Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Aug 26, 2017, 12:17 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #51

How was the size of that D-ring on the camera case? I also have a no patent folmer I'm trying to make 100% vintage if I can
  2. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Aug 26, 2017, 12:31 PM - The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #52

Seneca said: View Post
    How was the size of that D-ring on the camera case? I also have a no patent folmer I'm trying to make 100% vintage if I can
    Unfortunately, it was comedically undersized!!! Haha. But it was worth a shot. I'm trying to go as vintage as I can, but it looks like my grips and d-ring will be replicas. WannaWanga's d-ring is mostly accurate from what I can tell, and I really like it. I'm not gonna go with Roy's T-track though. I have Todd's, which is great and has the asymmetrical thing going on for it. And Gino's, which in my opinion is just fabulous track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Germany
    Aug 26, 2017, 1:04 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #53

The original had no asymetric shape.
  4. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Aug 26, 2017, 1:10 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #54

Lichtbringer said: View Post
    I know better than to debate this with you! Haha. Although after speaking with quite a few people in the community I've came to the personal conclusion that it looks a little bit more like an artifact from cutting the grips than it does the whole track being asymmetrical. That's why I'll be going with Gino's grips. In my opinion they are second to none. Roy's are fantastic. But I really love Gino's. When I got them in hand they just felt right.

From
    Germany
    Aug 26, 2017, 1:17 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #55

Aye, itīs from cutting and angle when making the pic what makes some people believe itīs shape is asymmetric.

Donīt let me start on Ginoīs - i have a certain pov on his statements abbout their accuracy, i know what it costs to have such shape extruded (and imho heīs ripping of people with his requested price in combination to his accuracy statements). But under the line they are not bad and if you are happy with them .... why not.
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Aug 26, 2017, 1:35 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #56

I'm going to give these a try for my mine. vintage T-tracks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T-tracks.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	754545
  7. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Aug 26, 2017, 1:35 PM - The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #57

Aye, itīs from cutting and angle when making the pic what makes some people believe itīs shape is asymmetric.

Donīt let me start on Ginoīs - i have a certain pov on his statements abbout their accuracy, i know what it costs to have such shape extruded (and imho heīs ripping of people with his requested price in combination to his accuracy statements). But under the line they are not bad and if you are happy with them .... why not.
    From what I can tell the best options out there are Roy, Todd, and Gino. Setting aside Todd's, since its asymmetrical, that leaves us with Gino and Roy. At a mere fraction of the price Gino charges you can get Roy's, and they are wonderful grips. People can say what they will about Gino. Yes, his price was high, but he was nothing but professional when communicating with me and when I got them in hand and compared them they made me super happy. I was more than ok with the price tag, but it is steep. I personally believe them to be the most accurate track available. This is my own opinion I've formed from looking at many reference pictures. Everyone is entitled to their own.

From
    Germany
    Aug 26, 2017, 1:49 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #58

I personally believe that believing something is for the church only, out of that i prefer proof. And while i have several real flashes, i donīt believe him anything nor has he ever given any proof. Under that circumstances his greedy pricepoint is only the last nail in the coffin. So none of my real flashes will ever see one of his sets. But you are new to the hobby and we older ones know how nice he can talk. But still never any proof has given.
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Aug 26, 2017, 1:53 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #59

I personally believe that believing something is for the church only, out of that i prefer proof. And while i have several real flashes, i donīt believe him anything nor has he ever given any proof. Under that circumstances his greedy pricepoint is only the last nail in the coffin. So none of my real flashes will ever see one of his sets. But you are new to the hobby and we older ones know how nice he can talk. But still never any proof has given.
    I always respect what you have to add to my threads. Some really fantastic insight. Thanks as always. What do you prefer on your flashes?

From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Aug 26, 2017, 4:09 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #60

second person I've heard confirm this - thanks!

on that side, Todds are still the cheapest for us in the States, so that will be my selling point for myself, not the incorrect info I had.
  11. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Aug 26, 2017, 11:27 PM - The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #61

I'm going to give these a try for my mine. vintage T-tracks Click image for larger version. 

I'd kill to get my hands on some of that..... I've messaged quite a few people with no luck.

From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Aug 27, 2017, 4:06 AM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #62

Those are the brown T-tracks from Saberfreak ... once in a while they pop up in the Junkyard ... they have a straight center rib as opposed to a sloped rib as is Gino's or Roy's

Chaïm
    From
    Germany
    Aug 27, 2017, 5:56 AM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #63

JRHunter13 said: View Post
    I always respect what you have to add to my threads. Some really fantastic insight. Thanks as always. What do you prefer on your flashes?

Prefer? As many here i would prefer to find some of the original stuff, but i donīt see that happen.

As mentioned before ther are 3 main types available: Todds, Ginos, and Roys. Additional there are 2 others: Saberfreaks old stuff chiming in from time to time, and also Marvs, but i donīt know if he still offers them.

None of them is the real deal, but each of them works, with varying advantages in different directions.

Todds - replica, not bad and a very good price, at least for the US guys.

Ginos - replica, good but way overpriced, esspecially as he canīt proove itīs as accurate as he says. He says he "measured" them, i donīt think that means he was allowed to disassemble the real prop to make a mold for later accurate measurements, some measurements with a caliper is not enough for such a shape with all its anles and rounded corners.

Roys - replica, good (but off course also not the real deal). Heīs a graphic artistby trade, and i trust his skills with todays equipment to copy the shape seen on pics of the real more than oldschool measurement within a limited timeframe.

Saberfreaks - old stuff, but prooven to not having the correct bottom (no channel)

Marvs - real t-track, no replica. But not completely correct in shape and dimensions. Still nice to look at, and no replica, sort of grandchild of the real ones. And a good price for Europe, US based shipping gets crazy more and more.

Thatīs it, more or less - each builder has to pic his own from the given infos.

Under the line: atm. - until some prooven better or real can be found - itīs Roys for me. And sorry for that long writing.
  14. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Aug 27, 2017, 10:11 AM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #64

Prefer? As many here i would prefer to find some of the original stuff, but i donīt see that happen.

As mentioned before ther are 3 main types available: Todds, Ginos, and Roys. Additional there are 2 others: Saberfreaks old stuff chiming in from time to time, and also Marvs, but i donīt know if he still offers them.

None of them is the real deal, but each of them works, with varying advantages in different directions.

Todds - replica, not bad and a very good price, at least for the US guys.

Ginos - replica, good but way overpriced, esspecially as he canīt proove itīs as accurate as he says. He says he "measured" them, i donīt think that means he was allowed to disassemble the real prop to make a mold for later accurate measurements, some measurements with a caliper is not enough for such a shape with all its anles and rounded corners.

Roys - replica, good (but off course also not the real deal). Heīs a graphic artistby trade, and i trust his skills with todays equipment to copy the shape seen on pics of the real more than oldschool measurement within a limited timeframe.

Saberfreaks - old stuff, but prooven to not having the correct bottom (no channel)

Marvs - real t-track, no replica. But not completely correct in shape and dimensions. Still nice to look at, and no replica, sort of grandchild of the real ones. And a good price for Europe, US based shipping gets crazy more and more.

Thatīs it, more or less - each builder has to pic his own from the given infos.

Under the line: atm. - until some prooven better or real can be found - itīs Roys for me. And sorry for that long writing.
    It's fine you wrote a lot! How else am I supposed to learn this stuff?! Great read man! I wonder how long we will have to wait or if the real deal will ever be discovered?... I had never even heard about Marvs track before. Is that another source that has dried up like saberfreaks?

15. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Aug 27, 2017, 10:57 AM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #65

I'd kill to get my hands on some of that..... I've messaged quite a few people with no luck.

I don't use this form nearly enough. Can you PM me?
  16. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Aug 27, 2017, 10:59 AM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #66

I don't use this form nearly enough. Can you PM me?
    Certainly. I sent you 2 messages on the rpf already. Is there another place I can contact you if that doesn't work?

17. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Aug 27, 2017, 11:01 AM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #67

Yea they may not be the exact ones used in the movies, but they are old/vintage. I'm trying to go as much vintage as possible. I have roys grips on order also so I'll have to compare the two and make my choice. This post have been supper helpful!
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Aug 27, 2017, 11:09 AM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #68

Yea they may not be the exact ones used in the movies, but they are old/vintage. I'm trying to go as much vintage as possible. I have roys grips on order also so I'll have to compare the two and make my choice. This post have been supper helpful!
    I'm glad you're learning things here! So am I! Did you get the messages I sent you?

19. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Aug 27, 2017, 11:09 AM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #69

Certainly. I sent you 2 messages on the rpf already. Is there another place I can contact you if that doesn't work?

I'd reply faster on FB pm me there. Troy senate
  20. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Sep 1, 2017, 8:29 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #70

Question for those of you who have used the "saberfreak" vintage grips that are brown. What shade of black did you use to paint them? Was it a specific brand of spray paint? Was an airbrush used? Were the grips on the screen used prop flat or shiny? Also, how did you go about making the "glue channel"? Routed out or sanded? Thanks in advance for any knowledge or reply!!!!

21. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Sep 1, 2017, 9:32 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #71

I bought some vintage graflex D-rings and parts off of eBay. The D-ring I'm looking at in particular is off of the bag of a graflex graphic 35 camera case.
    Unfortunately, it was comedically undersized!!!
    I tried that bag myself back in May 2017, too bad you missed my post about it not working. I think the one @Sym-Cha found was off of a GRAFLEX hard case.
  22. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Sep 1, 2017, 9:36 PM - The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #72

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    I tried that bag myself back in May 2017, too bad you missed my post about it not working. I think the one @Sym-Cha found was off of a GRAFLEX hard case.
    My friend Troy from the graflex support group on facebook dug up an old case. Might be a camera case I'd have to ask. The clip and d ring are amazingly sized. He was nice enough to part with one of them for my build. Here's some pics. Wannawanga for reference....

23. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Sep 1, 2017, 9:42 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #73

He also found some other clips that came off of a WWII helmet. They are other good options to pair with the d-ring

24. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Sep 1, 2017, 9:43 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #74

Hey @JRHunter13 ! Even if those don't turn out to be 100% accurate, it's still nice to have a vintage GRAFLEX part on your replica! You could always remove it if you find a better vintage piece and attach that new one down the road.
  25. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Sep 1, 2017, 9:44 PM - Re: The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build! #75

Hey @JRHunter13 ! Even if those don't turn out to be 100% accurate, it's still nice to have a vintage GRAFLEX part on your replica! You could always remove it if you find a better vintage piece and attach that new one down the road.
    Yeah! I thought about that. Until a photo surfaces of the actual clip we can only guess, but I'm trying to go all vintage on this build if possible.