Kresty's Dagobah Fusion Generator / Reactor / Furnace - whatever you want to call it.

Re: Kresty's Dagobah Fusion Generator / Reactor / Furnace - whatever you want to call

Super cool build. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Re: Kresty's Dagobah Fusion Generator / Reactor / Furnace - whatever you want to call

Well, I applied some rustoleum hammered metal stuff on the primer, and played around with the cord... I keep breaking the little posts off, I should've used better glue. This is a draft photo, but it shows the fake cord.

normal_Test_Fitting_Hoses_28229.jpg

We ended up replacing the end with some Lego though to attach to L3-G0.​

Star Wars The Last Jedi Premier at Science Center 034 (1920x1280).jpg

normal_Test_Fitting_Hoses_28229.jpg

Star Wars The Last Jedi Premier at Science Center 034 (1920x1280).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

For the top coils we used 4' of 20 gauge bronze-ish craft wire (thought copper would be too bright). That's a bit too thin, so I have 1.5mm wire on order. 1.5mm is about perfect (somewhere between 14 and 16 gauge) as I had a color to play with, but it's the wrong color. So, we're waiting for that to arrive from China, but in the meantime we coiled them up by hand.

We wound the 4' of wire on a 3/8" diameter (about 10mm) dowel, and that looks about right to us. It also produces about as many coils as I counted on the photos. It proves to be a bit difficult/tiring to wind, so we ended up putting a screw in one end, attaching the other to the chuck in a drill, and then using the drill slowly in reverse (for the direction I'd been hand coiling them). It worked to hook the wire around the screw to start it, but took a little practice to get decent at it. For the 1.5mm wire the drill technique is nearly required!

Somehow I don't seem to have a photo of the coiling process. I'll try to fix that when the real wires come in.

And, the "final" fusion reactor. We took it to the premiere at the Pacific Science Center (because we could).

attachment.php

We still want to make the coils thicker, and need to do something about the posts snapping off, but we're quite happy with it! (The hoses stick out a lot on the bottom, so it's hard to move it without breaking them.)

Another photo with the droids at the Pacific Science Center.

attachment.php

Droids at Science Center with Fusion Generator.jpg

PacSci The Last Jedi 039 (1920x1280).jpg

fantastic job, kresty!!! Just amazing work.

Holy crap did this come out amazing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all! Lara did a great job painting, and I'm really loving that hammered metal spray paint as a starting point for things like this.

Working on cleaning up the wiki page with better (and more accurate) instructions (not done yet) for others to follow - it's pretty straightforward.

Last edited:

Wicked!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to do something about the hose mounts on the bottom. They keep snapping off :( Mostly that's my poor choice of bonding)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back