PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley - 05.09. - Painting and Weathering!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ThePropBox, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Hi everyone! :)

Since I’m finished with my Gravity Gun replica (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=239884) I’m starting a new project because it feels it would be the right time to try out some new things I learned in the near past. And by that I mean motorizing stuff by using stepper motors, servos, drivers and all of the controlling which comes with it.
    Haven’t done anything like this in any of my projects before so I ordered myself some steppers and started playing around a little bit; to see what is possible and what isn’t :)

That gave me the inspiration to start on this very project, a completely animatronic version of Wheatley, the humorous robotic sphere you definitely know if you ever got to play one part of the Portal series by Valve.
    Back when I worked on the Gravity Gun I already started drawing all kinds of sketches to give me an idea how I could tackle the project at best. Wheatley isn’t a quite difficult character to construct when it comes to his overall shape but the challenge definitely lies in working out his internal mechanics.

I have studied Wheatley’s behavior quite a bit and came to the conclusion that a few of his moves are impossible to recreate while keeping the inside clean and not having it stuffed with mechanical parts, gimbals, gears and motors.
    Luckily @Fishbowl here on the forums was such a great help on the overall project by providing me with detailed views of Wheatley’s model from the game. Thanks you ever so much man, I really do owe you one :)

After weeks of thinking, trying and fooling around I came up with a mechanism which will hopefully fit perfectly inside Wheatley without compromising in variety of his movements too much.
    It’s not yet done to 100% but I’m so hyped for this project so I couldn’t wait any longer to get it started. I’m sure a few things will change while working on it but basically the main stuff is done already.

What I came up with so far is as follows; all of it has been done in AutoCAD and 123D Design. Like I said it’s not finished completely but the only major thing which is left to be done is constructing the eye-part and all the mechanics in it.
    I will explain the mechanics which are used to move the parts as I go along with the process.

Here's a brief overview of the model so far.

sketch5.jpg

sketch1.jpg

sketch8.jpg

sketch9.jpg

sketch4.jpg

sketch3.jpg

The purple thing is a micro servo which is used to pull the upper and lower bars on wheatleys front up and down. Same setup on the lower side.

sketch2.jpg

sketch11.jpg

And here's a little animation :)

wGIF.gif

What will be possible function-wise is as follows:

• Moving the eye-corpus 25° in every angle possible from its original position.
    With the Movement of the eye-corpus both vertical and horizontal rails move too.

• Moving the eye-pupil 15° in every angle possible from its original position. Rails move too.

• Moving Wheatleys eye-lids independently from fully open to nearly fully closed.
    I can’t make them shut completely due to the lack of space inside the corpus. There will be a gap of around 5mm left.

• Rotating the “bucket” in Wheatleys backside around 40° to the left and right.

• Moving Wheatleys front bars on the top and bottom independently to get even more expression.

• Having a proper sound module embedded to bring Wheatley to life and add personality.

• Controlling Wheatley via a remote app.

• Voice regonition.

• Using Wheatleys “flashlight”-function as seen in-game.

Now to the compromises I had to take due to stability issues:

The inner sphere won’t move back and forth as it does in the game since I would need a fixed anchor point to rotate the sphere around. I could use the outer shells for that but the reason they aren’t really strong nor do they connect to form a robust volume I scrapped this idea (for now).
    I open for any ideas though! Shoot them at me!

However, let’s get started with the project!

I started with the idea of roto-casting both of Wheatley’s spheres from Smooth-On 65D but scrapped the idea fairly quickly as I started working on the 3D model. Reason behind that is simply the amount of additional detail and functionality I need to build up within the spheres themselves; be it channels to route and hide cables, have certain holes and flanges integrated in them to fit several bearings, you name it!

As 3D printing is a thing now I decided to have the spheres printed in their full glory!
    I haven’t done any 3D printing before but got a hold of things quite quickly and so I started working on the 3D model of Wheatley which came out pretty well for my first try on 123D design *pats myself on shoulder* :D
    The printer itself is in my case a Wanhao Duplicator i3, a pretty low-priced yet awesome quality printer which got an 200x200x180mm build volume. Was going for a Lulzbot TAZ5 first, but the price wasn’t justified in my opinion as it’s five times as expensive as the Wanhao.

Let’s continue. Here are the finished outer shells which are going to get attached by magnets and hold onto the inner, thicker sphere. The magnets are seated inside the pockets along the mounting rail. So it’s quite easy to remove if some work on the inside needs to be done.

sketch6.jpg

I thought a lot about how to print the shells in the best way possible and the build volume of my printer happens to be perfectly in size for splitting up the two outer shells in only three parts each.
    And the ring can be printed as one part!

sketch10.jpg

The two pocket holes in the inner sphere will contain magnets aswell to have the outer shells align better and give them a good hold.

sketch7.jpg

The curved bumps on the inside are for putting bearings inside them. Those are used for having the rods of Wheatley’s upper and lower bars on the front rotate smoothly.
    The movement itself will be done by using servos, but more to that later on.

sketch12.jpg

Here you can see one part of the outer shell barely fits on the bed of my printer!

3ddruck.jpg

:lol :D

3ddruck2.jpg

Sorry for the text avalanche but I’m so exicted to show you what I’m going to have next sitting on my workbench :)
    I will be on vacation next week, however expect an update in the week after!

Cheers to all of you and thanks for checking out! :)

Mario

sketch5.jpg

sketch1.jpg

sketch8.jpg

sketch9.jpg

sketch4.jpg

sketch3.jpg

sketch2.jpg

sketch11.jpg

sketch6.jpg

sketch10.jpg

sketch7.jpg

sketch12.jpg

3ddruck.jpg

3ddruck2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. HighlanderFX

HighlanderFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica

[​IMG]

logan74k, CB2001 and B Wo like this.
  3. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Active Member

And subscribed.

I have the the full audio rips from the game if you're interested, you know where to find me.

SquishyShoes likes this.
  4. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Will look amazing :p

5. joberg

joberg Master Member

Very detailed project you've got there! Love it already:)

6. zapwizard

zapwizard Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't wait to see the design come together fully. The CAD design is great so far, I didn't know 123D could get that complex.

7. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your Wheatley will not only be animatronic, but also wisecracking, This is an impressive undertaking. I can't wait to see you bring such a beloved character to life!

8. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

I hope to meet your expectations haha.

DUDE AWESOME!
    I'll definitely drop you an mail regarding that. Thanks so much man, really appreciated! :)

I hope so :)

Thanks man! Great you're excited, cannot wait to get it actually started!

Mr. PipBoy himself, what an honor! Welcome onboard! :)
    I'm following every step on your PipBoy in awe and I have to say I've NEVER seen this level of dedication at any replica before. Hands down, you're simply an inspiration for everybody out there in the prop/replica scene. Cheers to Texas!

And thanks a lot for the kind words, that's actually my first try besides a few hours of mechanical engineering back in school using ProEngineer and CATIA.

It definitely will! :D I'm currently deciding if I should go with the option to have it controlled via a remote control as you wish or pre-defined movements and audio.
    Thanks a lot anyway and welcome onboard!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  9. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Active Member

@propbox It's the least I can do. I had other projects in mind for them and never got there. They're great to have.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  10. Fishbowl

Fishbowl Well-Known Member

Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeahh!

Here we go, so psyched for this project! The 3D stuff has come on quite a bit since I last saw it :D

EDIT: Just saw VALVe got in contact with you about your Gravity Gun. Told ya' ;)

11. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Definitely! I have recorded a few of them just to test the speakers I bought off eBay but the actual files are a must-have!

Haha yeah I was getting quite used to working with 123D since I last showed you them :lol It's a great program considering the fact it's totally free.

DUDE I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! Never even expected this happening in the slightest! :D

12. KennyZ

KennyZ Active Member

I'm planning to do pre-defined movements with Space Core since he's just a space fact spewing core. Seeing as Wheatley is a huge interactive part of the game I can see where people would be disappointed that he doesn't respond directly to them. Maybe a dual system where he sits and rambles (like in the game) and interactive where you can select some phrases and movements that correspond questions or people?

Subscribed, I can't wait to see more.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  13. ProminentProps

ProminentProps New Member

Any chance I could snag those 3D printer files from ya? :D

14. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

After a little bit of thinking I'm totally into actually controlling Wheatley via a remote control.
    Haven't done anything like that before but it shouldn't be that much of a hassle. Thanks a lot for your input dude! :)

Nope haha, sorry! :D

15. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 17.01. - Printing & stuff!

Hey everyone! :)

I know it's quite late in the mid of January but I still wanted to say that I hope everyone had a great Christmas time with their loved ones.
    I for myself have been on vacation for two weeks so not really any progress was done in the Christmas break but I started working on the 3D model after everyday life happens to be a thing again ;)

The model has been tweaked quite a lot when it comes to details and the mounting mechanisms which should hold it all together. To be honest that's quite tedious and I have to push myself everytime to actually do it but it will definitely pay off in the end.

However, enough of that. Let's talk pictures cause that's what you're here for :D

I decided to startwith printing the outer shell first to give me an actual understanding how big Wheatley is going to turn out in the end. All my sizing was calculated on an outer diameter of 350mm which turns out to be WAY too small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For inital measurement I bought myself two hemispheres with an diameter of 350mm and put them together. It was a proper size until you take in consideration that Wheatley's shells aren't actual full hemisphere's but rather have cut-out's on every side; which makes them appear A LOT smaller.

So I decided to pump Wheatley up for around 20% which resulted in an outer diameter of 420mm - which is perfectly fine. That meant I had to remodel every hole, every motor mount, every groove for a bearing.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately this enlargement made me cut Wheatley's outer shell into five segments each to actually be able to get printed. Since the thickness of the shells raised too this gave me the option to use better connection/mounting-options to actually connect all the parts to one bigger part.

All those parts are connected using 3mm and 6mm aluminium rods.
    I will get you guys some better shots later this week; just wanted to give you a quick heads-up :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the groove for one of the bearings which will hold the upper one of the front bars.

[​IMG]

While I was modeling on Wheatley I went shopping and got myself some nice fancy parts!
    All of them haven't arrived yet but I'm gonna show you the one's which are already here.

First of all the motors; this one is going to be used to make the whole inside turn around on its own axis. 50° in every direction from its origin. This stepper motor is a bipolar NEMA23 and can carry around 1,5kg.

[​IMG]

This little one will be used to move Wheatley's face from left to right.

[​IMG]

And those one's here... aw I love them. Those also are stepper motors which got an amazingly hight torque and are used in industrial stirrers and stir-applications.
    Don't ask where I got them from... :lol

In my case they will tilt Wheatley's face up and down and are mounted on the rails.

[​IMG]

Not stopping there. Some micro-servos are also needed for certain tasks like for Wheatley's eye-lids and his upper and lower bars.

[​IMG]

To support all the motors I got myself some axial needle rollers and bearing washers.
    How they're going to used later on will be shown in one of the next updates.

The big one is 155mm in diameter, the middle one 110mm and the small one 64mm.
    I had luck with all of them when buying since I got them nearly "for free". Usually the big one is priced around 150€/$ whereas I paid only 8 bucks including the washers. The shop I was ordering them from did the inventory and sold all the spare bearings with a 95% (!!!!!) discount!
    Fortunately they had from every axle bearing I needed one left :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some more... just in case :lol

[​IMG]

Controller-wise I'm going to build myself a remote control using XBees and two Arduinos to keep the transmitting all digital from the beginning (excluding the analog inputs).
    Here's the Arduino Mega which will get stuffed into Wheatleys back (image below); working on that now.
    The smaller PCB is the audio controller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parts should arrive this week; will keep you updated :)

Thanks for checking out guys!
    Mario

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Zwilliamo and Conqueror_Worm like this.
  16. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Active Member

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 17.01. - Printing & stuff!

This is exciting. I'm still working on my sketch.

17. zapwizard

zapwizard Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Note to self, take sexy macro photos when putting together my next project.

It looks great. Those bearings are insane.

18. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Awesome, I just had the time to check out your progress in your thread including all the videos and it's great to see that you're coming along with your project :)

:D
    Thanks a lot man, great to hear you're enjoying it so far.
    Cannot wait to drop you guys even more pictures of the progress so far. My 3D printer is running non-stop right now to get side panels finished...

19. Flyscriber

Flyscriber Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks totally awesome, at this rate the portal should be real in a few weeks, any ideas on quantum tunnelling. :)

20. joberg

joberg Master Member

Wow, those motors are all sexy and those bearings (I thought I wouldn't be excited with those, but man...:D). It all looks great from where I stand and I'm very impatient to see it all come together, of course!

21. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Thanks man! :) Hahaha back when I finished my Gravity Gun I've been asking CERN to help me out to make it work but they never really replied to my message.
    So my confidence in creating a working portal is heading towards zero :lol

Should have put a NSFW tag on there :D Great you're excited!
    There are so many details I need to take care of since it's my first time working with motorizing stuff so I hope it will turn out as great as I and you expect! Thanks for joining the ride :D

22. Fishbowl

Fishbowl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Gorpig, ThePropBox and CB2001 like this.
  23. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 23.01. - First shell ready!

:lol That's so awesome dude! This meme never gets old!

Another update incoming guys!
    Since all the parts of the first outer shell of Wheatley have been finished printing it was finally time to glue and combine them into one single piece.
    This was done using short aluminium shafts which were cut to lenght and glued in place.

What you can see is that some areas of the print turnt out incredible awful and I found out this was caused due to insufficient cooling the extruded filament after it was layed down on the part. When this problem was fixed all the parts turned out great.

The image below is NOT sponsored by Loctite :D

[​IMG]

The first parts were glued together and dried for around 15min until the rear shell parts were added.

[​IMG]

Due to the slight warping of PLA (not as bad as ABS but it's there) the seams are kinda rough and needs to be fixed up more than I wanted it to be :(
    Managable though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here on the bottom right hand side of the part you definitely can see the incedible awful print.
    Do not worry though, will clean that up later on :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the whole left side!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some sanding...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some little details :D Not glued though. In the meantime the outer (black) was printed to finish up the side.

[​IMG]

Stuffed a 11mm drill bit in there to see if the bars for the handles fit as good as they are supposed to.

[​IMG]

Currently the right shell is printing. Hopefully I can drop some images until the weekend to keep you guys up-to-date.
    It's quite exhausting for me to work on a 3D model sometimes because there are SO MANY things to work on :)

Thanks for checking out guys! Really appreciate it!
    Mario

Conqueror_Worm, Fishbowl and Sean like this.
  24. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Active Member

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 23.01. - First shell ready!

Amazing. I love your work.

ThePropBox likes this.
  25. karmajay

karmajay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! Great job. Once again 3d printing is a boon for projects!

ThePropBox likes this.
  26. Wayne Bakken

Wayne Bakken Active Member

this is looking great. your attention to the little details is excellent.

ThePropBox likes this.
  27. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

EDIT: After reading through it again I see that it's quite a specific problem and so very hard to figure out a solution if you don't have the model in front of you testing certain stuff... I let it here though... :)

EDIT2: I bought a few of these micro stepper motors here, maybe they can handle the load of the arms if I print them hollow: http://ebay.to/1NxzVxp

Thanks to all fo you for your motivational words! :)
    I've uploaded my project on my FB-fanpage on Sunday and one of my followers asked if I plan to make Wheatleys side panels open and close slightly like its seen in-game.

At first I responded "nope" but his idea has been stuck in my head since then; which basically means I'm going to do that... :lol
    Started drawing some rough sketches on my 3D model and figured out a way to open the panels but there's where the problem occurs.

On the very left image you can hopefully see the basic hinging system on which the panels move. The yellow parts are the hinges which are directly connected to the panels.
    The green thing is the servo motor which will have a little arm attached to it pushing/pulling the door. The leverage is quite small but the servo is able to move around 1kg so I should be fine.

On the image in the middle you can see the hole in the orange panel which holds the bearing for the front arm.
    You also can see the mounting seat for the servo in the transparent-purple part which I was going to use to tilt the front arms but is now void as the panel opens and closes and the connection between the servo and the arm would need to be variable.

I was thinking about using a fishing line and put the servo somewhere else but I'm really stuck with that now.
    I know it's kinda hard to explain and I will try to get a more detailed explanation on today's evening but maybe some of you have an idea which might help me continue with this task.

The image in the right basically shows you how it would look if opened :)

forum2.jpg forum3.jpg forum1.jpg

And this here was the initial setup to make the front arms move up and down...

sketch2.jpg

Thanks for reading everyone!
    Mario

forum2.jpg

forum3.jpg

forum1.jpg

28. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 07.02. - Equalizing effect, Video!

Hi everyone! :)

Just a short video of the equalizing effect of Wheatley's eye with a little talking of me!
    There are around 15 NeoPixel sticks inside the eye's corpus which are star-shaped arranged from the middle.
    I'm currently playing around with the timings and deciding if I should go with a sound-to-light module to catch Wheatley's voice and emulate it accordingly into some kind of VU-meter.

BIG update on that with all details is coming tomorrow! :)

Thanks everyone for reading!

29. joberg

joberg Master Member

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 07.02. - Equalizing effect, Video!

Himmel:eek You're really going all-out with that prop alright! Cannot wait to see the next update.

ThePropBox likes this.
  30. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Active Member

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 07.02. - Equalizing effect, Video!

Man. I can't wait to watch this later. I am excited to see it.

ThePropBox likes this.
  31. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

:) I'm trying my best! Just finished the whole eye-pupil and it's got around 300g in weight which is quite heavy.
    Now I'm considering reprinting it with lower infill to get the weight down a little bit. Don't want to stress the motors.

Thanks dude :D I already ordered a microphone with amplifier to catch the sound.
    Will try to implement it this week. Cannot wait to show you guys :)

32. sjanish

sjanish Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First off I must say what you are trying to do is awesome!

I am working on my own light/sound project and have been inspired by what some people have done with Wheatly. I do not have any moving parts, just sound sensitive flashing LEDs. I had originally planned on using the Vellman sound to light kit but then came across this site:

http://www.princetronics.com/sound-sensitive-lights-w-sound-sensor-arduino/

I have been able to play my sound clips and feed the signal back into the Arduino and get the lights to flash based upon sampling the audio signal. If you have the extra pins you can probably do it too.

Hope it helps.

33. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Very much appreciated, thanks a lot Scott!

Any chance to get a sneek peak of the stage in what you're currently in regarding your project? Curious to see! :)

The microphone seems to be similar to the one I ordered (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1063).
    If you scroll down a bit further on that website you will find a bunch of tutorials Adafruit provided for making your own sound-to-light module.
    I'm keen on trying the one with the tie as this perfecy resembles the way I want it to work in the end.

Thanks for your tutorial aswell! It's basically the same whereas Adafruit is using NeoPixel (RGB leds) and the guy on your webpage single leds.
    The advantage of using NeoPixels is that I only have to use one output pin for the digital signal.

:)

34. sjanish

I am using all Adafruit stuff too. The Bluetooth LE chips are perfect to make things wireless, their tutorials are awesome and support is helpful.

Circuit wise I am still prototyping on a breadboard. I still need to tweak the code for my flashing pattern, but it is pretty close to what I want.

Are you sure you want to use a microphone? Won't that pick up ambient noise and make things flash when you don't want them too? Adafruit support advised me how to run the sound signal straight back to the controller.

I am using traditional style LEDs. I am hoping I will be able to pull enough current to drive 38 of them without having to add additional hardware. At 20ma each it will be close, but I think I can drive them on less and call it good enough.

I can't get the video to work the way I want...you will have to follow the link. Hopefully it works.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...745&authkey=!AHWkX0XvFv72SAc&ithint=video,mp4

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  35. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Active Member

Upload it to YouTube. It's a pain but posting it here is easier.

36. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

You may be right on the microphone picking up the ambient noise... I'm not sure however if there's a possibility to actually run back the "impulses" of the sound to an Arduino and use that as controlling for the NeoPixels.
    Other than you I'm using the Sound FX Board (https://www.adafruit.com/products/2217) where I hook up 2 speakers. Not sure if there's a dedicated output so send the signals back to the Arduino aswell.

Thanks for sharing the video. Your setup makes sense yet I haven't figured it out to port it to my board... :)

EDIT: Oh I see you used the Tx pin to send the data from the audio controller to the Arduino? That would make sense at least!

37. sjanish

I am using the Feather to control the Audio FX via the serial pins. It uses the TX and RX to talk back and forth. It was confusing at first, but it opens up so many control options versus the basic trigger pin options.

We are basically using the same sound board, but yours has the amplifier built on. They are not currently selling those due to a hardware bug they are trying to track down. Use the L or R pin to run the same audio signal that comes out of the L or R terminal blocks. On mine it is not amplified, on yours, I don't really know, but would bet it isn't.

Here is what Adafruit support said when I asked them about running the audio back to my controller:

Don't ask me to explain it, but it works. I am very happy with my flashing lights. :D

ThePropBox likes this.
  38. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Aaaaaaaah, okay! Now it makes sense!
    I also made a post on Adafruits forum and they replied with just "Yes, use the L and R pins.".
    Not sure if I have to use a voltage divider also. Will look into that!

Cheers and thanks again. Hopefully I can make it work today to show you some progress :)

39. Slythenperior

Slythenperior Active Member

Hey there, love what you are doing and can't wait to see how it turns out. I am working on a similar half scale project, and was able to get a rip of the game model. Would you like me to send it to you so you can make sure that everything is as accurate to the game as possible?

ThePropBox likes this.
  40. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

If you really don't mind I would LOVE to see them! Thanks so much for offering! :)
    Can you upload them to imgur.com or should I provide you with a DropBox link?

Do you have any worklog on your project too?

41. Slythenperior

Here is a link the my drop box, it has a OBJ file of the game model and the textures maps. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2zokd7blea4816q/AAD114055XNk4ggYbPsDLF-ya?dl=0
    I don't have a work log but I will put one up soon.

Also Wheatley's side panels only open up when he is attached to GLaDOS' body. He also loses his handles when this happens. So unless you are going to build a GLaDOS body to attach him too I don't think you will need to have that function.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    ThePropBox likes this.
  42. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Dude I would like to hug you instantly! Thanks so much for sharing this model.
    I'm quite frustrated now since my errors are pointed out when looking at the file but better now than later in the process of actually building it! :lol

This is SUCH a great help! Again, thank you ever so much!

Yeah I try to keep the opening/closening mechanism in if I can manage to pull it of without loosing too much stability.
    The problem I'm having now is how to pull Wheatley's face from left to right as the up/down motion is done by the stepper motors holding the "rails" running inside of him.

43. Slythenperior

Yeah I had to rebuild most of what I had made to make it more accurate as well. Was worth it though, added a ton more detail and gave me ideas on how the parts could fit together.

As for the eye, could you have a motor pull a cord attached to the part connected to the rail?

44. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

That's exactly what I was planning to do.

There should be a stepper motor in the very center where the rails connect on the backside. It pulls/pushes welding wires inside of the rails whereas the wires are connected to the eye part. However as the eye slides along the rails it only can move for around 10° to the left and the right as the eye would get stopped by the rails.

Hope that makes some sense...

The rails are too long here of course. Just to get an idea of the concept.
    [​IMG]

I shortened the rails to an appropriate lenght but if I would move the eye the rail would need to be shortened a fair bit for it not hitting the eye.

[​IMG]

Now I was just thinking about splitting the rail itself in two parts whereas the inner (red) part is fixed and mounted to the motor which tilts it up and down.
    And have the blue part of the rail drive around... :unsure Quite hard to figure out...

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot for your input man, I really do appreciate it very much!!

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
  45. Slythenperior

I was thinking of doing a similar thing on my own. But since it is a half scale there is even less room to work with so I am just having it as a possible model. Just LED, changeable eye piece and speakers. Maybe the arm that we see holding wheatley before you pick him up. Use him as a lamp or something.

This is how I did it in my model. By not having the rails move like in the game it provides more stability and allows the eye to move around.
    rail mechanic.jpg

ThePropBox likes this.
  46. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 16.02. - Pupil "finished"! Video!

Hey everyone! :)

Finally an update on the process. I spent the last days designing the eye corpus and the eye pupil of Wheatley and I stumbled over some problems I need to figure out before proceeding even further.

Since the pupil of Wheatley is stand-alone I was able to finish it up and 3D print it which you can see here. Unfortunately there are quite a lot of a holes in the print due to missing infill structure to keep the top layer filament from caving in.
    Even though I’m a perfectionist I’m really not that concerned about that since lowering the infill percentage helps me greatly in saving weight for the stepper motors to move.

_MG_8431.jpg

The star shaped indents are for putting NeoPixel sticks in there (which you already saw in action in the video in the post before). And the middle round slot is for having a round PCB with also RGB LEDS stuffed in there to illuminate the center of Wheatley’s eye.

_MG_8435.jpg

After soldering cables to the NeoPixel sticks I printed a little helper to be mounted in my vise to easily align the LEDs and combine them to pairs of three.

_MG_8437.jpg

_MG_8441.jpg

And having them all stuffed inside the pupil and connected up the whole thing looked like this. A mess!

_MG_8452.jpg

_MG_8456.jpg

Of course there had to be something to cover up the LEDs and diffuse them in order to get a nicely lit eye. And at the best avoid any sorts of hot spots.
    This was done using some smoked 3mm acrylic which was perfect for the job. I had to cut it first though to fit the eye. A quick sketch in AutoCAD did the job and the print was glued onto the acrylic ready to get cut.

_MG_8461.jpg

Now… diffusing the LEDs is next. I was lucky to get my hands on some industrial used diffusion film which is AMAZING! Only 5mm above the light sources it removes and hot spots and spreads the light evenly.

The photo is horrible, I know.

_MG_8468.jpg

Here's a video :) It looks kind of stuttery but the motion is quite fluid (* you 30fps!!).

So my plan was to catch the audio signal from Wheatley as he speaks. With a microphone. Which was my first idea. Quite a dumb one. Because I didn’t think of all the ambient noise the mic would also catch and misinterpret :D Thanks to sjanish for pointing that out!

The other option and final solution is to feed the audio signal not only to the speakers but to an analog input of my Arduino which does all the calculations and make the LEDs turn depending Wheatley’s voice and speech. Will be included in the later update as I got to finish up the eye first!

Thanks for checking out guys!

Attached Files:

47. Gixxerfool

Gixxerfool Active Member

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 16.02. - Pupil "finished"! Video!

This is looking so great. You reminded me I have let heard back yet on my samples. I'll need to touch base with them again. If you still want the audio rips let me know. I have the raw files on another machine. I also did a high rate MP3 convert for more general use.

48. joberg

joberg Master Member

Wow! Some major sharing here! Thanks to Slythenperior:)) And great work on the eye PropBox! Eager to see the next update.

49. Slythenperior

If you are looking for a way to get the eye to change with the audio, may I suggest you look at how those that have made daleks have done it. They rig of the ears to flash when they talk, I think you might be able to modify something along those lines. Here is a PDF on how they do it. I don't have the technical know how to either understand or modify it but you might find it helpful.

50. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley Replica - 07.04. - Face mechanics finished!!

Hey everyone :D

Sorry for the silent last months but I haven’t really had any time to continue with Wheatley the way I had hoped I could. Unfortunately my motivation sitting in front of 123D design and work on the model was quite low so yeah… that’s how life goes!

But now all my energy kicked back in and I’m proud to present you Wheatleys face in it’s full glory. It’s just a screenshot from 123D though so no 3D printing has been happening so far apart from smaller bits and pieces I finished off.
    Wheatleys face was BY FAR the hardest thing I have ever come across to design considering I had to make sure to replicate all his expressions as accurate as possible. If you’re looking at it now you should see all the mechanics I managed to stuff in there.
    It’s quite simple you might say but I had quite the headache to design those and stuff them in there as there is not much space to work with. So a few movements are limited due to a lack of exactly this space.
    However I reached all my goals I set myself to implement and I’m really proud of myself :)

Here are a few pictures for you to look at. It maybe not all makes sense but I’m onto making a video explaining all the details :) apologies for now!!

So let’s start…

This is the base of Wheatley’s face. Bear in mind those parts aren’t finished completely as I’m currently planning the mounting mechanics for all the bolts, servos and electronics to keep it all together safely :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black parts on the image below are the mounts to attach Wheatley’s face to the rails running inside the sphere. Those are going to be mounted via M4 and M5 bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the hardest tasks was how to do cable management.

As Wheatley’s “heart” (Arduino) will rest in his back I needed to figure out a way to guide all the cables inside his eye to the back. I’ll be using four of the six pistons which are running from his eye to the backside – exactly what I needed ! :)

Those pistons are mounted using ball joints to move around as the eye moves too. For this purpose I had to design the sockets for the joints (transparent/silver in the images)
    After a little modification I had them hollowed out and a tunnel was made running inside the eye itself connecting all the different parts where servos, leds and cables will be.

It’s quite hard to understand but hopefully the pictures help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mad paint skillz should represent the cables :p

[​IMG]

The next thing are the eye lids.
    One servo at the top and one at the bottom are each pulling on a string the lids are attached to. If the servos let go, some weights inside the lids will pull them back down to the ground.
    And as the servos are rather quickly and gravity is too some serious fast movement is guaranteed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apart from the movement of the pupil which is basically mounted on centered ball joint and pushed/pulled by two servos (next update) one of the main movements I implemented is to turn the front ring of the eye.

You can see the purple part which is hinged on a grey and green lever. The green one is attached to a servo sitting in there. If the servo turns the purple part is moved up (or down). Since this part is mounted on Wheatley’s front face this gives me the freedom to turn it in every direction for around 35°. Not much, but it’s there :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As said I will try to come up with a little video to show you guys all the mechanics in action but you will have to bear with pictures for now :)

However… THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT! Feel free to ask questions if you have any. Happy to answer!

Cheers!
    Mario

TheWolfofBees, Wayne Bakken and B Wo like this.