PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley - 05.09. - Painting and Weathering!

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley - 18.08. - UPDATE: EYE MOVEMENT!!

De0VV.gif

Thanks guys, even I can't show it that well, I really do appreciate all of your excitement!!
Cannot wait to start the weathering. Best part of any build :)

Helloou!! :)

Another update incoming for you guys. I didn't have much time to work on Wheatley and the stuff I had to do was plain filling and sanding the inner sphere. So it all took its time until this moment ;) However I was able to apply the first real paintjob and I couldn't be happier when looking at the result. It will be redone later on but for now it's perfectly fine.

As I already said plain stupid filling and sanding was on the agenda...

_MG_0038.jpg

_MG_0022.jpg

When I was happy with the smoothness of the surface I started applying some black filler which acts also as base coat for white paint later on.

_MG_0045.jpg

When the base was finished drying after around three hours I started applying the first layers of paint. Haven't more pictures of that process but I'm quite sure you know how it works :lol

_MG_0050.jpg

And now there's a big gap between this image above and one following now... forgot to make some images...:angel
What has basically been done was me grabbing some brushes, a few acrylics, my Dremel and off we go. After around two hours of adding scratches, applying some paint here and there, sprinkling some dirty water on it and so on... the inner sphere was ready to be photographed :)

It's not finished yet as I already said but for now the paint is going to dry overnight and afterwards I will continue wheatering some certain spots I missed.
Sorry for the lack of nothing new in terms of motorizing stuff but that is sure to be included in the next update :D

For now, enjoy! :) Feedback and criticism is always appreciated!

_MG_0147.jpg

Watching CS:GO while working on projects is the best thing ever :lol

_MG_0116.jpg

_MG_0121.jpg

_MG_0122.jpg

_MG_0118.jpg

_MG_0123.jpg

_MG_0134.jpg

_MG_0126.jpg

_MG_0138.jpg

_MG_0153.jpg

_MG_0166.jpg

Thanks for watching/reading :)

Mario

Last edited:
Dude I'm blown away by this every step of the way. Also, good idea with the well designed project watermark on the last batch of pics. Are you putting those on each image manually or are you using a Photoshop plugin or other bit of software?

Dude I'm blown away by this every step of the way. Also, good idea with the well designed project watermark on the last batch of pics. Are you putting those on each image manually or are you using a Photoshop plugin or other bit of software?

Thanks a lot :D I've created the watermark in Photoshop as PNG. I'm using Lightroom's Export-options to chosse a custom watermark image... and yeah, that's basically it :)

Excellent paint job! Looking forward to the next update.

Really much appreciated, thanks a lot! :)

Looks sweet!

Merci!!

I mean, this is like, post-credits Wheatley with that amount of weathering!

Awesome job as always!

;)

Yeah man, I'm heading towards that style. It looks SO much better and gives me more freedom when it comes to painting it.
I'm trying my best not do overdo it. I just looked at Wheatley and immediately saw some certain spots I went ham haha. Gotta redo a little bit :D

Criticism! How can I even....okay...weather those brass screws a bit. :p. It all looks great.

They won't be seen anyway later on :popcorn :D Thanks a lot Mr.PipBoy!!

i need more lol this is absoluty just outstanding. the amount of work is amazing and its out of this world there is so much to account for.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back