Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Didn't we all? They would have had the freedom to do whatever they wanted without worrying about being boxed in by canon, and could have had cameos by anyone from the TNG era if they wanted to.
I don't see the point of going with a known event in the classic era of Trek, but then ignoring the show's canon entirely and going with new designs to appeal to the JJ audience. It's like they're trying to appeal to everyone, except in the process appealing to no-one because of it. Too many cooks in the kitchen, but none of them know the recipe.

it'll be a mess just like that new nick turtles show.

Even though people have mixed feelings on the new films I thought it would have been better to set this series squarely in the new universe both visually and story wise. That would have given them the flexibility they clearly want but are trying to jam into the TOS universe. That's a much bigger ask.

Even though people have mixed feelings on the new films I thought it would have been better to set this series squarely in the new universe both visually and story wise. That would have given them the flexibility they clearly want but are trying to jam into the TOS universe. That's a much bigger ask.

I would have to disagree. Even though the movie have some merit, they are far from what they should have or could have been and the fans know it as do most people.
Star Trek can still be done right in the prime universe. Just look at Star Trek Continues or even the "concept" of Axanar. With the right support and the right
people, some thing new and special most certainly can be created.

I would have to disagree. Even though the movie have some merit, they are far from what they should have or could have been and the fans know it as do most people.
Star Trek can still be done right in the prime universe. Just look at Star Trek Continues or even the "concept" of Axanar. With the right support and the right
people, some thing new and special most certainly can be created.

bingo.

the new regime just doesn't care to first understand star trek, and then bother to get it right.

even the ship design is ugly.

I would imagine that they want it to be something like "The 100" or "Shannara Chronicles" which seemed to be all "pretty teenagers trying to be dramatic"

Yup, I would have loved to see the Federation explore new space with a ship built with post-warp propulsion. Voyager brought back TONS of new propulsion tech, they just couldn't permanently integrate or make use of all of it on Voyager itself. Roll it all into a new ship and get 7 seasons out of it exploring new space while also having stories with traditional Trek staples.

Between voyager bringing back new propulsion, and the fall of the Dominion at the end of DS9 they would have two new quadrants to explore, plus the fourth quadrant that's never ready been dealt with.

Eventually it's probably inevitable that someone will take advantage of that potential and make a show, but unfortunately, that could be years or even decades from now. The longer it takes for someone to go there, the less likely we are to have all that awesome cameo potential.

The longer it takes for someone to go there, the less likely we are to have all that awesome cameo potential.

Indeed. I mean honestly... how many of you out there teared up, even just a little, when McCoy says "Well, this is a new ship but she's got the right name. Now you remember that, y'hear? You treat her like a lady, an' she'll always bring you home."

Maybe I've been listening to too many Carl Sagan lectures recently, but I really want a new Trek series that has that hopeful exploration theme to it. All these modern Sci-Fi shows like The Expanse, Dark Matter, Killjoys and so on are very well done and interesting to watch, but they're also kinda depressing. (At least Abrams didn't go down the "edgy" road with his reboots...)

I would have to disagree. .

I just re read that quoted note in your reply..

one of the most contradictory statements i've read in a while here that i'm not even sure i can make sense of it right. especially since everything here shows they are clearly trying to make it look like the JJ universe. and even THAT had klingons that you could kind of recognize if you squinted at them right, although JJ Trek Klingon ships where not at all recognizable. we've only seen them infer it's the TOS universe in quoted text and nothing more.

I do sometimes wonder who on here secretly works for studios though on occasion ;o).

I was disagreeing that it would be better to have it set in the "new universe".

When I say "better" I don't mean that's a better direction to go necessarily as it divisive but based on what we have seen in regards to the look of the show and the stories they want to possibly tell it seems a better fit in the new universe.

And as that studio comment was directed at me by a coward, I am a Vice President of Investments at a major Wealth Management firm.

Putting in the new universe to give it freedom means you have to be stuck in that 'age' or with those characters for it to be successful which is entirely not true.

Post TNG is wide open.

It's a concept that easy to reboot, so to speak, every 20ish years or so. More even if you want. You chronicle the voyages of the ENTERPRISE. The TNG crew are all retired and likely a new class of ship is due and therefore a new crew to the 1017-F or whatever letter they're on. You are totally free to do whatever you want there. Etc.

Hell, Enterprise the show jumped into the 29th century. They could do that as well. Complete freedom there, 500 years after TNG or so. Plus, you could use the time travel they have for checking in on old friends, etc, if you choose to.

There's a ton you CAN do in the realtime without being restricted in the slightest.

The TOS crew aren't the only characters people like. There are those who favor TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise as their favorite. Seems a smarter take for the new movies would have been post TNG somewhere that has someone (or someones) who could have been spun off into the next TV show.

Putting in the new universe to give it freedom means you have to be stuck in that 'age' or with those characters for it to be successful which is entirely not true.

Post TNG is wide open.

It's a concept that easy to reboot, so to speak, every 20ish years or so. More even if you want. You chronicle the voyages of the ENTERPRISE. The TNG crew are all retired and likely a new class of ship is due and therefore a new crew to the 1017-F or whatever letter they're on. You are totally free to do whatever you want there. Etc.

Hell, Enterprise the show jumped into the 29th century. They could do that as well. Complete freedom there, 500 years after TNG or so. Plus, you could use the time travel they have for checking in on old friends, etc, if you choose to.

There's a ton you CAN do in the realtime without being restricted in the slightest.

The TOS crew aren't the only characters people like. There are those who favor TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise as their favorite. Seems a smarter take for the new movies would have been post TNG somewhere that has someone (or someones) who could have been spun off into the next TV show.

Yeah i don't disagree but it seems the producers are struggling trying to decide where this fits.

I was disagreeing that it would be better to have it set in the "new universe".

yep, I know. I was trying to make sense of the other post you quoted ;o)....

your reply was fine :)

I saw on social media on twitter that apparently the cast is having a read through of the third episode script.

I wonder if they have to say the blood oath to les moonves and his wife before even setting foot in a cbs studio property? :)

I wonder if those actors have any idea what they are getting into. Are they aware of all the negative buzz? Do they know that long-time Trek fans are hating this?

Maybe this fails so hard CBS/Paramount gets shocked back into making proper Trek. Like halfway through the first season, the main character just wakes up and she's on a normal post-VOY ship. All the weirdness was just a dream......:lol

I wonder if those actors have any idea what they are getting into. Are they aware of all the negative buzz? Do they know that long-time Trek fans are hating this?

Maybe this fails so hard CBS/Paramount gets shocked back into making proper Trek. Like halfway through the first season, the main character just wakes up and she's on a normal post-VOY ship. All the weirdness was just a dream......:lol

doubt most of them care. either they just remain hopeful, try to ignore it, or are doing it just for a paycheck.

doubt most of them care. either they just remain hopeful, try to ignore it, or are doing it just for a paycheck.
Or they know something we don't, and are working hard in hopes of proving us wrong.

roflx.gif
Yeah, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back