers, although lacking in certain accuracies. I asked why they had omitted such an obvious detail on their Yun (the silver ring below the emitter) and they stated it was for "copyright reasons", or something to that effect. I added my own to it.View attachment 1772592

I've always found it hilarious that people making bootleg collectibles think that if they change what they call the object or omit details, that that makes them immune from a C&D or worse. Like Disney/Lucasfilm lawyers are seeing this and saying "Well if only it had that ring on there, we'd have them dead to rights. There's nothing we can do now." :lol:

I've always found it hilarious that people making bootleg collectibles think that if they change what they call the object or omit details, that that makes them immune from a C&D or worse. Like Disney/Lucasfilm lawyers are seeing this and saying "Well if only it had that ring on there, we'd have them dead to rights. There's nothing we can do now." :lol:
A hard rule has always been to avoid using trademarked names in the fan community. This dates back to LFL agreement over fan films.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back