PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley - 05.09. - Painting and Weathering!

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 17.01. - Printing & stuff!

looks totally awesome, at this rate the portal should be real in a few weeks, any ideas on quantum tunnelling. :)

Thanks man! :) Hahaha back when I finished my Gravity Gun I've been asking CERN to help me out to make it work but they never really replied to my message.
So my confidence in creating a working portal is heading towards zero :lol

Wow, those motors are all sexy and those bearings (I thought I wouldn't be excited with those, but man...:D). It all looks great from where I stand and I'm very impatient to see it all come together, of course!

Should have put a NSFW tag on there :D Great you're excited!
There are so many details I need to take care of since it's my first time working with motorizing stuff so I hope it will turn out as great as I and you expect! Thanks for joining the ride :D

PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 23.01. - First shell ready!

:lol That's so awesome dude! This meme never gets old!

Another update incoming guys!
Since all the parts of the first outer shell of Wheatley have been finished printing it was finally time to glue and combine them into one single piece.
This was done using short aluminium shafts which were cut to lenght and glued in place.

What you can see is that some areas of the print turnt out incredible awful and I found out this was caused due to insufficient cooling the extruded filament after it was layed down on the part. When this problem was fixed all the parts turned out great.

The image below is NOT sponsored by Loctite :D

_MG_8296.jpg

The first parts were glued together and dried for around 15min until the rear shell parts were added.

_MG_8295.jpg

Due to the slight warping of PLA (not as bad as ABS but it's there) the seams are kinda rough and needs to be fixed up more than I wanted it to be :(
Managable though!

_MG_8302.jpg

_MG_8303.jpg

Here on the bottom right hand side of the part you definitely can see the incedible awful print.
Do not worry though, will clean that up later on :)

_MG_8306.jpg

_MG_8312.jpg

And here's the whole left side!

_MG_8308.jpg

_MG_8321.jpg

After some sanding...

_MG_8323.jpg

_MG_8324.jpg

And some little details :D Not glued though. In the meantime the outer (black) was printed to finish up the side.

_MG_8328.jpg

Stuffed a 11mm drill bit in there to see if the bars for the handles fit as good as they are supposed to.

_MG_8330.jpg

Currently the right shell is printing. Hopefully I can drop some images until the weekend to keep you guys up-to-date.
It's quite exhausting for me to work on a 3D model sometimes because there are SO MANY things to work on :)

Thanks for checking out guys! Really appreciate it!
Mario

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 23.01. - First shell ready!

Wow! Great job. Once again 3d printing is a boon for projects!

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 23.01. - First shell ready!

EDIT: After reading through it again I see that it's quite a specific problem and so very hard to figure out a solution if you don't have the model in front of you testing certain stuff... I let it here though... :)

EDIT2: I bought a few of these micro stepper motors here, maybe they can handle the load of the arms if I print them hollow: http://ebay.to/1NxzVxp

Thanks to all fo you for your motivational words! :)
I've uploaded my project on my FB-fanpage on Sunday and one of my followers asked if I plan to make Wheatleys side panels open and close slightly like its seen in-game.

At first I responded "nope" but his idea has been stuck in my head since then; which basically means I'm going to do that... :lol
Started drawing some rough sketches on my 3D model and figured out a way to open the panels but there's where the problem occurs.

On the very left image you can hopefully see the basic hinging system on which the panels move. The yellow parts are the hinges which are directly connected to the panels.
The green thing is the servo motor which will have a little arm attached to it pushing/pulling the door. The leverage is quite small but the servo is able to move around 1kg so I should be fine.

On the image in the middle you can see the hole in the orange panel which holds the bearing for the front arm.
You also can see the mounting seat for the servo in the transparent-purple part which I was going to use to tilt the front arms but is now void as the panel opens and closes and the connection between the servo and the arm would need to be variable.

I was thinking about using a fishing line and put the servo somewhere else but I'm really stuck with that now.
I know it's kinda hard to explain and I will try to get a more detailed explanation on today's evening but maybe some of you have an idea which might help me continue with this task.

The image in the right basically shows you how it would look if opened :)

forum2.jpg forum3.jpg forum1.jpg

And this here was the initial setup to make the front arms move up and down...

sketch2.jpg

Thanks for reading everyone!
Mario

forum2.jpg

forum3.jpg

forum1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 07.02. - Equalizing effect, Video!

Hi everyone! :)

Just a short video of the equalizing effect of Wheatley's eye with a little talking of me!
There are around 15 NeoPixel sticks inside the eye's corpus which are star-shaped arranged from the middle.
I'm currently playing around with the timings and deciding if I should go with a sound-to-light module to catch Wheatley's voice and emulate it accordingly into some kind of VU-meter.

BIG update on that with all details is coming tomorrow! :)

Thanks everyone for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 07.02. - Equalizing effect, Video!

Himmel:eek You're really going all-out with that prop alright! Cannot wait to see the next update.

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 07.02. - Equalizing effect, Video!

Himmel:eek You're really going all-out with that prop alright! Cannot wait to see the next update.

:) I'm trying my best! Just finished the whole eye-pupil and it's got around 300g in weight which is quite heavy.
Now I'm considering reprinting it with lower infill to get the weight down a little bit. Don't want to stress the motors.

Man. I can't wait to watch this later. I am excited to see it.

Thanks dude :D I already ordered a microphone with amplifier to catch the sound.
Will try to implement it this week. Cannot wait to show you guys :)

First off I must say what you are trying to do is awesome!

I am working on my own light/sound project and have been inspired by what some people have done with Wheatly. I do not have any moving parts, just sound sensitive flashing LEDs. I had originally planned on using the Vellman sound to light kit but then came across this site:

http://www.princetronics.com/sound-sensitive-lights-w-sound-sensor-arduino/

I have been able to play my sound clips and feed the signal back into the Arduino and get the lights to flash based upon sampling the audio signal. If you have the extra pins you can probably do it too.

Hope it helps.

First off I must say what you are trying to do is awesome!

I am working on my own light/sound project and have been inspired by what some people have done with Wheatly. I do not have any moving parts, just sound sensitive flashing LEDs. I had originally planned on using the Vellman sound to light kit but then came across this site:

http://www.princetronics.com/sound-sensitive-lights-w-sound-sensor-arduino/

I have been able to play my sound clips and feed the signal back into the Arduino and get the lights to flash based upon sampling the audio signal. If you have the extra pins you can probably do it too.

Hope it helps.

Very much appreciated, thanks a lot Scott!

Any chance to get a sneek peak of the stage in what you're currently in regarding your project? Curious to see! :)

The microphone seems to be similar to the one I ordered (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1063).
If you scroll down a bit further on that website you will find a bunch of tutorials Adafruit provided for making your own sound-to-light module.
I'm keen on trying the one with the tie as this perfecy resembles the way I want it to work in the end.

Thanks for your tutorial aswell! It's basically the same whereas Adafruit is using NeoPixel (RGB leds) and the guy on your webpage single leds.
The advantage of using NeoPixels is that I only have to use one output pin for the digital signal.

:)

I am using all Adafruit stuff too. The Bluetooth LE chips are perfect to make things wireless, their tutorials are awesome and support is helpful.

Circuit wise I am still prototyping on a breadboard. I still need to tweak the code for my flashing pattern, but it is pretty close to what I want.

Are you sure you want to use a microphone? Won't that pick up ambient noise and make things flash when you don't want them too? Adafruit support advised me how to run the sound signal straight back to the controller.

I am using traditional style LEDs. I am hoping I will be able to pull enough current to drive 38 of them without having to add additional hardware. At 20ma each it will be close, but I think I can drive them on less and call it good enough.

I can't get the video to work the way I want...you will have to follow the link. Hopefully it works.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...745&authkey=!AHWkX0XvFv72SAc&ithint=video,mp4

Last edited:

I am using all Adafruit stuff too. The Bluetooth LE chips are perfect to make things wireless, their tutorials are awesome and support is helpful.

Circuit wise I am still prototyping on a breadboard. I still need to tweak the code for my flashing pattern, but it is pretty close to what I want.

Are you sure you want to use a microphone? Won't that pick up ambient noise and make things flash when you don't want them too? Adafruit support advised me how to run the sound signal straight back to the controller.

I am using traditional style LEDs. I am hoping I will be able to pull enough current to drive 38 of them without having to add additional hardware. At 20ma each it will be close, but I think I can drive them on less and call it good enough.

I can't get the video to work the way I want...you will have to follow the link. Hopefully it works.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...745&authkey=!AHWkX0XvFv72SAc&ithint=video,mp4

Upload it to YouTube. It's a pain but posting it here is easier.

You may be right on the microphone picking up the ambient noise... I'm not sure however if there's a possibility to actually run back the "impulses" of the sound to an Arduino and use that as controlling for the NeoPixels.
Other than you I'm using the Sound FX Board (https://www.adafruit.com/products/2217) where I hook up 2 speakers. Not sure if there's a dedicated output so send the signals back to the Arduino aswell.

Thanks for sharing the video. Your setup makes sense yet I haven't figured it out to port it to my board... :)

EDIT: Oh I see you used the Tx pin to send the data from the audio controller to the Arduino? That would make sense at least!

I am using the Feather to control the Audio FX via the serial pins. It uses the TX and RX to talk back and forth. It was confusing at first, but it opens up so many control options versus the basic trigger pin options.

We are basically using the same sound board, but yours has the amplifier built on. They are not currently selling those due to a hardware bug they are trying to track down. Use the L or R pin to run the same audio signal that comes out of the L or R terminal blocks. On mine it is not amplified, on yours, I don't really know, but would bet it isn't.

Here is what Adafruit support said when I asked them about running the audio back to my controller:

The L and R pins are AC coupled (there's a capacitor in line with the output), so you need to connect them to a reference voltage.

For each output, make a 10k-10k voltage divider between the Feather's 3.3v and GND pins, then connect the center of the divider to one of the Feather's analog inputs and one of the FX Board's output lines. You can use the Feather's ADC to watch the audio input

Don't ask me to explain it, but it works. I am very happy with my flashing lights. :D

Aaaaaaaah, okay! Now it makes sense!
I also made a post on Adafruits forum and they replied with just "Yes, use the L and R pins.".
Not sure if I have to use a voltage divider also. Will look into that!

Cheers and thanks again. Hopefully I can make it work today to show you some progress :)

Hey there, love what you are doing and can't wait to see how it turns out. I am working on a similar half scale project, and was able to get a rip of the game model. Would you like me to send it to you so you can make sure that everything is as accurate to the game as possible?

Hey there, love what you are doing and can't wait to see how it turns out. I am working on a similar half scale project, and was able to get a rip of the game model. Would you like me to send it to you so you can make sure that everything is as accurate to the game as possible?

If you really don't mind I would LOVE to see them! Thanks so much for offering! :)
Can you upload them to imgur.com or should I provide you with a DropBox link?

Do you have any worklog on your project too?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back