Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters

While the later Treks pretty much cemented the notion in a more consistent manner that the Federation is pretty hard-core secular on the idea of a supernatural deity the way our current civilization imagines one to be (i.e. The Federation sees the beings in the DS9 Wormhole as just another mysterious alien race, whereas the Bajorans see them as divine), It's pretty daft to try and completely do away with cultural expressions that, regardless of their supernatural origins, have become ingrained into the language. Certainly, some expressions may not be used by Federation people due to the way their culture evolved (something like "may God have mercy on your soul" would have little meaning for them) but exclamations such as "By God Jim, he's DEAD!" could still be perfectly natural in usage. Even in our current culture you will find atheists using such expressions.

It just seems the folks in the Discovery production are getting everything wrong in one way or another...

It's a common phrase even without any religious connotations. We still use a lot of phrases in modern language without any connection or even knowledge of their origin, but we use them because they have an understood meaning in our culture. Of all things for them to be pedantic about, that's about the least of their canon discretions.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

It's a common phrase even without any religious connotations. We still use a lot of phrases in modern language without any connection or even knowledge of their origin, but we use them because they have an understood meaning in our culture. Of all things for them to be pedantic about, that's about the least of their canon discretions.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Especially given that "God" is used as an exclamation in the TOS films (which, however Roddenberry himself might have wished otherwise, are just as canon as TOS itself). See, for example, Kirk's "My God, Bones, what have I done?" from ST III: TSFS.

M

OK, they finally show a transporter room that actually looks reasonable. (Not pre-TOS, but reasonable.)

Yeah I saw that too. They did say some time ago it would be more traditional on the Discovery over that time machine looking
mess, which fits nothing Trek. But nothing pointing to pre TOS at all either. Sadly the only thing so far has been a few props with the necessary echos of the proper era.

Uhura after gladiator planet.... Not the sun up in the sky, but the Son of God.
Kirk gushing to see it "all happen all over again."

Now you can look at this a few different ways and it was handled well.
At that time if you were not believing in god you were some kind of commie.
These days things are almost flipped around. And that's coming from someone who
is not religious, and I do use expressions that would imply I believe because you grow up with them.

Spock: [referring to Flavius] I wish we could've examined that belief of his more closely. It seems illogical for a sun worshiper to develop a philosophy of total brotherhood. Sun worship is usually a primitive superstition religion.
Uhura: I'm afraid you have it all wrong, Mister Spock, all of you. I've been monitoring some of their old-style radio waves, the empire spokesman trying to ridicule their religion. But he couldn't. Don't you understand? It's not the sun up in the sky. It's the Son of God.
Capt. Kirk: Caesar - and ******. They had them both. And the word is spreading... only now.
Dr. McCoy: A philosophy of total love and total brotherhood.
Spock: It will replace their imperial Rome; but it will happen in their twentieth century.
Capt. Kirk: Wouldn't it be something to watch, to be a part of? To see it happen all over again? Mister Chekov, take us out of orbit. Ahead warp factor one.
Chekov: Aye, sir.

------------------

They wouldn't touch a story like this today I think we all can agree there.

Uhura after gladiator planet.... Not the sun up in the sky, but the Son of God.
Kirk gushing to see it "all happen all over again."

Now you can look at this a few different ways and it was handled well.
At that time if you were not believing in god you were some kind of commie.
These days things are almost flipped around. And that's coming from someone who
is not religious, and I do use expressions that would imply I believe because you grow up with them.

They wouldn't touch a story like this today I think we all can agree there.

Absolutely. I think a lot of people get caught up on the idea that TOS is stylistically dated or, "ha-ha, isn't Shatner hamming it up" and that nonsense. But what they forget (or maybe don't know) is that at its core, TOS was about big and often controversial ideas despite the censorship limitations of commercial television in the late 60s. I'm still impressed that after all these years the show is still ahead of some contemporary shows in many ways.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I think a lot of people get caught up on the idea that TOS is stylistically dated or, "ha-ha, isn't Shatner hamming it up" and that nonsense. But what they forget (or maybe don't know) is that at its core, TOS was about big and often controversial ideas despite the censorship limitations of commercial television in the late 60s. I'm still impressed that after all these years the show is still ahead of some contemporary shows in many ways.

Agreed. So agreed.
TOS endures and does so so very well.

MCCOY: Do I have to say it? It's not bad enough there's one serpent in Eden teaching one side about gun powder. You want to make sure they all know about it!
KIRK: Exactly. Each side receives the same knowledge and the same type of firearm.
MCCOY: Have you gone out of your mind? Yes, maybe you have. Tyree's wife, she said there was something in that root. She said now you can refuse her nothing.
KIRK: Superstition.
MCCOY: Is it a coincidence this is exactly what she wants?
KIRK: Is it? She wants superior weapons. That's the one thing neither side can have. Bones. Bones, the normal development of this planet was the status quo between the hill people and the villagers. The Klingons changed that with the flintlocks. If this planet is to develop the way it should, we must equalize both sides again.
MCCOY: Jim, that means you're condemning this whole planet to a war that may never end. It could go on for year after year, massacre after massacre.
KIRK: All right, Doctor! All right. Say I'm wrong. Say I'm drugged. Say the woman drugged me. What is your sober, sensible solution to all this?
MCCOY: I don't have a solution. But furnishing them firearms is certainly not the answer.
KIRK: Bones, do you remember the twentieth century brush wars on the Asian continent? Two giant powers involved, much like the Klingons and ourselves. Neither side felt could pull out.
MCCOY: Yes, I remember. It went on bloody year after bloody year.
KIRK: What would you have suggested, that one side arm its friends with an overpowering weapon? Mankind would never have lived to travel space if they had. No. The only solution is what happened back then. Balance of power.
MCCOY: And if the Klingons give their side even more?
KIRK: Then we arm our side with exactly that much more. A balance of power. The trickiest, most difficult, dirtiest game of them all, but the only one that preserves both sides.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back