Darth Vader ROTJ Build - Studio 49

Hey buddy what do you use to make everything smooth?

To easy mate, I use filler for all my props.
I actually have posted what I use over in my build thread for my RMQ Vader. Check out post number 21, that should help answer your question. Also have a look at the helmet build position since I go through all the motions of filling, sanding and painting the helmet. Should help answer your question ;)
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246627&p=3760721&viewfull=1#post3760721

It's finally finished!
Yesterday I was able to power through the last remaining steps of my build. The grips are now installed and the wires attached.
For those looking to do the grip installation I first sanded down a millimetres off the base of the grips end where it overlaps the pommel, then I used heavy duty (but thin) double sided tape (the brand was Tarzan's Grip) then just a few dabs of liquid nails here and there for some added security. The grips and really nice and uniform so I'm stoked with how it turned out! The add bonus is since I didn't use and crazy type of glue, If I really needed I could remove the grips with damaging the chrome

All in all I love this mini-build, it was challenging at time but I throughly enjoyed coming up with new solutions that others hadn't, like what I did for solving the rivet holes.
The best part is I can now say I made my own Lightsaber it looks awesome on display with the rest in my collection

12A_zpsttel6bjo.jpg

12C_zpsmlfwdhec.jpg

12E_zpskbxbnana.jpg

12I_zpsbtppwlpp.jpg

Last edited:
Love the MPP ESB. One of the ideas I've toyed with once I get a replica MPP is finding a 1 1/2 inch dowel, gluing some wet n dry to it and sanding the bottom of the grips where it sits over the threaded battery cap. No gap then.

Awesome work though dude!

I've very much enjoyed your lightsaber build! Well, I've actually been enjoying the entire build, but as I'm also working on my own Vader lightsaber build (albeit slowly), your build & tips have been a Godsend. I love how it turned out. It looks amazing! Hope to be finishing mine before too long.

Love the MPP ESB. One of the ideas I've toyed with once I get a replica MPP is finding a 1 1/2 inch dowel, gluing some wet n dry to it and sanding the bottom of the grips where it sits over the threaded battery cap. No gap then.

Awesome work though dude!
Thanks mate I really appreciate it!

I've very much enjoyed your lightsaber build! Well, I've actually been enjoying the entire build, but as I'm also working on my own Vader lightsaber build (albeit slowly), your build & tips have been a Godsend. I love how it turned out. It looks amazing! Hope to be finishing mine before too long.
Thank you sir, both the compliments on the saber and the build. To hear that the stuff I did with my build helped other builders, that's a very awesome thing to hear. I'm stoked that my build help you out ;)
By the way I'll be looking forward to seeing you build as well ;)

That's really an awesome thread man! You're doing great work! Can't wait for the next steps! Go on!

Thanks mate, so close to the finish line now! Paul (bookface) is casting my armour and helmet as we speak! Can;t wait to get my Darth Ugly Helmet and Chest Armour from him :)

Really excellent tutorial mate.
I've got exactly the same set up needing to be built - Parks hilt with MPP badge, metal shroud and hard tracks.
Your steps will be great reference.

Really excellent tutorial mate.
I've got exactly the same set up needing to be built - Parks hilt with MPP badge, metal shroud and hard tracks.
Your steps will be great reference.

Thank you mate! And good luck with your build, the Parks MPP scrubs up real nice ;)

Alright everybody I have a big update, finally my Vader helmet and armour is almost ready to ship!
If all goes to plan I should have a Big Brown Box by the end of next week!
Guess it's time pitch that tent by the letterbox and just skip out on every other commitment I have

Just bought my 2 Aker Speakers, should hopefully arrive around the time I'm ready to do submission photos.
I'm looking forward to firing up that Vader breathing loop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright so I was able to find some time to start fiddling with seeing if my foam mat Idea works and I can say it works surprising well!
So I just used your standard Stanley knife and to keep them straight all I need because i already have a nice tight fit, the mats have some double sided tape in-between. So this is really really cheap and easy. All you need is some time to plan out the placement and then cut it all out.

On to the pictures!
(It's not 100% done since I'm still mulling over how the other parts will stack/store around them and also working out if I should have a thin layer of something between these and the next...)

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums...ader/Storage and Transport/3A_zpslvyhid32.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums...ader/Storage and Transport/3B_zpsbe730aoj.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums...ader/Storage and Transport/3C_zpspskmjqlv.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums...ader/Storage and Transport/3D_zpst9a7tdat.jpg

I really like what you've done here. It's a simple yet elegant solution that looks like a presentation/display as well as storage. Function following form, I'm a big fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like what you've done here. It's a simple yet elegant solution that looks like a presentation/display as well as storage. Function following form, I'm a big fan.

Thanks mate. I've got to say I'm pretty proud of it and I'm surprised no one else has come up with this for Vader and for only $24 AUD its ridiculously cheap
biggrin.png

I can travel knowing my precious parts are safe and sound now.... dare I even say Plane Proof or Travel to Star Wars Celebration proof?
wink.gif
Ha, that'll be a long way off ever being able to get to a SW Celebration but I now have something I can travel all over the place with if needed

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back