Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in Works

Yep, sounds like Trek is "Launching another new network" :unsure

Yeah thats crap, why does every network need their own damn streaming service. I dont see this lasting long unless they eventually air it on network television or get it out there free somehow.

Well I cant's say if it's good or bad I assume they looked at Enterprise as a failure and do not wish to repeat that.
So a new way of sustaining revenue from viewership must have been factored in.

Well I cant's say if it's good or bad I assume they looked at Enterprise as a failure and do not wish to repeat that.
So a new way of sustaining revenue from viewership must have been factored in.

Well, I think the problem for many will be that they are limiting it to “yet another streaming service few want or need.” Other than a backlog of older CBS shows, what does this CBS service offer (other than Trek) to people who are going to watch TV via a streaming service aren’t already getting from, say, Hulu? I don’t see a new Trek series being some sort of tipping point that will drive enough subscribers to this service to really put it on the map when there are already better, more varied sources of streaming TV already out there.

And that’s the second point- you are correct, they are likely cognizant of the failure of Enterprise. But it doesn’t seem they learned anything from it. Let’s face it - Trek is “niche”, even much moreso today than it was in the 1970s, 80s or even 90s. If Enterprise couldn’t generate the audience/ad revenue to justify keeping it on the air when it was free (meaning some non-Trek types might stumble across it, give it a chance), why do they think there is such a fan base out there now who will put their money where their mouth is to pay $5.99 a month for a service that - again, other than Trek - seems to be duplicating a service they already pay for and which offers a lot more variety than just “CBS shows”?

I have a feeling this will be like Enterprise in another way - if not enough people pony up to subscribe to the service, CBS will just say “see? There’s no audience for Trek on TV anymore.” So it seems to be a bit of setting the show up for failure.

Not a huge deal for me - I never really followed Trek TV after TNG. But I do feel for the people who did and who want to support new Trek on TV. I just wish CBS wasn’t offering it only with strings attached.

M

The problem with Enterprise is the same problem they had with Voyager. no one took a RISK with Voyager. it was as if the ship was still in the alpha quadrant, just with new alien races.

If i was in charge of Voyager, I would have had the ship become a true generational ship. each season would skip 10 years, with gained crew members and lost old crew members...and the ship would radically look less and less like a starfleet vessel as the time went by and they gained new technology.

With Enterprise, the show would have been pure fan service, setting things up seen in tt he original series (tribbles, more andorians, more stories on vulcan).
Instead, they went with that stupid temporal cold war storyline.... and by the time time the series ended, they wheren't sure what they wanted it to be. They interupted Archers big speech to conclude a TNG episode done 20 years earlier for petes sake! Trips death was just kind of a side note! very disjointed series...all because tv doesn't want to take chances anymore.

The problem with the movies.... they are too much like star wars.. which is where JJ Abrams REALLY wanted to be. the last movie was a disjointed mess...and didn't need to be a retelling of star trek 2. if you're going to reboot the continuity..go in new damn directions!

sigh. I don't trust paramount to do anything right after they killed the turtles movie franchise ;o).

Well, I for one am THRILLED for this. It's Trek, it's new, it's TV and not an Abrams movie, and hell, that's WONDERFUL!!

:cheers :cheers :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, they're streaming service exists, but it's basically just back catalog stuff IIRC. Adding this to it seems purely a method to boost their subscriptions. There's no point in dropping cable/satellite and 'cutting the cord' if you gotta pay $10-15 to 10 different companies to see what you want. Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc...it adds up quick.

sounds like a good idea, a new series. now get some better writers that dont turn it into friends in space.

hmmm paid streaming service from CBS. cant wait to see it two years after it aired in the USA or just have to watch it illegaly.

will they be part of the JarJartrek continuity?

probably. people who did the new movies are behind this thing. And I thought ron moore and brannon time travel braga where bad.

I was kind of hoping now that JJ is behind star wars, we'd go back to real star trek and continuity. bring in Q to fix the whole mess. IDW kind of did that already.

probably. people who did the new movies are behind this thing. And I thought ron moore and brannon time travel braga where bad.

I was kind of hoping now that JJ is behind star wars, we'd go back to real star trek and continuity. bring in Q to fix the whole mess. IDW kind of did that already.

It would be really nice to leave that continuity in the movies. In a way, that would help the entire franchise. To me, none of the movies ever really worked. It's always been a weekly tv show

Ahh,I did not know who Kurtzman was.
I'm just going to assume Kurtzman is going to make more JJ Trek for TV.
Given that starting point I sadly cannot be optimistic unless I get more info to the contrary.

Incidentally, Robert orci produce the transformers: Prime cartoon and it was awesome.

Even though I kinda hate the guy

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well, I for one am THRILLED for this. It's Trek, it's new, it's TV and not an Abrams movie

...But it's Abrams' producer. :behave

“yet another streaming service few want or need

this

There's no point in dropping cable/satellite and 'cutting the cord' if you gotta pay $10-15 to 10 different companies to see what you want. Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc...it adds up quick.

This!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trek needs to be done in a GoT format.
With multiple story arches. Happening on different ships and planets
And get back to TREK
Not the JJ Wars we had in the movies.
When trek is at its finest is when it is cerebral. It's about exploring the human condition and for god sake. It's OPTIMISTIC!

Archers speech in Enterprise "Terra Prime" summed it up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oKDQtlgct6g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back